Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big of a rival really is Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, do you hate the Eagles?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

How big of a rival really is Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, do you hate the Eagles?

Being an intrastate team, both the Steelers and Eagles do have some type of rivalry, it's only natural. However, being in different conferences seems to tone it down some, at least I think so.

You won't find many people that like both teams that's for sure, but if you talk to either teams fans, the other isn't generally near the top of the list in the rivalry category. Although, Eagles fans hate everybody so I guess maybe there's some merit to it.

The Eagles usually have their hatred aimed at teams like the Cowboys and Redskins, while our Steelers are mortal enemies with the Ravens, Browns, Bengals, and Patriots.

At least Ben seems to think there's a serious hatred for Philly: "We definitely want to get back on track. But it's probably just as much Pittsburgh versus Philadelphia," Roethlisberger said, via The Beaver County Times. "It's not a division game. It's AFC versus NFC. But no matter what sport it is, it seems to be Pittsburgh versus Philly and a general hatred. That's what I've noticed since I moved here about Philadelphia."

Seeing I spent 30 years in Pittsburgh and 11 in Philly I think I have a pretty good idea. The rivalry is non existent in football.There never really was one in my lifetime. I believe Ben's comments come from watching the Pens/Flyers that's a true rivalry and hatred. Also anything that he can say that will help motivate them is good. Win the game for state bragging rights I don't care just win it.

In Philly there's really not much hatred for the Steelers. Most fans are jealous of our success but they respect they way the Steelers are run. Their biggest rival is the the Giants. they are jealous about everything New York. It makes them sick that the Giants have won so many SB's especially since the Eagles usually beat them. Followed by the Cowboys. I never understood how there could be so many Cowboys fans who grew up in Philly. I never met a person from Western Pa who wasn't a Steeler fan.

In the 70's the Pirate Phillies rivalry was huge but that died down when they split up the divisions.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Addicted
    Philadelphia is a shithole, that's why I hate them.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    Philadelphia is a shithole, that's why I hate them.
    And the Eagles are the modern day version of the Cowboys........can't live up to the hype! Can you imagine what it would be like to be an Eagles fan? They labor with McNaab and then they go get a piece of **** human being, NFL feel-good reclamation project, who flat out sucks at QB, and pay him a kings ransom, and make him the future of the franchise? HOLY RIP-ROARIN ****!
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Thanks Larry, that's kind of what I was thinking.

No doubt the Pens/Flyers is a huge rivalry, that one is always fun to watch. Now if both football teams were in the AFC or NFC, maybe it would be different?

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    No doubt the Pens/Flyers is a huge rivalry, that one is always fun to watch. Now if both football teams were in the AFC or NFC, maybe it would be different?
    It's hard to have a rivalry when you only play each other every 4 years. Now there were several times that it got close to being a Pittsburgh/ Philly Super Bowl. But thanks to Andy Reid and Bill Cowher being great at choking in championship games it never happened. If we ever did play them in the SB the hate would be real and last for years afterwards. But for now it's just another game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    And the Eagles are the modern day version of the Cowboys........can't live up to the hype!
    I don't understand that statement. The Cowboys have won many championships.
    -Wayne Dyer

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post

I don't understand that statement. The Cowboys have won many championships.
    The Cowboys have won one playoff game in 15 years and yet are the media darlings to win the SB every year.
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The Cowboys have won one playoff game in 15 years and yet are the media darlings to win the SB every year.
    Oh, OK I got you. Although I don't recall many picking them to win the SB recently.
    -Wayne Dyer

Rookie Free Agent Steelers/PSU Fan's Avatar
    I'd like to see the Steelers beat the Eagles but it wouldn't make me sick to my stomach if we lose. The only team I break stuff when we lose to and have to take a tums is when the Ravens beat us. God I hate that team and city, only good thing to come from there is "The Wire" TV series.
    Release the Keisel!

I mean, the Eagles can suck it, but it's nothing like the Penguins-Flyers rivalry.

Thread Information