Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thoughts on Mike Adams?

Bookmark and Share
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Again, with only 35 players under contract we have no cap room. Where would we find money for a real LT? And don't say cut Hampton, Foote, Allen or anyone else who isn't under contract next year.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2
    Left tackles aren't exactly cheap either. If they are going after a FA, something I strongly advocate by the way, the defense needs far more help. Get a Farrior or Ryan Clark kind of guy, or hell, even a back up safety better than Mundy. Far too much on D needed to spend that much on the line, as nice as it would be.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    cap is gonna go up significantly next year
    No it's not. And it won't the year after either.

Quote:
    So, according to Kraft and Bloomberg, the NFL's revenue increase will not be a large jump from one year to the next, but a gradual increase, with the final annual rate being much larger than the current rates.
    Endquote:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/3/2...e-dramatically

Thoughts on Mike Adams?

I'm perfectly fine going into next season with the guys we have now.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Mike Adams named to PFF's team of the week:

Tackles: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, NYJ (+4.1) and Mike Adams, PIT (+3.9)

Ferguson edged out Trent Williams with a superb display against rookie sensation Chandler Jones, giving up just one hurry. Meanwhile for the Steelers, Mike Adams had his best game to date, doing some excellent work in the running game.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-week-week-7/

Piece on Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

The Steelers discovered something besides a road victory Sunday night in Cincinnati: An offensive line that looks as if it can shake off the shaky reputation of its past and perform at a level not seen from them in several years.

The line might have had its best game against a good Cincinnati front, and it did so with two of the five positions filled by backups. One of those second-teamers, though, might soon become a regular starter.

Rookie Mike Adams made his first NFL start because of an injury to right tackle Marcus Gilbert and did well enough to have Mike Tomlin singing his praises again Tuesday.

"We're optimistic about his talent level and what he's capable of being. He didn't do anything to hurt that assessment. I think he's continuing to be a guy on the rise. I think his performance was a solid one. I thought he was good in the run game. I thought he was good on the second level, some combination blocks, and I thought he represented himself well in pass pro[tection]. It's a nice next step for him."

This comes from a coach who through the years would hold back praise for rookies and point out that they were, well, rookies, especially after one like Adams has taken so few snaps.

Adams has done well in the past seven quarters playing for the injured Gilbert, and that sets up a possible long-term competition between their past two second-round draft choices. Or does it?

After the Steelers drafted guard David DeCastro, they said they were moving Gilbert, who started 14 games at right tackle as a rookie in 2011, to left tackle. Then, they drafted Adams, a left tackle from Ohio State, in the second round. Then, they re-signed left tackle Max Starks.

The plan shifted. Starks would play left tackle until Adams was ready to move in, and Gilbert would remain at right tackle. But their thinking could again change, especially if Adams continues to perform well at right tackle.

Adams did not do so well as a left tackle in the preseason. One source from another team cited him as too slow-footed for the position. Quick feet are not as necessary at right tackle, a more run-blocking position and one that often has a tight end to his right and does not protect the quarterback's blind side or usually go against the opponent's top pass rusher.

On the other hand, Tomlin has said left tackle is Gilbert's more natural position, and Gilbert said he'd prefer the left side if given a choice.

It sounds as if the Steelers young tackles could be in for a switch in sides. Neither is ready to move Starks out on the left. Adams, though, could stay at right tackle this season if he continues to play well there.

Sunday, Adams will face Washington Redskins outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, a first-round draft choice in 2011 with 3 1/2 sacks and an interception this season.

"I'm sure he is excited about having the next opportunity to prove his skills against a solid pass rusher like Kerrigan," Tomlin said.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...tackle-658881/

I am all for having Gilbert at LT next year with Adams at RT. hard not to be optimistic about this line in the future.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Piece on Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...tackle-658881/

I am all for having Gilbert at LT next year with Adams at RT. hard not to be optimistic about this line in the future.
    I must be watching a different guy there is no way Gilberts fat *** has quicker feet than Adams. Adams just needs to play so he can adjust to the speed of the game

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I must be watching a different guy there is no way Gilberts fat *** has quicker feet than Adams. Adams just needs to play so he can adjust to the speed of the game
    Gilbert's strength is pass protection. Adams' strength is run blocking, though he'll be a good all around tackle. Both are capable of playing either side, but I think Adams can be a dominant RT in this league, and Gilbert can be a solid LT. ****, last season Gilbert was rated the 13th best tackle by PFF in terms of pass protection. That's out of RTs and LTs, and he was just a rookie. They drafted him as a LT, but moved to the right because Colon got hurt. The man can play LT. It really doesn't matter to me, they'll both be fine whichever side they're on.

Thread Information