Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tomlin needs to put his stamp on this team.

Bookmark and Share

tomlin needs to put his stamp on this team.

Is it racist for me to say I think what Tomlin brought to this team was the Rooney rule?? I hope not but I think they were sold on him for that...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Is it racist for me to say I think what Tomlin brought to this team was the Rooney rule?? I hope not but I think they were sold on him for that...
    I hope not. I'm really not a big fan of the Rooney Rule. When is the last time racism has been an issue in the NFL? If I recall, the NFL was always ahead of the rest of the country in that regard. Besides, if a GM or an owner already knows who they want to hire as head coach, and the guy just happens to be white, it makes the Rooney Rule look like a joke. If a guy is looked upon as a potential good coach, he'll get a job regardless of the color of his skin.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    well i doubt tomlin leaves anytime soon. You know how we don't change coaches. Unless we go 0-16 the next two seasons.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    I dont think he will be fired or leave within the next few seasons but I dont see him at this point being like Cowher and staying here for 15 years and being able to leave on his own terms...If Tomlin lets say would miss the playoffs this year and next year especially after having a 1st round playoff exit last season and just getting a new contract extension the heat is really going to be turned up on him by this fanbase a great deal...I think he is safe for now and we will see how the rest of this season plays out but should they miss the playoffs this year and have a bad record and miss it again next season Tomlin could be in a little bit of trouble...

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I dont want this to come off as a racist statement or anything along those lines but I think the this Steelers team especially over the last few seasons have simply become thugged out under Tomlin guidance. I mean look at the way guys act after they make big plays,look at all the personal foul penalties and hits to the head game in and game out and just the penalties per game in general. There is no discipline on this team under Mike Tomlin because you have a head coach in Mike Tomlin who has a thug like mentality with his mannerisms on the sideline and it rubs off on this team more and more every single week. Like I said I dont want this to sound like it's a racist comment or anything because I seriously dont have a problem with black people or anything even remotely close to that but how many white players are on the Steelers now?? Ben,Heath,Keisel,Decastro Suisham Legusrksy,and I guess you can count Troy as well. Now if this post offends people in anyway I apologize but I am not going to apologize for feeling the way I do here the last few years about Tomlin because I think my statements have some truth behind them...
    If you don't want to sound racist then don't write "i don't want to sound racist ""or seriously i don't have a problem with black people" .Who are you trying to convince? and no troy is polyneisan and you forgot drew butler,greg warren,david paulson,ryan lee,john maleceki.Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league .and if you think that coaching doesn't make a huge difference look at the Saints this year.it's the same team way different results.trust me there is no fear factor in coaching that's laughable. it's about respect. the problem with this defense is the younger players haven't learned how to win yet.but they will and we will be fine.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Cowher stuck around so long because it took him so long to get his ring.Tomlin got his in his second year.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Manic
    IT'S funny no one remembers the years that Cowher went 8-8 9-7 I'm afan of the chin but Tomlin didn't ride Cowher's team because Kevin Colbert is the main driver of building the team

@TROYISABEAST43 SINCE WHEN Did the rooney's ever cave in to pressure from the fan's to fire a coach?...........................never.
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 10-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Draft Pick
    I'm no fan of Tomlin, but I believe he has just as many rings as Cowher no? There were some questionable personnel moves under Cowher as well. Now whether Tomlin won the super bowl with Cowher's players is pure conjecture. There were some pretty bad seasons with Cowher at the helm. How many good coaches never win a super bowl? The thing that bothers me about this team is the inability to beat up on poor teams. Maybe drafting as low as we've been drafting has something to do with it as well. You can't be really good every single year. Maybe it's time to dip into free agency a little? We need a starting safety and a corner. We also need d linemen and o linemen still. We have a ton of holes to fill. It will be interesting to see how well we do in the upcoming draft. I was pumped when we got both DeCastro AND Adams. Adams I think is going to be good and a starter as will DeCastro. Time will tell. We need a lot of athletic guys on defense.

My Mood
    Manic
    Tomlin has more rings any steelers fan knows that

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It took Cowher nearly his entire head coaching career to finally put together a team capable of winning a Super Bowl. By the time Tomlin got ahold of them their best days were behind and the window was quickly closing. SBXLIII was the last hurrah for most of them.

Tomlin's stamp on this team is not quite known yet because a team filled with mostly his players hasn't won a super bowl yet. They got close against the Packers but the defense was exposed and the OL was terrible as we remember.

He's drafted some serious talent; Woodley, Timmons, AB, Mendenhall, Wallace, Pouncey, along with potential stars like Cortez, McLendon, Gilbert, etc. His drafting in the high rounds has been pretty decent but the lower rounds has been hit and miss just like Cowher.

There are still many BC holdovers that are in their twilight now so it's going take a few more years before the rest really filter out. Maybe then we'll see the real Steelers under Tomlin but who knows if we'll like the result or not. I will say that I agree that this team has become a bit more self absorbed on the field and off; but to be fair there was twitter and facebook when Cowher was around.

I miss the fire of Cowher, I've always missed that fire. Tomlin just stands there and only gets excited when a TD is scored. I want to see him light up Taylor on the sidelines for those stupid penalties, or get in Colon's face for the constant holding penalties.

Thread Information