Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFF: Three Performances of Note from PIT vs Oak...

Bookmark and Share

PFF: Three Performances of Note from PIT vs Oak...

Big Ben Deserved Better

It seems a funny thing to say, given that he had a shot to lead his team on the final drive and win the game but came up short, but I think it’s fair to argue that Roethlisberger’s +5.1 graded game deserved better than a defeat. In truth he made a lot of plays, and often extended them with his own trademark style to hit receivers for gains throughout the game.

Unlike some passers who only start to scramble when things break down, Roethlisberger actually uses his movement to open up throwing lanes and coverages by causing the defense to react. He can generate a pass where there wasn’t one previously by moving around and shifting the angles relative to defenders. It may cost him some hits and pressure at times, but in the greater scheme of things it’s worth the trouble. He finished the game 36 of 46 on his aimed throws (removing two spikes and a throwaway) for 384 yards and four touchdowns. That’s a passer rating of 130.4

Linebackers Strong Against the Run

They may have been without James Harrisonbut the Steelers still got some very impressive play from their linebackers. None of the four graded negatively for the game, and three of them scored very well against the run.Lamarr Woodley (+1.8), Larry Foote (+2.3) andLawrence Timmons(+3.3) all showed very well in the run game, and constantly knifed between blockers to make stops in and around the line of scrimmage. The four linebackers combined for 12 defensive stops and just a single missed tackle.

Though Harrison is obviously a major loss for Pittsburgh, they will be pleased at how Chris Carter played in his stead. Carter may not have graded spectacularly (+0.2), but he made plays in the game and wasn’t exposed the way some players can be at that position.

D-Line Needs Reinforcements

I routinely wonder what some Steelers fans see inZiggy Hood (-2.4), to the point that I’m actually checking plays more times than I normally would just to make sure I’m not missing some extremely subtle and under-the-radar level of dominance from him. It’s just not there. I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run game–and even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.

I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if he’s out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker. In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isn’t getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...aiders-week-3/

Just curious here, how did the secondary grade out?

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run game–and even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.

I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if he’s out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker.
    Last edited by Zachintosh66; 09-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

He's awful and I hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Just curious here, how did the secondary grade out?
    There was no mention.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Linebackers strong against the run? Go look at Mcfadden's stats. I don't agree with the assessment of the linebackers. I judge by what the oppossing runningback did or didn't do.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Linebackers strong against the run? Go look at Mcfadden's stats. I don't agree with the assessment of the linebackers. I judge by what the oppossing runningback did or didn't do.
    He had one long run on his first carry of the game. 49 total rushing yards outside of that. I've never been one to say "ya but get rid of that one run"... But this was his FIRST carry. Saying the LBs didn't play well against the run based on the first carry of the game is ignorant. Plus when did it become solely the linebackers jobs to stop the run? 6 vs 4 seems fair.
    Last edited by Big T; 09-26-2012 at 06:01 PM.

I grade a LB'r based on sacks and or hurries. Let the d line stuff the run. To me that's where we're hurting the most.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I grade a LB'r based on sacks and or hurries. Let the d line stuff the run. To me that's where we're hurting the most.
    That statement is confusing to me lol. So, if the D line doesn't stop the run, the linebackers should let them score? Lol. And that whole statement is another reason why people think Woodley and Timmons have been ****** this season when they haven't been. Just because Wooldey and Timmons aren't being utilized properly and aren't rushing the passer anywhere near what they should be, people think they've been "nonexistent"... Timmons isn't rushing hardly at all, but he's played the run extremely well. Woodley has been dropped into coverage more that he's rushed (which is unbelievable), but it seems like everytime the man rushes he atleast gets pressure. Not to mention the fact that he's played the run very well.

And yes I see that you also said hurries, but that rant was directed at fans in general haha

I'm sorry man I'm just used to seeing our two OLB getting good pressure. I understand our 2 ILB will stay home to sniff the run. Should of been more detailed.. lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information