Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Passes, 26 Runs: Deceiving Stats

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

40 Passes, 26 Runs: Deceiving Stats

I've seen some chatter on this forum and others regarding the Steelers pass/run ratio in Denver. Some argue that Ben threw too much and the Steelers should have tried to run more. There are two problems with that argument.

One, stubborn and predictable running plays called early on in the game put the Steelers offense in 3rd & long situations, meaning Ben had to throw to bail out the offense. He went 11/15 on 3rd downs. Essentially, the Steelers were too unbalanced in favor of the run in their first few offensive series of the game.

Second, no-huddle in the second half. Both teams offenses went up-tempo in the second half. This is mainly because the Steelers and Broncos were trading leads. When you're behind, you're going to throw more.

The Broncos offense ended up being more balanced than the Steelers offense. Know why? The Broncos were playing in 2012 and not 1972. They allowed Manning to throw early in the game and mixed in running plays. They did that the entire game, even when they went into the no-huddle and it kept the entire Steeler defense off-balance.

The Steelers on the other hand were playing in 1972. They stubbornly tried to pound the rock on first and second downs, only to find themselves in 3rd & long situations. They did nothing to mix things up early on. The Steelers think they have to establish a running game before Ben and the receivers can do anything. The Steelers need to take a page out of the Broncos book. Let Ben throw more often earlier in the game, mixing in running plays to keep the other team's defense off balance and set up play-action. Perhaps then instead of needed him to make a comeback drive in the last 3 minutes, the Steelers would be milking the clock with the running game. Besides, the talent on the offensive side of the ball suggested their strength is passing and not running (even with Mendenhall back).

Steelers fans often blasted Arians for being predictable in the passing game. Being predictable in the running game is no better, and does nothing to protect Ben by putting him in a 3rd & long situation. In the end, the pass/run ratio isn't as important as it once was. The rules in today's NFL favor passing, so likely the numbers will be skewed in that direction anyways.

My Mood
    Manic
    Things will be different this week we should be able to runn the ball

My Mood
    Paranoid
    The thing is: steelers ran the ball well vs. Denver in last season's playoff game, when redman had 100+ yds. rushing. Haley likely figured they could do it again. Wrong on that one. Denver obviously shored up their run defense.
    STEELSPIKES

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's hard to establish a pattern after just one game. Haley is going to run the ball on first down a lot this year I think, they want to be a physical team and get back to an effective running game. The only way to do that is the run the ball often and establish the line of scrimmage. If you run on first down and throw on second down you then become predictable in that you give up on the run game too easily. Plus they did have success against Denver last year. Basically you have to start somewhere in establishing the run so at times it can be predictable, and at times it was I'll give you that, but let's wait and see what they do this week. Do they run the same plays at the same time against the Jets or are they actually going to gameplan and go after their weakness, which the Bills exposed as the Jets run defense and now this week without Revis.

I didn't help that the entire right side of the line was missing since what, the first quarter?

As far as the no huddle, I don't expect the Steelers to be predictable with it this year. They started using it in the first half and most of the second half. In the past we only saw Arians break out that style of play when the Steelers were down or really struggling. This time they brought it out when we had a lead in the game too.

40 Passes, 26 Runs: Deceiving Stats

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Things will be different this week we should be able to runn the ball
    Why do you think this week will be different?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's hard to establish a pattern after just one game. Haley is going to run the ball on first down a lot this year I think, they want to be a physical team and get back to an effective running game. The only way to do that is the run the ball often and establish the line of scrimmage. If you run on first down and throw on second down you then become predictable in that you give up on the run game too easily.
    So the Steelers should just run, run, pass from now on? Yo, whoever the starting RB is isn't anywhere near as talented as Ben. The Steelers don't need to be so dependent on a running game with him at QB and the talent at WR. This team is currently built to be a passing team. The running game is complementary. Most fans stuck in the past say "You have to run the ball to establish a passing game!" No, it doesn't quite work like that anymore.

People blasted Arians for predictability, but now it's okay for Haley to be predictable as long as calls more running plays? C'mon man, you know that makes no sense. Too many fans are just making excuses so they see more running plays.

I didn't help that the entire right side of the line was missing since what, the first quarter?
    The running game still stunk even when the line was healthy in the first quarter.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Things will be different because:

1. The Jets showed last week they can be ran on. Look at Spiller's numbers
    2. The mandate from the top was to restore a better run/pass ratio this season. So they will still try to run.
    3. The whole offensive line will be intact. Foster and Gilbert left last week's game.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Things will be different because:

1. The Jets showed last week they can be ran on. Look at Spiller's numbers
    2. The mandate from the top was to restore a better run/pass ratio this season. So they will still try to run.
    3. The whole offensive line will be intact. Foster and Gilbert left last week's game.
    1.) The Jets are also weak in coverage over the middle and will be without their best CB.
    2.) If that's the case, they should look at how the Broncos ran their offense. They were more balanced and less preidctable. You don't need to stubbornly run and first and second downs before Ben can do anything. Lets stay in the year 2012.
    3.) The running game still stunk even when they were healthy in the first quarter. Then again, even a healthy line might not help if you're that predictable with the running game.

2nd String
    Just running the ball does not make a team "physical." The Steelers so far, in preseason and regular season, have been about 5 football fields away from being physical. I agree with the concept, but, I am not confident the Steelers can execute that on desire alone. To be physical, they need to get physical.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's hard to establish a pattern after just one game. Haley is going to run the ball on first down a lot this year I think, they want to be a physical team and get back to an effective running game. The only way to do that is the run the ball often and establish the line of scrimmage. If you run on first down and throw on second down you then become predictable in that you give up on the run game too easily. Plus they did have success against Denver last year. Basically you have to start somewhere in establishing the run so at times it can be predictable, and at times it was I'll give you that, but let's wait and see what they do this week. Do they run the same plays at the same time against the Jets or are they actually going to gameplan and go after their weakness, which the Bills exposed as the Jets run defense and now this week without Revis.

As far as the no huddle, I don't expect the Steelers to be predictable with it this year. They started using it in the first half and most of the second half. In the past we only saw Arians break out that style of play when the Steelers were down or really struggling. This time they brought it out when we had a lead in the game too.

Draft Pick
    Is it just about being physical though? Some fans seem to think the offense must revolve around the running game, and that you cannot pass until you establish said running game. The offense must revolve around its QB and WRs, not Redman, Dwyer, or even Mendenhall. Those guys need to be complementary to the offense's main weapons. Don't handicap the offense because of an outdated mentality.

Thread Information