Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts from PHI vs. PIT

Bookmark and Share

My thoughts from PHI vs. PIT

Offense

O line - Opened some holes in the run game, most notably Colon and Pouncey. And though Ben wasn't sacked, there was a lot of pressure at times which resulted in the lack of points put in the board. Pouncey was great, Colon continued his struggles in pass protection but was a mauler in the run game, Foster was ok, Starks had a decent game, and Gilbert and Adams played ok as well.

Ben - Missed a few throws (potential big play to Wallace, Heath on the sideline) but had a very, very good game. No flashy stats but he dealt with pressures like he always does, and delivered when his team needed him to.

Mendenhall - Welcome back big fella. Looked as fast and powerful as ever. Hit the holes with authority, broke open field tackles and made would-be tacklers miss. No reason for him not to be the workhorse from here on out. I don't think he had even one run for negative yardage (his first carry is the only one I remember him not getting positive yards).

Redman - I know it was Mendenhall's first game back and he needed spelled, but outside of 3rd and 1 or inches, I hate seeing him in the game. He wasn't terrible. He had a couple runs for decent yardage but he also had a few negative runs. Hopefully they'll keep him as just the short yardage guy and spell Mendenhall a couple plays here and there.

Rainey - Few opportunities, but they need to start game planning to get him some. And for the love of God... Mike Tomlin, stop being such a pussy and put him in on punt returns. IMO he's better than Antonio and we don't need to risk Antonio being injured.

Mike Wallace - Pretty non-existent in the stats sheet. Had 3 (that I remember) blatant holds/PIs that weren't called. Other than that he had 2 (after going back) drops that he should have caught. I don't completely blame him for his lack of production (Ben also overthrew him on what would've been a potential long scoring play) but he obviously needs to play better than that... Which he had the previous 3 games. I expect him to bounce back Thursday night.

Antonio Brown - Played a decent game overall. Had two drops as well, one that was a beautifully placed ball by Ben which would've been a TD. But other than that he was ok. Ran some nice routes, had a couple nice runs after the catch. He needs to work on his handle though. His drops and fumbles are becoming a little of a concern (not overly concerning, but there's a little there). Like Wallace, I expect him to bounce back a bit Thursday night.

Sanders - Again, he didn't blow up the stat sheet but he came up with a couple of nice 3rd down catches when the team needed them. He's definitely becoming one of Ben's favorite targets on 3rd down.

Cotchery - Run much?

Defense

D Line - Overall played a good game. Keisel was better, Snack even had a couple of pushes to the pocket, Ziggy (though I still hate him lol) had a decent game - out of position at times, but had a decent game. Heyward looked very good to me. He pushed the pocket, man-handled his guy on more than one occasion. He clearly needs to be starting over Hood. Al Woods got some more playing time which was a plus. And McClendon, that man can get some push up the middle. He looked explosive on more than one occasion getting into the backfield and harassing Vick. Had a nice strip sack as well.

Timmons - He gave me such a heterosexual boner in that game. See what he can do when you utilize his strengths there, Dick? He had multiple pressures and hits on Vick, forced a fumble, knifed through the line to tackle McCoy multiple times behind the line. Sometimes his speed and explosiveness can work against him as he has the tendency to miss a sack here and there, but he clearly made up for those missed opportunities.

Foote - Solid but unspectacular. You just had to touch Vick's leg didn't you?

Woodley - Obviously went out early. Sitting him Thursday night should give him plenty of time to recover, being that the next game is a Sunday night game against the Bengals on the 21st.

Harrison - No sacks, but at least 3 QB hits that I remember and a handful of pressures. He played extremely well for not being in game shape yet. That was very encouraging.

Worilds - Another gimme sack lol, but overall actually played well. Lost containment on McCoy on a couple outside runs but got some nice pressure and had a nice pass def. down the middle of the field. (I still hate him lol)

Ike - Did a pretty decent job on DJax. Had a couple calls against him, though one was kinda bullshit.

Keenan Lewis - He was ok. Maclin had a few catches on him but didn't give up anything too major.

Mundy - He's just awful. I dont blame him for that personal foul though. In real time it did look like helmet to helmet, and is obviously why it was called, but the replay showed that their helmets barely grazed eachother.

Troy - That was hard to see. I was definitely bummed out when I saw him hopping to the sidelines. Hopefully we can get him back by the game against Washington in 3 weeks. No need to try to rush him back again.

Coaches

Tomlin - Good to see him fired up in the sideline... Getting in dude's faces when they messed up and congratulating them when they made a play. Also good to see him make some positive personnel adjustments, most notably more playing time for Heyward, McClendon, and Woods. He coached a very good game.

Haley - Called a very, very good game, once again. Love the direction the offense is going. I'm especially excited to see Mendenhall in this system and finally be utilized properly (the man can catch too lol).

LeBeau - Actually made a few adjustments. Would like to see a little more press, but I can understand not doing so against the speed of the eagles receivers. He blitzed more than probably any other game this year, and finally utilized Timmons correctly. Let's just hope that keeps up.
    Last edited by Big T; 10-08-2012 at 11:49 AM.

My thoughts from PHI vs. PIT

Good write up man! I'm excited to see Mendy grow into this new Haley offense, should be $$$$$!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Horny
    Nice write up!! but what was with pouncys snaps, a couple went over bens head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoWard View Post
    Nice write up!! but what was with pouncys snaps, a couple went over bens head!!!
    Completely forgot about that. The snaps were definitely high, but they were low enough for Ben to get his hands on them. Those things happen. Luckily not often for Pouncey.

timmons LOVES when harrison is on the field, thats just a brutal duo to deal with on the right side of the defense

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Completely forgot about that. The snaps were definitely high, but they were low enough for Ben to get his hands on them. Those things happen. Luckily not often for Pouncey.
    everyone who touches the ball needs to work on using a wet football

My Mood
    Addicted
    Yea great write up, our defensive schemes were different we got good pressure on Vick all day,Timmons ( MVP on Defense yesterday )played out of his mind,i hope he can play like this for the rest of the year, Mundy is useless, i like that we rotated our D-Line i hope we continue to do this for the rest of the year, special teams were ok, on Offense i thought we had the Browns receivers for a minute there JK Mendy was the offensive MVP, it was great to have him back, i luv our offense and its only going to get better,Colon plays like Kemo at times,but overall i'm happy with our boys,hopefully we can get on a winning role now...

My Mood
    Addicted
    mendenhall had a good game. Didn't dance around like old, hit the hole.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Lawrence Timmons of yesterday is what I expect from him....He was a monster yesterday and hopefully Timmons is a consistent monster for the rest of the year.....I still would like to see him finish sacks......

Heyward needs to start......Hood still isn't a good fit for this defense and Keisel needs to be a wave player at this point.....

Not worried at all about Wallace or Brown.......I still would like to see a few more deep passes to Wallace....

Really can't complain about the offense at this point but I do think Haley fell in love with the running game yesterday which let the Eagles back into the game......I just would like to see more attacking from Haley...I have no problem with a short passing game but you still can take a few more shots down field...Of course the WR's didn't do Haley or Ben any favors yesterday.....Rashard Mendenhall needs to be a factor in the passing game...Just another weapon for Ben so hope Haley really expands Mendenhalls role within in the offense.....

Nice write up! Thanks we appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Haley - Called a very, very good game, once again. Love the direction the offense is going. I'm especially excited to see Mendenhall in this system and finally be utilized properly (the man can catch too lol).

LeBeau - Actually made a few adjustments. Would like to see a little more press, but I can understand not doing so against the speed of the eagles receivers. He blitzed more than probably any other game this year, and finally utilized Timmons correctly. Let's just hope that keeps up.
    I agree, Haley and also Ben called a very good game. The screen pass and quick routes certainly negated the pass rush and help to keep Ben from being sacked.

The blitzing was smart for a few reasons. You want to pressure any QB but Vick simply does stupid things when he's pressured. He doesn't think right as evident with his pass straight up in the air. The thing looked like a punt. Also it completely took Brent Celek out of the game (other than his short TD catch) because the eagles had to keep him in to block.

Holding McCoy to about 75 total yards was huge.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information