Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IS STEELER "D" STARTING TO FEEL LIKE THAT OLD CAR?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

IS STEELER "D" STARTING TO FEEL LIKE THAT OLD CAR?

You know the one. It was never the prettiest ride on the block, but it always got the job done. And even when it started falling apart you didn't want to admit it. So you tried to fix it or took it in for more repairs than it was worth, hoping against hope that it would be the sweet ride once again that never failed you. But you really knew deep down that over the years too many essential parts had been either worn down or discarded, and that its glory days were over. And you got that sick feeling that you were soon going to have to part with "old faithful" and find another way...
    It's kind of the way I'm starting to think of the Steeler "D." For over a decade it has "firing on all cylinders," tuned to near perfection by that trusty ol' mechanic--Dick LeBeau. But now you lose some essential parts: Aaron Smith, some crucial spares: Chris Hoke, and other parts: Harrison, Polamalu, Hampton, have been maybe just a little too beat up....to the point that they may never be what they once were. And try as he may, the mechanic can only work with what's under the hood(Ziggy?).
    I hope I am wrong and the Steeler "D" has a stellar year. Last minute heroics aside, this is the "D" that has given us two SB Championships this century. It wasn't the Bruce Arians 22 ppg. offense.
    But today's offense has the potential to score at a much higher average. Under Haley I expect the Steelers to be in the top third of the NFL in terms of points-per-game scored (not the bottom third as we were last year).
    The historically stingy Steeler "D," however, is another question. I don't see our defensive line being capable of shutting down opponents' run game, as we have in past years. And if giving up 34 points to a Carson Palmer-led offense is any indication of our ability to limit scoring, it may be a season where Steeler fans need to become accustomed to shoot-outs. That will be a major departure from past years.
    Last edited by steelspikes; 09-28-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typos
    STEELSPIKES

Veteran
    I'd argue that they smell like a backed up septic system.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    The nucleus of every great Steeler defense starts and ends with a rock solid LB'in corp.

We just don't have that right now. With Harrison out and looking more and more like his days are numbered, and an average MLB in Foote (at best), this corp is very limited in what they're able to do.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    I'd argue that they smell like a backed up septic system.
    Lmao!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The DL is average and the LB's while being paid like elite players are not performing like elite players....Yes the poor play of the DL effects the LBs but Woodley and Timmons play better start matching their pay checks.......Especially Timmons.......

My 2004 Saturn with 143,000 miles runs like new. When I need to fix something I google how to fix it then go to NAPA to get the part. I hope we have the parts some where on the roster, then maybe the coaches can google some Steeler forums for ideas on how to fix this wreck.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Timmons is coasting and Woodley looks lost by not having a specific role. Screw dropping
    back in coverage. Rush the ends and hurry up the oppossing QB! Everytime we "drop" back
    it just gives the QB more time to pick his spots,especially happens with the TE's who don't
    get covered by our LB's anyhow on most plays. I'm really disappointed in Hood and Heyward
    also. They haven't showed my squat when they get in. If you wanna stay in,show something!!

The DL has to suck up blocks better for the linebackers, and then the LB's have to make plays. Larry Foote is not an elite talent. With Harrison out, that means half of the key part of a 3-4 is not good enough. That's a major reason why Wodley and Timmons have been shadows of their former selves. No respect for the other linebackers.

It also seems like our DB's are not as adept at stopping the run anymore (See Ryan Mundy on the McFadden TD run)

Hopefully getting Troy and Harrison back into the lineup with change things but it starts up front. Hood and Heyward HAVE to get better.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Starting to stink???

Personnel issues mostly, but with some subtle changes, Steelers can be defensively strong again.

Hampton to the bench, replace with McClendon
    Woddy from the Strong Side to the weak side (Harrison's side). Move Worilds / Carter to Woody's side.
    Corners play more physical coverage, more press and less zone. Use their size to their advantage. Beat up the WR's, and disrupt the timing of the offense.
    Foote to this point has been playing pretty well while Timmons has been irrelevant. Why? He looks bigger and slower but he also seems out of position; like he is learning this LB position for the 1st time.
    Ryan Mundy is USELESS. . .no business in the NFL.

Thread Information