Thread: Other than Suisham, Steelers special teams not very special

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Other than Suisham, Steelers special teams not very special

Amos Jones has been around the special teams for years now so I can't say this is all his fault at this point yet. However the abrupt change in special teams so close to the start of the regular season are bound to cause issues.

Rookie punter Drew Butler’s 41.4 average is the NFL’s second-lowest, although his 38.4 net ranks 19th, and he has five punts inside the 20. Coaches often judge punters more by their ability to put the ball down close to the goal line than they do their overall average.

Antonio Brown averages a Pro Bowl-level 11 yards on five punt returns. But the Steelers’ 23.2 average on kickoff returns is only 24th, and their opponents are averaging a healthy 33.2 yards, second-highest in the league.
    While the Steelers haven’t had a kickoff return longer than 27 yards, their opponents have five of 26 yards or longer, topped by Mike Goodson’s 51-yarder for Oakland.

“One of most important things you see when you have breakout runs is people not staying within their job or in their lanes,” cornerback Cortez Allen said. “You’ve got to keep contain. That’s within the defense, too; you have to stay true to what your assignment is.”

The kick-coverage units could be helped by the return of linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, who missed the first three games with a knee injury. - Pittsburgh Trib

Honestly the whole team isn't very good, all three phases... IMO Ben and Foote are the only two stand outs so far!

Our punter is down right terrible...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    This would be the perfect time (game) for Rainey to return one for a TD. Just sayin......
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Tomlin needs to stop being a pussy and put Rainey on punt returns. That's where he's gonna make his money. He can be a very good kick returner but a special punt returner.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Maybe they should fire someone else...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Tomlin needs to stop being a pussy and put Rainey on punt returns. That's where he's gonna make his money. He can be a very good kick returner but a special punt returner.
    for real... what was he drafted for? 4-5 Stretch and/or screen plays only per game? Granted I love AB, but I am interested in seeing what this kid can do.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Has Kapinos back healed up enough yet to bring him to camp to push Butler? Suisham looks good now, but as the weather turns colder, so will his conversion rate.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wasn't impressed with Butler in camp or preseason. So far his average stinks but I doubt they'd bring in Kapinos at this point unless Butler gets hurt. Maybe he'll get better with experience, but as the weather gets worse at Heinz it won't get any easier kicking that ball.

Thread Information