Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much value placed on Ike Taylor?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Too much value placed on Ike Taylor?

This has nothing to do with any fans jumping off bridges at the 1-2 start, but rather just an interesting point I heard the other night on a post game talk show. For so long Ike Taylor has been the best cornerback on the Steelers roster and as of now he still is. For what it's worth Cortez Allen is having a rough year so far but still has huge potential; Keenan Lewis has been inconsistent.

Up until that playoff loss last year, teams rarely threw towards Taylor because they had no need too. There were a ton of options everywhere else to attack. Last year Ike had the best year of his career but that Denver game was a disaster.

Now this season teams are attacking him left and right and having success. So I ask you, how much of that is just Taylor struggling with the rest of the secondary vs maybe Taylor losing a step or being over rated from the past?

Too much value placed on Ike Taylor?

I've been saying it for years.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    I have never considered Ike Taylor a good CB.....He is serviceable at best........

Starter
    your corners are only as good as your pass rush allows them to be.....

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    teecee has a point...

it seems like Ike has always been on the cusp of being great, not just good. I personally have always liked him and pushed for him but this year his teammates wont help his cause.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    Oh my god have any of you ever watched Ike Taylor play? He's one of the most valuable players on our defense right now. One of the best corners in the league IMO. Continually shuts down wide receivers. You're crazy if you think we could do without him.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Oh my god have any of you ever watched Ike Taylor play? He's one of the most valuable players on our defense right now. One of the best corners in the league IMO. Continually shuts down wide receivers. You're crazy if you think we could do without him.
    Ike isn't tops in the league, but he is a very hard working player. He might be a little overpayed on his new contract, but he does a great job for us 98% of the time. I'm happy with him.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He is clearly the best corner on the roster right now, I think we can all agree on that. He had his best year of his career last year not because of the interceptions but with passes defensed and things of that nature. He can effectively shut down most receivers in the game.

Maybe it is just him being exposed this year more because the secondary is struggling in general?

Remember, last year there was very little pass rush either.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Maybe it is just him being exposed this year more because the secondary is struggling in general?
    I think the secondary looks better than it has in a few years, and thats without Troy. The LB and D-line are what have me pulling my hair out.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

All starts with the D line. They aren't holding their blocks, that isn't allowing the linebackers to get pressure, and in turn the secondary is forced to stay with the receivers longer and they get exposed. Start Heyward over Hood and McClendon over Snack and there will be improvements.

Thread Information