Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers still can't run the ball

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Steelers still can't run the ball

So maybe in week one you give them a pass to some degree; two lineman go down, first time in regular season with new offense, thin air, whatever.

Against the Jets, Dwyer had 12 carries for 28 yds and Redman had 12 carries for 25 yds.

In the Broncos game, Dwyer had 9 carries for 43 yds, Redman with 11 carries for 20 yds.

The line was healthy on Sunday, the offense was able to move the ball and sustain drives, but it was nearly all coming through the air. The Jets were selling out to stop the run. I saw them crashing the middle of the Steelers offensive line and then able to pursue to the outside quickly enough to keep the RB in front of them.

As much as they worked on the ground attack in the preseason and in training camp you'd think they were all about pounding the rock. Also interestingly enough is that the passing game has been coming a long quicker than the running game. Usually it's the other way around when you have a new offense.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    The Run will get a little better when RM34 returns....We have face it the O-line is poor at best maybe when DD66 returns and Adams improves it will get to at least avg........

Offense 27 points..

My Mood
    Ornery
    Run blocking certainly isn't where it should be yet but Dwyer and Redman ran hard and made plays when it counted.
    The Tradition Continues!!!

This team is built to pass the ball with Ben and the receivers, and Haley does a great job with the quick passes to make up for the inconsistency on the O line. As long as they run the ball a little to keep the defense honest, I honestly don't care if those stats are consistent throughout the season.

We have back ups of back ups RB's right now.. It'll get better!

My Mood
    Addicted
    a lot of the runs seem to be very slow developing...stretch runs that get stopped for loss of yardage. we run a little better when we go off guard or tackle. dwyer should be getting the bulk of the carries with redman getting a series every 3 or 4 possessions.

keep the running game simple for right now. let the line build in confidence and we should start seeing more yards on the ground. plus having oakland next week can't hurt. if reggie bush can go for 172, i'm thinking dwyer can go for at least half of that.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sooner or later they are going to have to run. Even with all the weapons that Ben has, there will be at least one game where somebody manages to shut down the pass. Plus you have to be able to run in the playoffs to at least keep the defenses honest.

We are definitely built to throw the ball, there's too many weapons not to, but damn I would like to see a more effective ground game consistently. I don't care if one back makes 100 yds or not, let Redman and Dwyer continue to split time if they want but at least get 50-60 yds from one of them.

My Mood
    Addicted
    When Mendy gets back we will have some solid combinations. Speed of Mendy/Rainey mixed with the power of Redman/Dwyer can be deadly if it's used the right way.

The run game will come with time. Give it another week or two and we will see a difference. It didnt help either that Redman and Dwyer sometimes were trying to make to much out of nothing and losing about 5 yards. Be patient, Steelers will be fine.

Thread Information