Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who starts at RB Sunday night?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent Blitzburgh_Mike's Avatar

Who starts at RB Sunday night?

Does anybody know yet? Throughout the week it's gone from Baron Batch to Rashard Mendenhall to Jonathan Dwyer. I have fantasy implications on this! Should I start or bench Mendenhall this week?

Mendenhall and Redman out. 99 percent sure that Dwyer is going to start. Can't see them possibly starting Baron Batch.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Re: Who starts at RB Sunday night?

No doubt about it, Dwyer gets the start. There's no reason whatsoever that Rainey or Batch would start over JD. Nothing against either but Dwyer is the most experienced and had a good camp and preseason.

This is his time to shine.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

As long as Dwyer hits the hole hard (if there is one) and holds on to the ball, I'm fine with it. Steelers don't need to rush for 200+ , but they need to average 4+ per carry so help slow down the Bengals pass rush.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Bengals run defense isn't exactly stellar, they 21st in the league vs the run. If Dwyer wants to stake his claim towards more playing time then he better have a good performance. I would think Haley is going to try and take advantage of the run defense to some degree, and JD has a good game they could decide to give him more snaps over Redman.

Awe hell, who am I kidding...Dwyer could have 150 yds and 2 TD's and would likely still be 3rd string.

The only drawback to this is the Steelers are a heavy run on 1st down team so they should expect a lot of run blitzes early. Out of a running formation, perhaps a play action screen or a dig to Heath or something high percentage to gain some positive yards on 1st down. Doing this should help open things up for JD throughout the game. Key here for him is to hold on to the ball.

Regarding depth chart, I think it has come down to the healthy guy starts.

Doesn't really matter due to the fact that Rainey,Dwyer,Batch are all averaging under 3 yards a carry. Experience will come into play here so I believe Dwyer gets the start hands down. Batch will be number 2 and Rainey will be the 3rd for designed swing passes/screens.

Banged-up Steelers Mendenhall and Redman out vs. Bengals

By Dan Hanzus

Published: October 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM ET

Modified: October 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM ET

The challenges never cease for the beleaguered Pittsburgh Steelers running game.

Running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman did not practice on Friday and will not play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals .

Mendenhall's Achilles tightened up on him during Pittsburgh's 26-23 loss last week. The team had hoped the soreness would dissipate enough to allow Mendenhall to go in Week 7. A bad ankle has kept Redman out of practice all week.

The short-handed Steelers will lean heavily on Jonathan Dwyer , who will start, and figures to get the most touches out of the backfield.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @danhanzus .
    "Happy Happy Happy"

We're f'd!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    Mendenhall is always the best option .I couldn't help but think last week when i saw Redman wide open that if it had been Rainey or Batch that they would have scored on both of the big plays that Redman had i think Al Woods may be faster than Redman. so look for lots of short passes to all the backs

I suspect Dwyer will leave this game with turf toe

Thread Information