Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theme for the rest of the Steelers season: "Play with desperation"

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Theme for the rest of the Steelers season: "Play with desperation"

I'll be writing a blog article about this for Saturday but I figure I'd put a few thoughts out here now and see what you guys think.

Let's face it, 2-3 just sucks but is it a complete death wish from a mathematical standpoint for the post season? No. However many, many things have to change as we know. I was listening to Tunch and Wolf on ESPN970 over lunch and Will Allen was talking with them and he talked about, along with Wolf, playing as a desperate team. Now Allen didn't characterize it as desperate just yet but he did talk about a sense of urgency on every play.

Two of the losses so far have been come against teams that are or were in the bottom 5 of the league. These were teams that were playing desperate. The Steelers were in that desperate mode, whether they admit it or not, against the Eagles and look what happened. The Titans were desperate, as pointed out by Tunch who talked to several players and coaches before the game.

It all comes down to, if you want to win more than a game here and there you have to play with a sense of urgency that equals desperation. Every snap in practice, you finish. Every time you get a chance to catch a pass, make an interception, make a kick, whatever, you finish it off in a manner that carries over from play to the next.

There is no more of this, "well we're the Steelers we'll get it turned around". You are a 2-3 team that hasn't won on the road yet and lost to bottom feeders.

How many years have the Chargers started slow then made a push? The G-men last year, it can happen but dammit it's gonna be tough!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I guess this team misses the leadership from Ward and Farrior more then we thought they would........Was hoping some new leaders would emerge.......So far I'm not really seeing it........

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I guess this team misses the leadership from Ward and Farrior more then we thought they would........Was hoping some new leaders would emerge.......So far I'm not really seeing it........
    Missing something this passive pussy coach can't supply!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    The talent differential from team to team in the NFL is not that huge; subtract a few key players and upsets become not so surprising: see Indy beating G.B. and last night's debacle. Still hopeful Steelers can rebound and have a winning season. Hey, 9-7 is not beyond the pale...and that may equal a wild Card slot!
    STEELSPIKES

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    How many years have the Chargers started slow then made a push? The G-men last year, it can happen but dammit it's gonna be tough!
    I emphasize right now, they are not a very good football team. I haven't given up hope and stil think they can muster an 11-5 or 10-6 record, but when you lose 3 games by a combined 18 points in the last seconds of each game, it is disheartening. For the 1st time, I will concede that the Steelers are old on defense. And the youth on defense is doing nothing. I see a loss to the giants and a split to the ravens, and maybe one more loss....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Re: Theme for the rest of the Steelers season: "Play with desperation"

A rebound is more than possible, it's very attainable even with this monster hole. The division may be unlikely too but no matter what they have to play like there is no tomorrow on every snap, every week without fail.

I'm not convinced they can do it by any stretch yet but I do expect them to at least be in games, steal a win here and there and maybe get on a roll.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

Not overly concerned about the division, but remember, it s not like the Ravens are playing lights out either so anything's possible. I just want to get to the playoffs and go from there.

Draft Pick
    I'm glad you guys have the hope I cannot muster right now. I don't see in any way, shape, or form how we can string wins together with our lack of pressure and sub-par secondary.

Teams are wiser, NO ONE is going to play "our game" anymore. It used to be that teams would try and run the ball to keep our defense honest. Or the Ratbirds would jump in the phone booth with us just to see who was tougher. HA! If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, the way to a win against the Steelers is through the air.

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    The Steelers sitting at 1-3 in the conference now with horrific losses to teams like Oakland and Tennessee are going to now have an extremely tough time making the playoffs assuming they finish still at 10-6. The next 4 games the Steelers play before the meet the Ravens are at Cincy,home to the Redskins,at the Giants and home to Kansas City. To say going 3-1 in this stretch and at least pushing your record to 5-4 and back to 3-3 in the conference is pretty much an absolute MUST at this point. If they can do that they still will have a shot at the playoffs. I see a loss to the Giants coming in that stretch or maybe even next weekend in Cincy. The bottom line is you better go 3-1 and lose to the Giants if anybody seeing that it wont count as a conference loss...

Thread Information