Thread: Steelers could use line change

Bookmark and Share

Steelers could use line change

Interesting read:

Kovacevic: Steelers could use line change

Maybe the worst way to evaluate any 3-4 defense is to cite the statistics of the three down linemen. Their primary job is to block the blockers, to clear lanes for the linebackers. Counting up the sacks and hurries of the big men up front is terribly unfair.

So, hey, let’s start there.

We’ll get to fair and rational evaluation in a bit. I promise.

In the Steelers’ 34-31 loss 10 days ago at Oakland, Ziggy Hood lined up for 53 snaps at defensive end. On exactly 52 of those, he failed to get within radar range of the Raiders’ stationary target of a QB, Carson Palmer.

No sacks, no hits and one official "hurry," according to film study done by the Steelers’ coaches.

That wouldn’t be a big deal if isolated, but no one else got to Palmer, either. The Steelers had one sack by LaMarr Woodley and nine hurries on Oakland’s 35 passing plays. Brett Keisel and Larry Foote had three hurries each, Chris Carter one.

The three-game total of 21 hurries puts the Steelers on pace to finish the season with 112. They had 141 last year, 169 the previous year.

No matter how you slice up the roles, that’s terrible.

And it had better change soon.

The Eagles, next up Sunday in what could easily be called a lose-this-one-and-forget it game, will bring as much individual playmaking skill as the first three opponents combined. Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy can bust up the best strategies and execution.

Especially Vick, the NFL’s all-time leading rusher among QBs.

As Mike Tomlin put it Tuesday in his weekly lavishing of the opponent: “If we’re going to have success this game, we’re going to have to minimize what he does to us. We have to contain Vick, by design or otherwise, so he cannot get on the perimeter and in space to create plays.”

Can’t argue that.

Can’t argue, either, that it all starts up front.

We fuss over blown coverage or missed tackles in the secondary — hey, let’s blame Ryan Mundy, a safety, for whiffing on Darren McFadden’s 64-yard touchdown run — but the hard truth for the Steelers is this: In these three games, the starting defensive line of Hood, Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton has produced zero sacks, six hurries and zero tackles for losses.

That last figure isn’t limited to QBs. It’s for anyone carrying a football.

What’s the problem?

Debating the predictability of Dick LeBeau’s schemes, no matter how valid, is pointless. There won’t be a change, certainly not to the base 3-4 philosophy.

But why not at least to the usage of players?

Defensive line might be the deepest position on the roster other than wide receiver, but it doesn’t matter if Tomlin and LeBeau don’t take advantage.

Check out the season snap counts to date:

Hood: 152

Keisel: 134

Hampton: 77

Cam Heyward: 38

Steve McLendon: 31

Al Woods: 11

Notice anything amiss?

I sure do.

Heyward, in addition to having the only sack of the group, has a good chance of fulfilling his first-round potential. Maybe more so than Hood. He does get caught out of position — not uncommon for a second-year player — but he also exhibits exceptional physical tools.

In Oakland, he was on the line for five snaps.

Why?

And what of McLendon?

Every summer, someone reports to Latrobe with above-and-beyond improvement. This year, that was McLendon by a knockout. He was plugging the middle in Hampton’s mold but also blowing through offensive lines, and, you know, making things happen.

He was on the line for three snaps in Oakland. The long snapper was busier.

Again, why?

This isn’t to suggest Hood is a bust or that Hampton, 35, and Keisel, 34, are ready to join Aaron Smith in civvies. Hampton, in particular, has been better at filling his lanes than most seem to appreciate. But there is ample help at hand, and all concerned could perform with a lot more bite if kept fresh.

I could tell from talks this week with Heyward and McLendon that both have healthy attitudes.

“We just have to be ready,” Heyward said. “We’ve got three of the best linemen around in front of us. We just want the result of winning. Steve and I aren’t concerned about playing time. We’re not selfish guys.”

And McLendon, the preseason sensation?

“Preseason’s just the preseason,” he said with a playful shrug. “Right now, all I’m here to do is be ready. I’m not going to worry that I’m not playing as much as I want. I have to be patient. My time will come.”

Here’s one vote for that time coming in the range of, oh, 1 p.m. Sunday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/home/2699577-74/...#ixzz28FBc819u
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    And Tamu can't get in after looking at this?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    And Tamu can't get in after looking at this?
    Right.. This is all on Tomlin and Dick not trusting the young guys! IMO you have to let them play.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Mellow
    This isn’t to suggest Hood is a bust
    ...but he is!!!!

or that Hampton, 35, and Keisel, 34, are ready to join Aaron Smith in civvies.
    actually, it's not a bad suggestion...although i believe keisel can still play but he needs help on the line.

Hampton, in particular, has been better at filling his lanes than most seem to appreciate.
    how? by consistently being in the warm embrace of the center? or just because he's so damn fat?

i hate being so negative but i just can't help it!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

The front 3 are not getting any penetration whatsoever. McClendon is a manster and should get a shot over Hampton because the only shape hampton is in is round. He is certainly not in football shape. I remember in training camp, Tamu saying how he got screamed at by Mitchell because he penetrated 4 yard into the backfield and blew up the play. Mitchell told him that his job was to occupy linemen and hold his ground, thus no penetration. I know I never played in the NFL, but from the time I was a kid I was always told, get in the backfield and cause havoc. The front 3 for the Steelers does way too much dancing. Only thing I truly appreciate about Kiesel is his ability to deflect passes. Overall, he is a good football player and does make plays, but the group as a whole needs to stop doing the waltz with the O-linemen and get in the backfield.

Exactly what I've been saying. The only thing I disagree with is him saying that Hood isn't necessarily a bust. Yes, yes he is lol. And it shouldnt surprise anyone. Heyward over Hood, McClendon over Hampton, Woods spelling a little more. It's not that difficult.

Steelers could use line change

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Exactly what I've been saying. The only thing I disagree with is him saying that Hood isn't necessarily a bust. Yes, yes he is lol. And it shouldnt surprise anyone. Heyward over Hood, McClendon over Hampton, Woods spelling a little more. It's not that difficult.
    I like this!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Heyward, in addition to having the only sack of the group, has a good chance of fulfilling his first-round potential. Maybe more so than Hood. He does get caught out of position — not uncommon for a second-year player — but he also exhibits exceptional physical tools.
    Haven't we all been screaming for this so far this year? Tomlin will never do it though. I had hopes this year that maybe they'd break out of the veteran love affair that they've had pretty much for the last 20 years; with so many new faces around how could they not give them a try?

Thread Information