Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so tired of the "letting players sit and learn" mentality

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Angry I'm so tired of the "letting players sit and learn" mentality

Just feel the need to rant for a bit because nothing ever changes with our Steelers defense, but really the whole mentality surrounding this team in general. I admit we've been spoiled by some outstanding play over the last 10 years; back when Blitzburgh was truly Blitzburgh. When is it time for a change of thinking, I don't care who the coaches are.

I didn't see Mike Wallace sitting on the bench when he was drafted. Sanders and Brown were getting reps early on too. Mendenhall was thrown into the offensive gameplan right out of the gate, DeCastro was slated to start, the list goes on and on.

When is it going to be ok to allow that to happen on defense too??? Don't give me this, "the steeler defense is too hard to master" crap either anymore. I'm so tired of that excuse. Sure it's hard to learn, what isn't in the NFL. It's nothing more than a rationalization to hang onto veterans who need to be cut as much as it's having no faith in the talent you draft. When you sprinkle in new talent over time, you can live with the growing pains.

Cam Heyward is not doing anybody any good being a rotational player. Since when do you let a 1st round pick continue to play second fiddle to a guy ahead of him who's had more than enough time to develop and still isn't anything special?

Where is the linebacker drafting at? If Jason Worilds and Chris Carter are the best you got then something has been wrong way too long. I get that Sean Spence is going to be the future, and it sucks that he got hurt but drafting guys like him has been lacking to say the least.

The secondary right now, Safety in particular is ridiculous. The dropoff in play when Troy and Ryan aren't in there is beyond unacceptable. What is it going to take to draft their replacements? Why do we have to wait until the guy can barely move anymore before you consider finding someone else.

You could rationalize the fact that after SB XLIII, many of the players that were on the team after that win or are still on this team should have been replaced by now. That was their last hurrah. The loss to the Packers should have been more than enough to make them realize that. We were living on borrowed time with no depth and we got burned.

Let go, move on, let the young guys play and draft better talent. You live with the growing pains but the rewards are huge!!

Sincerely - a life long fan tired of the same old same old...

I agree 1/mil %!! If this defense is that hard to learn then ditch it, crap hasn't worked in years! I hate see all these other teams having their rookies on defense playing lights out and ours rotting on the bench.

The irony is, Dick LeBeau's defense is really hard to learn, unless you're an opposing offense.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    The irony is, Dick LeBeau's defense is really hard to learn, unless you're an opposing offense.
    LMAO! Maybe Carson Palmer can come tutor our young guys??

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I just read an article ( I'll see if I can dig it up) it showed that when we play bump and rum man coverage we are much much better than when we play zone.

So I have to ask why we don't stick with man coverage. Now to stay on topic, I would love to see the younger get playing time rather than sit on the bench.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a great point man, its the "inside the box" thinking and the "that's what we've always done" mentality that keeps us from doing more things like man to man. You spent 2 drafts on Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, and you finally are giving Keenan Lewis a chance. Perfect case in point, there are going to be growing pains with both, but each is finally getting to play now. If you did your job well then these guys will start to come around become solid players. It only took how many years of Will Gay screwing up before you gave Lewis a chance?

How much worse could he have been than what Gay was at the biggest times of the season?

I'm willing to live with rough games at cornerback with the hopes that all those draft picks you spent finally get a chance to come around.

Draft Pick
    The Steelers want their rookies to sit and learn because of how "complex" LeBeau's schemes are. Looking at some of the other teams though, they put their rookies in and they play alright. Maybe not world-beaters right away, but they are certainly good enough to play. Those defensive systems obviously aren't as complex, yet they seem to be more effective than the Steelers defense. Perhaps it's time to just simplify things on this defense.

I think LeBeau has gained so much reverence within the Steelers organization that everyone, possibly even Art Rooney II, is too scared to tell him he needs to adjust.

Maybe the coaches feel that they want to play the best guy available no matter if he's a rookie or a 10 year vet. Let's look at our total defense the last 10 years.

11 - 1st
    10 - 2nd
    9 - 5th
    8 - 1st
    7 - 1st
    6-9th
    5- 4th
    4- 1st
    3-9th
    2-7th

That's an average of 4th over the last 10 years. If you take just the last 5 years we averaged 2nd. I'd say that they have done something right.

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    That is gold!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Hampton starting... case and point..

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Hampton starting... case and point..
    That's pretty bad, I agree... He's a human bean bag getting tossed around..

Thread Information