Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter

My Take: The 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers

I'll say it as simple as I know how:

"The Steelers are not as good as you think they are, or as bad as you think they are"

I know many in Steelers Nation are running around in doomsday mode right now telling others we all need to jump from the 86th floor window, .... but the truth of the matter is .... we don't.

I won't spend too much time talking about the offense because we're fairly solid on that side of the ball and will only get better with the return of Mendy and eventually DeCastro. Sure, the running game is not where it needs to be, but it will get there. The young fellas' need real game experience. Overall, I like Haley's play calling and I like the scheme. I love the way he's utilizing the TE and the RB's in the passing game and his quick passing attack is sure to preserve Ben in his later years. Ben Roeth put up herculean numbers yesterday. Anytime you hang 31 points on a team you would THINK that would be enough to put a team away. Not the case yesterday ...

And now the Defense:

Wow, where do I begin? First off, I'm not about to drop trau and **** on LeBeau like some other people are doing right now. 1) I have too much respect for the man and 2) he's more than earned that respect. The reality is, LeBeau has personnel problems and that's something he has very little control over now that the season has started. The personnel problems that I'm referring to is, quite simply, a lack of playmaking talent as a direct result of busted high round draft picks that are not living up to their potential. Combine this with aging veterans that are no longer starting caliber players.

In a nutshell:

LeBeau does not have the player talent to employ the type of defense that he is accustomed to running.

mushroom-cloud.jpg

BOOM! ...... and there it is.

Hood, Timmons, Worilds, Gilbert .... not even close to their 1st and 2nd round draft billing. I've seen enough of Jason Worilds to say with 100% certaintly he's Zo Jackson all over again. He looked lost and slow. Hood's ability as an edge rusher has been taken away from him in this system. If the Steelers thought he would fit their system, they were sadly mistaken. Hood is truly trying and has motor, but the reality is ... this is not the system for him. Timmons is hit or miss. He'll have a great game followed by 2 pedestrian games followed by 1 "**** the bed" game and the cycle wil start all over again. Foote is a guy who can hold his own. Probably a 2nd teamer on most squads, but certainly not a stand-out top tier MLB. Woodley is the only true guy who can be called an impact playmaker on our defense right now. As long as teams know this, he'll be doubled and deemed Mr. Irrelivant. This just in, Marcus Gilbert has a vagina.

Hampton and Keisel are no longer starting caliber talent. I'm sorry if some of you still think that they are. Trust me on this one, let go people ... let it go, they're simply NOT. They are now "spot duty" subs at best. McLendon is a better nose than Fat Casey is at this point of his career. McLendon needs to see the field more. Keisel has been as irrelivant as any player I've seen on the defense this year. The man is virtually non-existant. Where in the hell is Cam Heyward? Who did he **** off so badly that they're keeping a 2nd year 1st round pick off the mother lovin' field? All I heard out of camp was how Mundy and Lewis are ready to take on more responsibilities this year. Guess what? Not only are both NOT ready for prime time, I could argue that neither would even make a final 53 man roster around the NFL.

And there you have it folks. It's a grab-bag **** sandwich on defense and we all have to take a bite. I won't even go into the top round draft picks that we squandered over the past few years like Limas Sweed, Keith Urbick, Thaddeus Gibson, Tone Holmes, Bruce Davis, Anthony Smith, or Willie Reid.

If you want to pin the current state of the defense on anybody, pin it on Colbert and Tomlin. They're the one's who are grading the draft picks and going after these dark horses to fit into a system they have no business being in. They're the one's who decided to dish off 1st rounders like Tone Holmes without getting any value in return .. to make some silly *** "zero tolerance" statement!

LeBeau is playing the hand he's being dealt. If I were him, I'd sign-off at the end of the season and call it a day. He has nothing left to prove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeSteelerFan; 09-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

My Mood
    Clowns
    That's a pretty insightful post, thank you!

I'm not a Lebeau hater by any means, although I do think he is stubborn at times with the coverages he calls. I agree the personnel is not up to par in key areas, there is youth on this team that hasn't developed yet but also the depth at linebacker is just beyond terrible. You can't run a good 34 without great, and I do mean great linebackers.

So who's to blame for the lack of depth and quality play from veterans? Falls squarely on the front office and Tomlin IMO.

My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by CowherPower View Post
    That's a pretty insightful post, thank you!

So who's to blame for the lack of depth and quality play from veterans? Falls squarely on the front office and Tomlin IMO.
    I would wholeheartedly agree.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well said Joe, hate to agree with you but I do and have many times in the past. I'd like to use part of your post in an article coming up on the blog if that's ok.

Anyway, Ive never been a Lebeau hater but like others I think he's hampered not only by personnel but also the past. He's got an amazing resume that none of us can counter in a million years. He's calling plays that used to work when all those guys you mentioned and others were in their prime.

I've been calling for Heyward to get more time, but was hoping if not then at least maybe Hood's busy offseason would yield better results than in the past. Not so to this point. I don't know that Keisel is washed up quite yet but clearly he wears down as the game goes on. It used to be that these guys got tougher in the 4th quarter, now they just fall apart.

The secondary, it's got huge potential at corner but everyone other than Ike is a first year starter. Growing pains are the easiest way to say it but I like the promise of Allen, Brown, and even Lewis still.

Offensively, nothing but love for the passing game and what Haley is doing with Ben, Heath, Wallace and the rest.

Offensive Line is a disaster once again. Losing guys in 2 of 3 three games, ugh. I think they could be decent given time to work together but how can that happen when they can't stay on the field.

What of Kugler? How much of that do you pin on him? Injuries every week, every year, all the time? I can't buy that it's all coincidence.

My Take: The 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers

Ike has been getting burnt thus holding and causing flags to be thrown his way. Right now the whole team is just playing stupid! Some of the flags thrown were just plain dumb! This team has to be better than that.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSteelerFan View Post
    I'll say it as simple as I know how:

"They're not as good as you think they are, and are they as bad as you think they are"

I know many in Steelers Nation are running around in doomsday mode right now telling others we all need to jump from the 86th floor window, .... but the truth of the matter is .... we don't.

I won't spend too much time talking about the offense because we're fairly solid on that side of the ball and will only get better with the return of Mendy and eventually DeCastro. Sure, the running game is not where it needs to be, but it will get there. The young fellas' need real game experience. Overall, I like Haley's play calling and I like the scheme. I love the way he's utilizing the TE and the RB's in the passing game and his quick passing attack is sure to preserve Ben in his later years. Ben Roeth put up herculean numbers yesterday. Anytime you hang 31 points on a team you would THINK that would be enough to put a team away. Not the case yesterday ...

And now the Defense:

Wow, where do I begin? First off, I'm not about to drop trau and **** on LeBeau like some other people are doing right now. 1) I have too much respect for the man and 2) he's more than earned that respect. The reality is, LeBeau has personnel problems and that's something he has very little control over now that the season has started. The personnel problems that I'm referring to is, quite simply, a lack of playmaking talent as a direct result of busted high round draft picks that are not living up to their potential. Combine this with aging veterans that are no longer starting caliber players.

In a nutshell:

LeBeau does not have the player talent to employ the type of defense that he is accustomed to running.

mushroom-cloud.jpg

BOOM! ...... and there it is.

Hood, Timmons, Worilds, Gilbert .... not even close to their 1st and 2nd round draft billing. I've seen enough of Jason Worilds to say with 100% certaintly he's Zo Jackson all over again. He looked lost and slow. Hood's ability as an edge rusher has been taken away from him in this system. If the Steelers thought he would fit their system, they were sadly mistaken. Hood is truly trying and has motor, but the reality is ... this is not the system for him. Timmons is hit or miss. He'll have a great game followed by 2 pedestrian games followed by 1 "**** the bed" game and the cycle wil start all over again. Foote is a guy who can hold his own. Probably a 2nd teamer on most squads, but certainly not a stand-out top tier MLB. Woodley is the only true guy who can be called an impact playmaker on our defense right now. As long as teams know this, he'll be doubled and deemed Mr. Irrelivant. This just in, Marcus Gilbert has a vagina.

Hampton and Keisel are no longer starting caliber talent. I'm sorry if some of you still think that they are. Trust me on this one, let go people ... let it go, they're simply NOT. They are now "spot duty" subs at best. McLendon is a better nose than Fat Casey is at this point of his career. McLendon needs to see the field more. Keisel has been as irrelivant as any player I've seen on the defense this year. The man is virtually non-existant. Where in the hell is Cam Heyward? Who did he **** off so badly that they're keeping a 2nd year 1st round pick off the mother lovin' field? All I heard out of camp was how Mundy and Lewis are ready to take on more responsibilities this year. Guess what? Not only are both NOT ready for prime time, I could argue that neither would even make a final 53 man roster around the NFL.

And there you have it folks. It's a grab-bag **** sandwich on defense and we all have to take a bite. I won't even go into the top round draft picks that we squandered over the past few years like Limas Sweed, Keith Urbick, Thaddeus Gibson, Tone Holmes, Bruce Davis, Anthony Smith, or Willie Reid.

If you want to pin the current state of the defense on anybody, pin it on Colbert and Tomlin. They're the one's who are grading the draft picks and going after these dark horses to fit into a system they have no business being in. They're the one's who decided to dish off 1st rounders like Tone Holmes without getting any value in return .. to make some silly *** "zero tolerance" statement!

LeBeau is playing the hand he's being dealt. If I were him, I'd sign-off at the end of the season and call it a day. He has nothing left to prove.
    the D has less talent then previos yrs as we had bad drafts ,like u mention....Dick's formidable D needs quality players..we have old greats mixed in with bad/avg youth.

I do think things will get better with our 2 best Players troy and Harrison even knowing they lost a step.....if our Offense can score 27 a game, we could be OK

this does look like 2009...Ben great numbers but no D

Draft Pick
    I think we Miss William Gay more than we thought btw...lol its true...how bout them Cards defense, they know how to make stops and Gay is a monster over there LOL

Rookie Free Agent Steelers/PSU Fan's Avatar
    Nice post Joe, I agree with everything you said.
    Release the Keisel!

My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Well said Joe, hate to agree with you but I do and have many times in the past. I'd like to use part of your post in an article coming up on the blog if that's ok.
    Sure, never a problem.

What of Kugler? How much of that do you pin on him? Injuries every week, every year, all the time? I can't buy that it's all coincidence
    That's hard to say. Injuries can happen and will happen; even to the most well conditioned athletes. However, I do believe the Steelers need a massive philosophy overhaul to their strength and conditioning program. I don't think they create anywhere near the emphasis other teams do on strength and speed. I want the Steelers conditioned to a standard that reminds them daily why they're the most physically dominating team on the field. I just don't see that today.

My Mood
    Asleep
    Good post...KEY WORDS...This defense is "LACKING TALENT" and it shows.

Thread Information