Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Fake Field Goal - Defense bailed out Tomlin on that horrific call

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers Fake Field Goal - Defense bailed out Tomlin on that horrific call

In the post game, Tomlin said: I made the call and the guys backed me up like I knew that would. It's on me.

Thankfully the defense forced a 3 and out on the next series so no harm in the end but good grief how in the world are you going to potentially put the game in the hands of the kickers hands instead of his feet?! Goodness, it could have been catastrophic but thankfully it worked out in the end.

Lesson learned; on the road in a close game, don't make the trick bonehead call. If it works I still would have complained that it was risky..LOL

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Agree BRC...that play was not really us...something a college team might try. Even so, execution was not bad; the Jints simply were not fooled. As CBS' Sims commented, confidence in Steeler D gave MT the courage to try it.
    STEELSPIKES

I think part of the call was knowing the defence was playing so lights out. If they wanted to go for it I would have preferred a Redman run and let the offence try, but hey it didn't work out and we still won so I won't give it a second thought

My Mood
    Addicted
    Terrible call regardless of how the defense was going to play. So, instead of asking Redman to run one yard, you hand Suisham the ball 7 yards behind the yard of scrimmage and expect him to run? I'm so sure...

Yeah but if it did work you would be saying"what balls" I still didn't agree with the call either, but thank god all is good. Oh and Fu_k U refs pieces of **** u almost cost us this game.
    Last edited by North Steel; 11-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Terrible call regardless of how the defense was going to play. So, instead of asking Redman to run one yard, you hand Suisham the ball 7 yards behind the yard of scrimmage and expect him to run? I'm so sure...
    This got me chucklin just now cause I want SS to focus on kicking and nothing else. Leave the running to those guys who keep crackin the 100 yard mark.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    I disagree. I think it was the perfect time for that call. The Giants would be pinned down and the D had dominated them and we had all the momentum. It was shear luck that the Giants defender took the outside or it would have been good for six... or at least the first down.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    I was thinking the samething if youre going to try and do something like that and fake it just go for it and run it up the middle with Redman. He was pounding it all day and it was just a ridiculous call on the part of Tomlin to go for it there....Luckily the D who played great today bailed them out and the Steelers hung on and won the game and overcame everything...

Rookie Free Agent Steelers/PSU Fan's Avatar
    Horrible play call, we would have got the 1st down or TD by just running Redman, why give it to Suisham lol, little white boy can't muscle that in.
    Release the Keisel!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I disagree. I think it was the perfect time for that call. The Giants would be pinned down and the D had dominated them and we had all the momentum. It was shear luck that the Giants defender took the outside or it would have been good for six... or at least the first down.
    No way. Why in the world would you do a fake FG on 4th and 1 foot? Run Redman or a Ben sneak with a success rate of probably 90 percent. Fake FGs are high reward but also high risk. As someone else said, you are putting faith in kicker running from 7 yards back instead of a back who has been dominating or a 265 pound QB. It makes no sense.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Thread Information