Thread: Immaculate Reception monument going up in Pittsburgh

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Immaculate Reception monument going up in Pittsburgh

Long overdue if you ask me but I can't wait to see it when we get back to the burg again!

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the most memorable play in NFL history, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Senator John Heinz History Center, in conjunction with Allegheny Technologies Incorporated (ATI), will be unveiling an “Immaculate Reception” monument near Heinz Field, it was announced today.

The monument will be unveiled at a special ceremony on Saturday, December 22, the day prior to the 40th anniversary of the play and the Steelers game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field. The unveiling will take place at the actual site of the “Immaculate Reception,” which is located between Heinz Field and Stage AE.

“This year marks the 40th anniversary of the ‘Immaculate Reception’ and it will forever have a place in all of our memories,” Steelers President Art Rooney II said. “Over the years I have had many fans tell me we should do something to commemorate the exact location of Franco Harris’ catch. I am glad we are finally able to get this done with the help of the Heinz History Center and ATI.”

“Forty years ago, the greatest play in the annals of the NFL helped to shape the Steelers franchise,” said Andy Masich, president and CEO of the Heinz History Center. “The ‘Immaculate Reception’ made history, and now the Steelers Nation can help commemorate the moment—and the exact location—by donating to the special Immaculate Reception monument fund.”
    - Steelers.com

40 years! Wow! That is the play that started it all.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Mellow
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information