Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Ben calling plays not even in the playbook

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben Roethlisberger clarifies he wasn't calling plays from the Bruce Arians' playbook, just using old hand signals in no-huddle situations - Will Graves - AP

LOL, I bet...Arians was there long enough that those old hand signals came from him somehow.

Big Ben calling plays not even in the playbook

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger clarifies he wasn't calling plays from the Bruce Arians' playbook, just using old hand signals in no-huddle situations - Will Graves - AP

LOL, I bet...Arians was there long enough that those old hand signals came from him somehow.
    Yea, a cupped hand in an up and down motion for 2-3 minutes while thinking of Ben.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Do you think had Ben not been accused of sexual assault he'd get more respect around the sports world? I often wonder this!

Ben and the whole team knows how the media twists things, all I said was I wish he'd keep stuff like that quiet.
    Ben didn't get his just due before his off field troubles......

Big Ben calling plays not even in the playbook

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ben didn't get his just due before his off field troubles......
    His rookie year he cashed in on endorsements etc, it was the year after when things started..

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Do you think had Ben not been accused of sexual assault he'd get more respect around the sports world? I often wonder this!
    Of course that effects things. I listen to local NYC & Philly sports talk and everyone of them have had him in the top 5 QB's for the last 5 years or so. Most national guys do also.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Do you remember the game against the Jags? I think it was a Monday night game the Jags were on about the 15 or so and the Steelers CB was playing 10 yards off the receiver. Mark Brunnell came up to the line, saw the coverage and just pointed to the receiver to run a slant. 10 seconds later they have a TD on a slant. I think it was a game winner. It was like grade school kids playing in the park.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Of course that effects things. I listen to local NYC & Philly sports talk and everyone of them have had him in the top 5 QB's for the last 5 years or so. Most national guys do also.

Do you remember the game against the Jags? I think it was a Monday night game the Jags were on about the 15 or so and the Steelers CB was playing 10 yards off the receiver. Mark Brunnell came up to the line, saw the coverage and just pointed to the receiver to run a slant. 10 seconds later they have a TD on a slant. I think it was a game winner. It was like grade school kids playing in the park.
    Well right now he's top-two at worst.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Even though he was using Bruce Arians’ language in a no-huddle drive, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said there’s no rift between him and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Roethlisberger used signals to his receivers that were standard when Arians was offensive coordinator, and have since been added to Haley’s playbook. But he didn’t want to make it sound as if he preferred his old play-callers ways.

“I really didn’t think it would get blown up as much as it did, and I know some people are saying that I’ve been resistant to Todd,” Roethlisberger said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But it’s one of those things that we went to Todd, and it’s in the playbook now. It was simply a signal that I used with our receivers on two different occasions. One was on the fourth-and-1, we got the ball to Mike [Wallace]. The other one was later on third down to Emmanuel [Sanders]. We converted both plays. It worked out.”

Roethlisberger can downplay it, and it’s obviously early. But it’s obviously also worth watching.

The quarterback also had what he called “one little incident” with Haley in the opener against Denver, from which he walked away.

Arians, now the Colts’ offensive coordinator, still has a close relationship with his old quarterback. Roethlisberger said they “talk every week.”

Until he and Haley create results on the field, people in Pittsburgh are going to wonder if their relationship will ever reach that same level.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...09/26/1323845/

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Well said.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information