Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joey Porter or James Harrison

Bookmark and Share

Joey Porter or James Harrison

As a Steelers fan it has been great seeing outside linebackers dominte on the defenseive side of the ball for so long. I wanted to start a thread on which of these two linebackers you would pick in there prime. I want to compare Porter and Harrison. I'm not saying either one is worse but one of them in my opinion was more dominate. Porter had a longer career but dont take anything away from Harrison on that. I have some stats here below so noone really has to go doing homework before they decide. Keep the thread civil and no bashing on other's opinions. Keep it classy. I would have to go with Porter. The guys had such a nastiness to him every game. Fast explosive and played his *** off every game and ran his mouth off before every game at midfield. I miss watching Peezy play in the black and gold. Im glad he retired a steeler. Im just glad I got to watch Porter and Harrison follow up right after he left to keep the dominate pass rush coming from the edge.

Stats off of when they started a full season.

Harrison 2004-2010 seasons

488 combined total tackles
    49 Sacks
    18 Pass def
    5 Int's
    25 Forced Fumbles

Porter 1999-2006

448 combined tackles
    60 sacks
    43 Pass def
    10 Ints
    18 Forced fumbles

I loved the way Peezy talked, and backed it up. But Harrison is just nasty....such a tough call.

Both great blitzers.
    Both pretty good agaisnt the run and pass.
    Both very intimidating to the opposing team.
    Harrison hits harder, no question.
    Porter had the speed, no question.
    Harrison is the "big bad wolf" of the NFL.
    Porter was the vocal leader of the team.

I would go with Peezy, just based on his ability to fire up the team with his vocal leadership, all the while intimidating the opposition. Plus you gottta love the half-rolled up jersey pre-game routine, haha.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a really tough call, both guys in their prime were as good as it gets. I loved Peezy's trashing talking attitude and emotion that he brought to the team. I miss those rallying cries; WHO RIDE..WE RIDE.

Stats wise they are pretty similar, but Peezy has been able to stay healthy for more of his career than Harrison has.

Harrison has the swagger of "I'm going to kill your family while you watch and then kick your *** for watching". He just plays mean, similar to how Greg Lloyd used to be.

They were very similar against the run and sacks. I'd take Porter because he seemed better against the pass but harrison had the biggest int in Steeler history.

Jack ham was the best OLB I ever seen for the Steelers.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I think it boils down to durability; Peezy didn't miss to many games, but Harrison is a guy that DC's gameplan for.

I say Harrison. . .just because.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    How about penalties... lol. Whats that stat?

Id take Peezy over James everyday and twice on sunday... Peezy lead the defense verbally and with his play. Peezy was faster and far better in coverage. I also think Peezy had a better "game changer" ability. Where as he could just take over a game if he needed to.

Harrison's pass coverage claim to fame is that he got lucky in the biggest game of the year and where he actually read the play wrong (according to DL) Soooo thankful he did tho, lol!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Rookie Free Agent
    I love them both, but this no contest. Porter, easy. Just a better all-around player than Harrison.

Let's take a closer look at the stats. Peezy started for us from 2000-2007. James Harrison didn't start until 2007, so I'm going to look at 2007-2011. Obviously account for games missed. (based on yahoo stats)*

Peezy 2000-2007
    106 games (6 games missed)
    442 total tackles
    4.2 tackles a game/63 a season
    58 sacks
    .55 sacks a game/8.3 a season
    42 pass def
    10 INTs
    17 FFs
    Age 23-29

Silverback 2007-2011
    74 games so far (6 games missed, 5 of those in 2011)
    437 total tackles
    5.9 tackles a game/87.4 a season
    54.5 sacks
    .75 sacks a game/10.9 a season
    12 pass def
    4 INTs
    26 FFs
    Age 29-33

I'd take Harrison. I absolutely loved Peezy, but he wasn't as completely dominant with us as Harrison has been. Plus Harrison did all of this starting at the same age that Peezy stopped playing with us. I think that makes his numbers that much more impressive. Peezy did all his **** with us from 23 to 29, while Harrison was 29 to 33. That's insane if you think about it. If only Harrison was a couple years younger

I love them both though. Can't go wrong with either. And, if I'm remembering correctly (which I may be mistaken), Harrison read the play right... He knew he was supposed to rush but decided to drop back based on what he was seeing in the offense... I dont care either way lol.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Jack ham was the best OLB I ever seen for the Steelers.
    Apples to Oranges... completely different system, completely different time. Cant compare 70's players to 2k players...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Apples to Oranges... completely different system, completely different time. Cant compare 70's players to 2k players...
    Completely agree.

Thread Information