Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Fake Field Goal - Defense bailed out Tomlin on that horrific call

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Bad call, glad it didn't haunt us.

Time to move on to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    In the post game, Tomlin said: I made the call and the guys backed me up like I knew that would. It's on me.

Thankfully the defense forced a 3 and out on the next series so no harm in the end but good grief how in the world are you going to potentially put the game in the hands of the kickers hands instead of his feet?! Goodness, it could have been catastrophic but thankfully it worked out in the end.

Lesson learned; on the road in a close game, don't make the trick bonehead call. If it works I still would have complained that it was risky..LOL
    From that close, take the points. To run that play, they must have noticed something in the scouting reports, otherwise I see no need to take that chance on a 23 yd fg. 40 of 45 yarder, perhaps its a different story becuase of a more intense rush from the defense, but in this case, the Giants were conceding the FG so with a lack of a rush, there was no chance this would work.
    Thankfully, the defense held their own and bailed out the Steelers.

now, LET'S AVOID THE TRAP ON MONDAY NIGHT!

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    From that close, take the points. To run that play, they must have noticed something in the scouting reports, otherwise I see no need to take that chance on a 23 yd fg. 40 of 45 yarder, perhaps its a different story becuase of a more intense rush from the defense, but in this case, the Giants were conceding the FG so with a lack of a rush, there was no chance this would work.
    Thankfully, the defense held their own and bailed out the Steelers.

now, LET'S AVOID THE TRAP ON MONDAY NIGHT!
    Here is the issue I have with going for three. It was 4th and 1 foot. With Pouncey, Colon, Foster, and Will Johnson blocking I suspect the chance of Redman making it is about 70-80 percent. Ben leaning forward in a sneak, close to 100 percent.

Both a FG or a fake is a gift to the Giants, IMO.

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Terrible call regardless of how the defense was going to play. So, instead of asking Redman to run one yard, you hand Suisham the ball 7 yards behind the yard of scrimmage and expect him to run? I'm so sure...
    Exactly!!!! i didn't like the call at the time of the game and even though we won i still don't like the call. If you are going to make that call put the ball in the hands of somone that is use to running the ball!! But i still say at that point get the for sure 3 points and tie the game up!

If the Steelers defense wasn't playing the way it was, Tomlin wouldn't have made the same call. Outside of poor calls, the Gaints wasn't readlly moving the ball.

The Gaint first TD was help by a bad pass interfrence call on Lewis and the a even worst helment to helment call on Clark.
    The Gaint second TD was a very questionable call on the "TUCK" rule. I for one don't like the rule, but if they are going to call it....call it right.
    And their third TD was on a poor call when they said Brown crossed the goal line. Now it's bepatable if they would have scored anyway, but he DIDN'T score on that play.

The Gaint gain less than 200 total yards in the game: So do I like the fake FG call, NO, but I can understand why. Personnally: I would have line up in "I" formation and play action and hit Miller for the score. BESIDE that call would have help my fantasy team

i would have reather seen redman get stuffed or get the FD/TD, or take 3, but why put the ball in the HANDS of suisham lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What scares me is, Tomlin made that call because he felt the defense would bail him out, which they did. He also had Suisham try that 54 yd earlier this year because he felt Shaun had a legit shot at making it, and it failed. Point is if he makes another one of those crazy calls again he better be damn sure this team is back completely because that kind of stuff can cost you a game, and we can't afford that right now.

It worked out, and the defense got pressure, just enough of it when needed but at the time I was having a coronary! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Here is the issue I have with going for three. It was 4th and 1 foot. With Pouncey, Colon, Foster, and Will Johnson blocking I suspect the chance of Redman making it is about 70-80 percent. Ben leaning forward in a sneak, close to 100 percent.

Both a FG or a fake is a gift to the Giants, IMO.
    My thought process is take the points on the road, tie up the game, and go from there. If the Steelers were home, I say go for it. . .but that's me.

Thread Information