Thread: Are The Pirates Allergic To Winning? - My PSN Article

Are The Pirates Allergic To Winning? - My PSN Article

If you're frustrated with the Pirates, Raise your hand!

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.co...ic-to-winning/
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

I know it has been a long time since this thread was started, but anyways here we go.

I grew up a baseball fan, pure and simple. Being born in 1973 I followed the Bucs like a crazy rabid kid up until the mid 90s. I knew Phil Gardners batting average, I knew when Omar Moreno was about to steal 2nd, I even had one of those ridiculous Pirates hats. I had a pennant on my wall celebrating the 1979 world series and I used a bunch of markers to write CHAMPS! and all of the players names all over it. Then something happened. After Sid Bream took us out, the Pirates took me out. I watch maybe 2 Bucs games a year. I don't know any of the players, I simply don't care. Last year started to peak my interest but I knew what would happen the second I got excited about my old team. And again the Pirates proved me right.

I have always been a Steelers fan, but back in the days of Tekulve, Foli, and Parker the Steelers could not compare to my love for baseball and the Bucs. Maybe it was because I was a really good baseball player, but never had the body to play football (waaay too skinny). Maybe it was the we are family stuff. Well, no it wasn't any of those things. It was because when I watched the Bucs play I knew for a fact that they were going to win. Maybe not every game, but it sure felt like it some years. I was a fan of a great team and I loved my Bucs. I have been to 14 Pirates games (the last one in 96). The Bucs have won all 14. I am afraid to go to a game now, because I like my personal record and I know there is a 70% chance it will be broken if I go to one more game. I check the Sunday paper to look at the standings and usually just shake my head.

The Bucs are the Browns of the baseball world. No matter how excited their fans may be for a new season....they just know how it will eventually unfold. A few years of not being good is one thing. However many seasons it has been now without even a winning record says so much more. It is obvious that ownership just doesn't care about winning. And with that, I don't care about the Bucs anymore. Thanks for the memories Buccos, like old High School buddies maybe we can catch up someday.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

Thread Information