Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Owners Laughing all the way to the bank

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I have to disagree with you. It's a very smart business decision to lock them out. They are running a business that has become very successful for them. Does that give the officials the right to demand more than what they are worth? Hell no. They want a full pension but they are part time workers. No private company is going to do that. (Our state governments will but that's one reason why they are broke) They make on average about $8000 a game. That's $150,000 a year for a part time job that they screw up almost as much as the replacements. You pay people what they are worth not what you can.

I'd fire them all, hire the replacements full time and train them. In no time they would be doing a better job.
    Couldn't have stated it better myself. I have been saying for years the officials should be full time. They could study the rule book all off season and study film.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I have to disagree with you. It's a very smart business decision to lock them out. They are running a business that has become very successful for them. Does that give the officials the right to demand more than what they are worth? Hell no. They want a full pension but they are part time workers. No private company is going to do that. (Our state governments will but that's one reason why they are broke) They make on average about $8000 a game. That's $150,000 a year for a part time job that they screw up almost as much as the replacements. You pay people what they are worth not what you can.

I'd fire them all, hire the replacements full time and train them. In no time they would be doing a better job.
    Couldn't have stated it better myself. I have been saying for years the officials should be full time. They could study the rule book all off season and study film.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Rookie Free Agent
    Obviously, the owners have to realize that the professional "part time" refs are worth more than what they get paid. The owners tried to got the replacement route and it didn't work out. The part time thing is also a joke. I'd rather see full time dedicated refs. Baseball has full time refs. They play more games. But you get a better game and a better fan experience. You'd have less blown calls and less time reviewing challenges. Maybe less challenges as well.

These old white curmudgeons, wearing polos and plaid shorts with gin and tonics in their hands at some fancy country clubs fought against horse jockeys to prevent them from wearing sponsorship ads on their jerseys and pants. Jockeys are independent contractors and they should have been allowed to do what they wanted. The wealthy cabal said no. That money could have gone to pay for jockey health insurance, which many jockeys can not afford.

I'm sure there is a lot of waste in the NFL. Please someone tell me how 3.2 million in extra income to the refs per season is unreasonable. I think $7 dollars for a coors beer at Sports Authority stadium is outrageous.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

You're last statement is exactly what needs to happen in some fashion.. get full time refs, the NFL is a 9 billion dollar a year business being controlled on the field by part time officials. Yes, guys like Mike Carey and Ed Hochuli are very, very, good. Thank goodness. I've said it a hundred times if I've said it once, I'll take a Hochuli holding call any day over this replacement stuff.

The real officials are mostly all lawyers, doctors, company owners, and such so they generally have real jobs with nice incomes but they also travel across the country every week being away from work and home. It's not like they a metric ton of money either being an official. As much as they do for the NFL, now evident more than ever, compensate them better.
    The average salary that an NFL referee earns per year nests between the sums of $25,000 and $70,000. This is not as much as the referees for others like the NHA and NBA make. The umpires in Major League Baseball make around $141,000 annually. The NBA referees make around $128,000 annually and the NHL officials earn around $139,000 annually. By looking at these sums, individuals will see that the NFL referees are at the bottom of the charts when it comes to the amount of money they earn. However, one has to consider the fact that an NFL referee works one game a week, while referees in the other sports work multiple games per week. The job of NFL referee required flexibility and go through training before match.
    Source

Thread Information