Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: A secondary that doesn't choke

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Plus the defensive philosophies of Le Beau (giving WR 10 cushions all the time) is as responsible for this as anything. But....why haven't we used a high pick on a real cornerback who can cover man on man? That falls on Kolbert.
    Colbert..

Wanted: A secondary that doesn't choke

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    You're basing the talent of a player by if they were voted to the pro bowl or not? Hm....
    Nope, by his play on the field and he had one solid year the rest he's been ok at best. He benefitted from great pass rush, now that we have no pass rush he can't cover w out grabbing and holding and even then can't cover, he sucks!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Nope, by his play on the field and he had one solid year the rest he's been ok at best. He benefitted from great pass rush, now that we have no pass rush he can't cover w out grabbing and holding and even then can't cover, he sucks!
    One solid year? He had quite a few solid years. Go look up his stats from the last few seasons. Dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    One solid year? He had quite a few solid years. Go look up his stats from the last few seasons. Dare you.
    Not interested, I'm convinced he sucks, thanks though!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I mentioned this in another thread:

In breaking down video from the 1-2 start, one similarity can be found in the teams two losses, the amount of zone coverage in play while the defense was being torched. Ironically, the percentage of zone against the New York Jets tilted in the opposite direction.

Could this schematic difference truly make that much of an impact on their defense? The answer could be a resounding yes. One look at the numbers shows the trend perfectly; Broncos passing 253 yards and two touchdowns (73.1 percent completion percentage) and the Raiders passing attack, 209 yards and three touchdowns (70.6 percent completion percentage).

Now, onto the Jets passing game against predominately press coverage, 138 yards and one touchdown (37.3 percent completion percentage). Sure, Mark Sanchez is not Peyton Manning or Palmer, but all three teams have receiving corps that are virtually interchangeable.

While this may be a trend that is more perception than reality, it is also a problem that might be fixed by a subtle change in philosophy or game planning. The idea behind an attacking 3-4 scheme can be in place, even with more man coverage, and that may be exactly what the Steelers need to do at this point.

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/09/3...tic-breakdown/

The fact is D.L's scheme doesn't fool anyone, it's old and wornout but Dick refuses to make changes. Our players aren't as bad as it appears it's the defense scheme they're playing.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Frustrated
    It just mind boggles me how bad this defense has gotten. We go from one of the top defenses in football to a team that can't stop the godawful Titans and Raiders. Ike Taylor needs to get his act together. 3 penalties last night by him just killed us and he got torched all night long. The only person that has done a decent job is Ryan Clark. Lewis has been okay too but he dropped the pick that would have sealed the game for us last night. These guys need to step up and make some plays or this season is gonna be a very long one.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    On Taylor: Tomlin out there high fiving him after some of the worst coverage/ penalties a DB can have is a total joke too!
    That pissed me off. Cowher would have been in his face, telling him to get his act together or hit the bench. Tomlin struts out and slaps him five. WTF, really Tomlin?
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    That pissed me off. Cowher would have been in his face, telling him to get his act together or hit the bench. Tomlin struts out and slaps him five. WTF, really Tomlin?
    That really bothered me! Are you trying to be friends or a coach?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
    Projected Round (2013): Top-20 Pick.
    9/15/12: Amerson had a rough first week of the season as he was beaten for a 41-yard touchdown and a 72-yard touchdown by Tennessee's dangerous passing attack. Amerson recovered from those two early mistakes and played better for the rest of the game. Amerson bounced back further against Connecticut with a tackle, pass broken up and interception. He will have the opportunity to shut down some elite receivers when N.C. State takes on Clemson in mid-November.

9/1/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions.

Draft Pick
    The message out in the league is clearly this, "if you're a mediocre journeyman QB on the downside of your career don't give up hope,just wait for the Steelers to come to town".Somebody gotta give Ike a 50 gallon barrell of skin cream cause he's getting burned every week since getting Tebowed.

Thread Information