Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joey Porter or James Harrison

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    And, if I'm remembering correctly (which I may be mistaken), Harrison read the play right... He knew he was supposed to rush but decided to drop back based on what he was seeing in the offense... I dont care either way lol.
    That's what I've heard, but like you said, I don't really care...it all worked out!
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Let's take a closer look at the stats. Peezy started for us from 2000-2007. James Harrison didn't start until 2007, so I'm going to look at 2007-2011. Obviously account for games missed. (based on yahoo stats)*

Peezy 2000-2007
    106 games (6 games missed)
    442 total tackles
    4.2 tackles a game/63 a season
    58 sacks
    .55 sacks a game/8.3 a season
    42 pass def
    10 INTs
    17 FFs
    Age 23-29

Silverback 2007-2011
    74 games so far (6 games missed, 5 of those in 2011)
    437 total tackles
    5.9 tackles a game/87.4 a season
    54.5 sacks
    .75 sacks a game/10.9 a season
    12 pass def
    4 INTs
    26 FFs
    Age 29-33

I'd take Harrison. I absolutely loved Peezy, but he wasn't as completely dominant with us as Harrison has been. Plus Harrison did all of this starting at the same age that Peezy stopped playing with us. I think that makes his numbers that much more impressive. Peezy did all his **** with us from 23 to 29, while Harrison was 29 to 33. That's insane if you think about it. If only Harrison was a couple years younger

I love them both though. Can't go wrong with either. And, if I'm remembering correctly (which I may be mistaken), Harrison read the play right... He knew he was supposed to rush but decided to drop back based on what he was seeing in the offense... I dont care either way lol.
    Yea T your right man, Harrison was suppose to blitz that play but he remembered ARIZ running that play before with the lineup they had and decided to drop back into coverage, what a huge play that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Apples to Oranges... completely different system, completely different time. Cant compare 70's players to 2k players...
    You can't because you weren't around. Us old timers can. We take into account different systems and eras.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Noway you can compare a 4-3 OLB to an 3-4 OLB.......Main reason their responsibilities within in their respective defenses are different......

As for Joey Porter and James Harrison.........Porter is one of my alltime favorite Steelers but I would go with a James Harrison in his prime over Joey Porter.....I do think Porter was the better leader of the two.........Harrison is more of a leads by example or lets his play do the leading were Joey Porter was the emotional and vocal leader of the Pittsburgh Steelers when he was leading the defense.....Both players were great in the Steelers 3-4 defense so its really a tough question....Can you be wrong either way?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Noway you can compare a 4-3 OLB to an 3-4 OLB.......Main reason their responsibilities within in their respective defenses are different......

As for Joey Porter and James Harrison.........Porter is one of my alltime favorite Steelers but I would go with a James Harrison in his prime over Joey Porter.....I do think Porter was the better leader of the two.........Harrison is more of a leads by example or lets his play do the leading were Joey Porter was the emotional and vocal leader of the Pittsburgh Steelers when he was leading the defense.....Both players were great in the Steelers 3-4 defense so its really a tough question....Can you be wrong either way?
    You couldnt be wrong either way at all, both of them in there prime were as good as it can get being a 3-4 outside linebacker. Each one you could build a team around. I would have liked to see Harrison get his jumpstart around 25 or so if he would have made the team. Porter/Harrison have been a pleasure to watch. I remember the Kevin Greene and Lloyd back in the day but I was only about 6 years old then, I didnt care as much about football as I do now, to busy playing outside lol. I just thought it would be a cool topic to bring up is all.

My Mood
    Manic
    I like Harrison for the overall fear factor.Teams would target him as apart of the game plan .Peezy was a great player but teams didn't fear him like they did Debo

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    You can't because you weren't around. Us old timers can. We take into account different systems and eras.
    Hello from a fellow old timer. I don't include the 70s guys because I don't think that team could ever be replicated. It was a once in the NFL that will never happen again. The other so-called dynasties can't even begin to compare.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Apples to Oranges... completely different system, completely different time. Cant compare 70's players to 2k players...
    Agreed. Love them both and about 12 other Steelers LBs as well.

Rookie Free Agent
    Sorry i loved Peezt but its no contest, Both in there prime and healthy, Harrison is twice the player and an absolute beast. Peezy was a good player but never a beast.............

Rookie Free Agent
    You oldtimers sound ridiculous. Jack lambert is by far my favorite steelers of alltime but Harrison would tie him into a pretzle, put mustard on him and eat him...............

Thread Information