Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers put a spy on RGIII?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Should the Steelers put a spy on RGIII?

When you have a scrambling QB, sometimes it can be a good idea to put a linebacker spy on him. Basically just designate someone to follow RGIII around the entire game, wherever he goes so goes the spy. With III being so versatile, and being able to outrun many DB's in the league, they'll have to be careful.

The downside is, you of course leave yourself a man short in coverage, run defense or the pass rush so it's a double edged sword. Should the Steelers do this then it would likely be Timmons because he has good quickness and speed for a big linebacker. He's not going to outrun III but taking a good angle could at least slow him down and limit his effectiveness on the ground.

I've never really been a fan of the spy necessarily, but Lebeau might use it in certain situations where the entire playbook is open. You wouldn't necessarily need it on 3rd and 15 because that's a more obvious passing situation but perhaps on 2nd down it could effective.

They will put Timmons on him I believe to follow him around. We have to stick with the 3-4 defense because of Washingtons ability to run the ball (number 1 overall). If we get beat by RG3 passing, then hats off to him. I notice alot of his passes are around the middle of the field. I think the D will be ready.
    Last edited by steelchamp204; 10-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Should the Steelers put a spy on RGIII?

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    They will put Timmons on him I believe to follow him around. We have to stick with the 3-4 defense because of Washingtons ability to run the ball (number 1 overall). If we get beat by RG3 passing, then hats off to him. I notice alot of his passes are around the middle of the field. I think the D will be ready.
    That's what I was thinking..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    If everyone maintains their responsibility and resists the urge to cheat on him we should be okay.
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If everyone maintains their responsibility and resists the urge to cheat on him we should be okay.
    A running QB should never beat a good defense..........do we have a good defense?
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    When you think about it,

We haven't been getting to the QB anyway. So with that said, if the guys just stay in their lanes then we should contain him for the most part. Bad part is that when you are concentrating so hard on lane integrity, your susceptible to the running game more then not.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

You don't have to spy Mr. Griffin. You're offense will be able to torch our atrocious secondary all day so any numbers he puts up are just window dressing for his ROTY award.

woodley and harrison can spy.. they couldnt sack Dalton, probably better to wait on the ends for RGIII to scramble outside...

Should the Steelers put a spy on RGIII?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    You don't have to spy Mr. Griffin. You're offense will be able to torch our atrocious secondary all day so any numbers he puts up are just window dressing for his ROTY award.
    Your boys will be ready to play. Both teams will have good opportunity to torch the secondaries...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    Timmons

Thread Information