Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive studs? Do we have any anymore?

Bookmark and Share
    Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville

Defensive studs? Do we have any anymore?

I posted in another thread that it's been a while since Troy was an impact and I started thinking...."when was the last time a defensive player had an awesome three or four game stretch?"

Woodley had a great game last week and I remember Timmons having a great game a couple weeks ago but the last real run of studliness, that I can remember, on this defense was Harrison two years ago.

Can you guys recall an outstanding stretch of games by one of the guys on D?

Before Woodley pulled that Hamstring against NE last year, he was having a DPOY type of year. In the 4-game stretch alone when Harrison was out with his broken orbital bone, he had multiple sacks in each game, an INT, and a forced intentional grounding in the endzone for a safety. The man was possessed. I'm convinced that had he not pulled his hamstring in the game against NE, he would've been a serious DPOY candidate. He had 9 sacks in the first 8 games of the season, pulled his hammy week 8, and only appeared in 2 more games.

Defensive studs? Do we have any anymore?

McClendon <sp> is a beast IMO but never sees the field!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Ike Taylor had a great stretch of games last season as well. He was great all year though. Last season Ike gave up 40 catches on 96 attempts, a 41.7 percent completion percentage against him. that was second only to Darrelle Revis who's completion percentage against him was 41.2, but with 11 less balls (85) thrown his way. Third place last season was Brent Grimes with 44.6&#37; completion percentage, but he had 40 less balls thrown his way than Ike...40.

I know Ike didn't blow up any stat sheets, but he kept opposing WRs practically completely off them.

It has been a while since we've brought in a young guy who just turned out to be a stud. Woodley had that great stretch last year, and have been very very good for his time with us, but aside from him I don't recall any young player on defense making a difference. Like, we never really hit the JJ Watts or the JJPs and those kind of players. One who just really excites you and lifts the team. In other words, its been a while since we've had any young playmakers.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Clowns

Re: Defensive studs? Do we have any anymore?

I was really hoping this would be the year for Timmons. After flip flopping between inside and outside last season this was going to be a big year for him. When he's rushing the passer and flying through the line after the running back, and he really is special to watch.

Ryan Clark is quietly having himself a good year, and clearly the most consistent player on defense so far.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Manic
    The stud would have been Sean Spence

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    The stud would have been Sean Spence
    You may be right, unfortunately we may never know.

I hope to see the Steelers dabble in FA a bit this off-season (on the defensive side of the ball). We have too many holes to fill by the draft.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    You may be right, unfortunately we may never know.

I hope to see the Steelers dabble in FA a bit this off-season (on the defensive side of the ball). We have too many holes to fill by the draft.
    What your saying is logical. So Colbert won't do it. With a solid draft and just a couple of additions from free agency, we could be right where we want to be. A logical GM would know that while we have a franchise QB in his prime, you must maximize the time you have him.

I'm not saying go out and break the bank in free agency. I"m just saying that we need to use it for a couple of key spots and then make better selections in the draft, and we would be a really good team.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Timmons and Clark are playing pretty good. Foote is having a decent year, and Lewis has shown promise here and there.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Thread Information