Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

The fine was warranted under the NFL rules, even if Timmon's pleads against it they probably won't reduce it by much. Still though, I'm glad he did it because Sanchez was never the same afterwards.

I'm sure Goodell just loved signing the paperwork to approve this one, after all he hasn't gotten to fine a Steeler yet this year.

Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons has been fined $21,000 for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez during the second quarter last weekend.
    The fine is the first known penalty imposed on the Steelers this season. The NFL doesn’t make fines official until Friday, but the league alerts players a day or two in advance.
    On a third-and-3 from his own 27, Sanchez rolled to his right, pulled up and threw a pass toward the sideline intended for Jeremy Kerley. As Sanchez stopped moving forward, Timmons slammed into the quarterback with his helmet, drawing a 15-yard personal-foul penalty.
    Without the penalty, the Jets would have had to punt, but they went on to drive to the Steelers’ 19 before Nick Folk kicked a 38-yard field goal — New York’s final points during Pittsburgh’s 27-10 victory at Heinz Field.
    The $21,000 is a standard fine for a hit to the head and is an increase of 5 percent over last season, when such a fine was $20,000.
    Prior to being hit by Timmons, Sanchez was 4 of 5 for 80 yards. After the hit, he was 6 of 22 for 58 yards. -- Pittsburgh Trib

Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war. You're right - Sanchez was not the same after that shot.

Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

Damn that was some expensive Mexican food!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Sunshine
    LT needs to hire a lawyer.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

2nd String
    These fines are crazy. That hit was obviously just a miscalculation of contact by Timmons. He tried to lead with his shoulder, but sensing the hit, Sanchez's head lowered as a reaction, which is absolutely what anyone would do. As a result, their heads contacted. It was not a malicious hit; it was obvious it was just the way the play happened and the helmet hit was incidental.

All of these fines are turning the rule into a joke. I don't think there is anyone in the league who would intentionally injure somebody with a helmet-to-helmet hit. This should be recognized and in game penalties should be the result. If it can be substantiated that anyone intentionally injures another player, helmet-to-helmet, or otherwise, then yes, levy a fine. But this incidental crap is belittling the game.

It is embarrassing to the tradition of the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    These fines are crazy. That hit was obviously just a miscalculation of contact by Timmons. He tried to lead with his shoulder, but sensing the hit, Sanchez's head lowered as a reaction, which is absolutely what anyone would do. As a result, their heads contacted. It was not a malicious hit; it was obvious it was just the way the play happened and the helmet hit was incidental.
    Doesn't matter. Any hit to the head on a QB or receiver is a penalty, end of story. It's been the case for a few years now. However, if that's the rule, that's the rule, so they need to call it on teams playing us as well. None of this, Heath almost getting decapitated and no call, or Hines laying out and getting smacked in the head and no call.

Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

Goodell's pocket just got fatter! I hate him!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Sunshine

Re: Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

This is all bulls$#t it's nothing more yhan Goddell' ego. The day you can explain to me why it's ok to hit a rb or lineman in the head but not one of the big money guy's than i'll agree it's about player safety.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons was fined $21,000 for a hit on Mark Sanchez on Sunday, and he’s not happy about it.

“What can you do? I was just playing ball,” Timmons told Joe Starkey of 93.7 The Fan. “I lowered my target like you’re supposed to do. I can’t help it if he slides or falls. It’s a tough spot to be in.”

Timmons, who signed a six-year, $50 million contract last year, added that “any time you get fined, it’s a lot of money.”

It’s not surprising that Timmons is upset to be losing $21,000, but it is surprising if he can look at this hit he delivered on Sanchez and honestly claim that he doesn’t think he did anything wrong. Timmons lowered the crown of his helmet directly into Sanchez’s jaw, in a textbook illustration of exactly the kind of hit the NFL wants to eliminate. The NFL will fine hits like that every time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-mark-sanchez/

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Timmons fined $21K for hit on Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Goodell's pocket just got fatter! I hate him!
    Actually, the money goes to charity.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Thread Information