Thread: Tuesday Marks 10 Yr. Anniv. of Steeler Great Webster's Death

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

Tuesday Marks 10 Yr. Anniv. of Steeler Great Webster's Death

"Iron Mike" Webster, Hall of Fame Steeler Center from "the Dynasty" era, a man whose bare-armed play in frigid temps forged the mold for Steeler toughness, died at the age of fifty, on Sept. 24, 2002. The following brief bio is from the ProFootballHOF website (He also has a Wikipedia page.):

Mike Webster, a 6-1, 255-pound All-Big Ten center at Wisconsin, was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ fifth-round selection and the 125th player taken in the 1974 NFL Draft. A three-year starter and honor student in college, Webster adapted to the pro game quickly.

For two years, he split time at center with veteran Ray Mansfield while seeing some service at guard and the special teams. However, with a start in the final game of the 1975 season, Webster began a string of 150 consecutive starts that lasted until 1986, when he missed the first four games with a dislocated elbow.

Webster, who was born March 18, 1952, at Tomahawk, Wisconsin, played more seasons (15) and more games (220) than any other player in Pittsburgh history. Webster, who was the team’s offensive captain for nine seasons, was considered to be the strongest Steeler and won the Ironman competition in 1980 to give credence to that belief.

Webster, who joined the team in the same year the Steelers won their first of four Super Bowls, also played in six AFC championship games. Pittsburgh won four of the six title games. Webster was an all-pro choice seven times and was selected to the All-AFC team five times from 1978 through 1982. He also played in nine Pro Bowls, the first five as a starter.

R.I.P., Mike.
    Last edited by steelspikes; 09-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    STEELSPIKES

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Greatest Center in Steelers history and one of the greatest of all time, no question about it. It's such a shame how his life panned out in his later years but his legendary status is in tact. RIP

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I got to meet Mike webster a year before he died. He signed a Steeler football for me at a card shop here in Ohio. I also had my picture taken with him. Very class guy. He took his time to sign the whole side of my football with all the super bowls and said hof '97. I have this football proudly displayed.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevelandsux View Post
    I got to meet Mike webster a year before he died. He signed a Steeler football for me at a card shop here in Ohio. I also had my picture taken with him. Very class guy. He took his time to sign the whole side of my football with all the super bowls and said hof '97. I have this football proudly displayed.
    Great story, thanks. He died much too young.
    STEELSPIKES

Banned
    who joined the team in the same year the Steelers won their first of four Super Bowls, also played in six AFC championship games. Pittsburgh won four of the six title games. Webster was an all-pro choice seven times and was selected to the All-AFC team five times from 1978 through 1982. He also played in nine Pro Bowls, the first five as a starter.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    OMG cant beleive its been 10 years!!! How time flies! Maybe the hardest working center ever in the NFL.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Always remembered. #52 my official Steelers jersey.

And their fans.

Do i recall a player in another thread that helped Mike financially?

Thread Information