Thread: What kind of offense really is Todd Haley going to run this week?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

What kind of offense really is Todd Haley going to run this week?

Before you go all crazy, here me out..LOL

We've seen 2 different offenses out of the Steelers this year so far. The throw it all over creation and the run it all over creation. How much of the former was due to just not being able to run though? With Mendenhall back now, they clearly were much more confident in the running game and used it almost to the point of predictability.

Against the Eagles they ran it 30 times and passed 37 times. Against the Raiders they ran it 21 times and passed 34 times.

If you're Todd Haley, are you going to run the ball like crazy this week or go back to the pass and try put this game away before it even really starts? I'm still not sure I fully know what this offense is after last week. Balance is the ultimate key here but the passing game is beyond a shadow of a doubt the strength of the offense.

I think they try to get up early passing the ball and then turn into smashmouth to run out clock for game. I think the only chance the Titans will have on defense is try to pressure Ben with blitz's. If that happens, expect some screen plays.

I think he is smart enough to take what they give you. On 1st down, if the Titans line up with 8 in the box, and Wallace / Brown have 1 on 1 matchups, then check off to a pass or audible to a screen play. Or if the CB is playing 10 yards off, throw a quick hitter and let Wallace or Brown get YAC. I think Heath will be big in this game because they will be so preoccupied with covering Wallace and Brown, Heath or a 3rd WR will have a field day.

This will be an interesting game to watch Mendy because of the quick turnaround. If he responds well, then I would say he is back.

As always, it starts upfront. If the boys can give Ben the time needed to execute the playcall, and keep the Steelers in 3rd and less than 5 or 6, then the Titans have no chance.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think the Steelers should try to pass more on first down at times.....I like to see 2nd and shorts which really opens up the entire play-book........But I think Haley will call a balanced offense for the most part this year......I also would like to see more shots down field....I'm not saying at the rate BA called them but Wallace is the best deep WR in the NFL and could be deadly off play-action......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I think the Steelers should try to pass more on first down at times.....I like to see 2nd and shorts which really opens up the entire play-book........But I think Haley will call a balanced offense for the most part this year......I also would like to see more shots down field....I'm not saying at the rate BA called them but Wallace is the best deep WR in the NFL and could be deadly off play-action......
    I agree with this. Even a high % pass on 1st down which yields a 5 yard gain would be great. Too many times the Steelers are diving straight ahead on 1st down vs an 8 or 9 man front and get a yard or two. You don't want to be 2nd and 10, but 3rd and 9 is worse. Nothing greedy, just a 5-6 yard pass play on 1st down once in a while will take the defense out of the 8 and 9 man fronts the Steelers currently see on 1st down.

Seems to be more of a new start to the season again.. This team needs to settle into a groove and i bet the offense will run a balanced attack and score often... Mendy was back so you needed to test out the run plays again.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    im for playing which ever style works...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    im for playing which ever style works...
    I agree 100% with Zachintosh66

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I agree with this. Even a high % pass on 1st down which yields a 5 yard gain would be great. Too many times the Steelers are diving straight ahead on 1st down vs an 8 or 9 man front and get a yard or two. You don't want to be 2nd and 10, but 3rd and 9 is worse. Nothing greedy, just a 5-6 yard pass play on 1st down once in a while will take the defense out of the 8 and 9 man fronts the Steelers currently see on 1st down.
    exactly.......plus Brown and Sanders are perfect WR's to catch those short slants....Even the RB's and TE's.......I just like to see 2nd and shorts......You can run the ball or even sneak one deep......The entire play-book is in play in those type of situations....

Thread Information