Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison returning vs. Jets???

Bookmark and Share

Harrison returning vs. Jets???

Pittsburgh Steelers four-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison will play in the team's home opener against the New York Jets on Sunday, according to a report.

Harrison, who sat out the entire preseason and the team's Week 1 loss to theDenver Broncos with a left knee injury, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday that he will return for this weekend's game.

Coach Mike Tomlin had indicated earlier this week that Harrison, who underwent a minor procedure on the knee last month, had a chance to play against the Jets.

The 34-year-old Harrison has grown frustrated by lingering knee issues and has grown so tiresome of the subject he's promised to address it only one day a week during the season.

Harrison called himself a "game-time decision" before the Broncos game, but could only watch from the sideline in a yellow T-shirt and black shorts as the Steelers lost in Denver for the second time in nine months.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8374324/pittsburgh-steelers-linebacker-james-harrison-says-play
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-14-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Badly needed.

Pass rush is sad. Yet, The old man continues to sit in zones allowing every WR and his grandmother to catch balls in front of the CB's.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

He said he'd play... And then didn't practice. Who knows.

Harrison returning vs. Jets

Here's where I have a problem with Tomlin, these vets get all kinds of time off (not so much referring to 92) during the week then they go and peter out. Work their asses off during practice if they can't make it then how in the hell will they make it through game day???
    "Happy Happy Happy"

His body again did not match the promises that outside linebacker James Harrison continued to issue.

At noon Thursday, he said, "I'm great, I'm full go, I'm playing on Sunday. Run it." He added, "I've been known to lie."

And then Harrison did not run at all and did not step foot on the practice field. He missed his fourth consecutive practice sandwiched around a missed season opener.

Instead of full-go, Harrison looks like a no-go again Sunday when the Steelers play the New York Jets at Heinz Field. And it's possible the No. 1 defense from last season will face the No. 1 scoring offense after the first week of this season without two former NFL defensive players of the year.

Troy Polamalu, who has a calf injury, also did not practice for the second day in a row. Coach Mike Tomlin was optimistic Tuesday that at least the veteran safety would play, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau did not sound that way after practice Thursday.

"James is the player of the year a few years ago, so you know he's a great player. But we've played without him and Troy, who won the [defensive] MVP award. We've played without him. Our guys know what's required of them -- they have to step up and fill the vacancy and push on. We miss those guys, we'll be happy when we get them back, but it should never be a factor in who wins the game."

Except there's a reason those two annually make the Pro Bowl in addition to Harrison's choice as the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year and the same award going to Polamalu in '10. The Steelers went to the Super Bowl both seasons.

Harrison missed five games last season, and the Steelers won four of them. He only missed one other game since he became their starting right outside linebacker in '07, and that was a meaningless '08 season finale in Cleveland.

Teammates said it is driving him up a wall, not to mention what it could do to the pass rush.

"He's not a happy camper," linebacker Larry Foote said.

"I can't imagine how much it's bothering him," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "I think he thought he would be back by now, so I think that's making it a lot tougher on him."

Harrison had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Aug. 15 to remove some pieces of the meniscus that was causing it to swell. The problem goes back to spring drills, most of which Harrison missed. He began training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list and, when the swelling continued, they acted. Few thought he would not be ready for the opener, never mind the first two games.

"I know it's tearing him up," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "But he has to do what he has to do. I'm sure when he comes back he'll be ready. You just have to wait, you can't rush anything."

That's about how the Steelers play without Harrison; they cannot rush anything. They sacked Peyton Manning twice in the first quarter in Denver, and then not again. They had just 35 sacks last season with Harrison missing five games and fellow outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley nearly half the season. Those two accounted for more than half the team's sacks with nine each.

"The numbers speak for themselves," Foote said. "His presence, his leadership, and we know pound for pound he's probably one of the strongest guys in the NFL and his is a physical, strong game."

And one that appears won't be seen again Sunday. Chris Carter is expected to make his second start in Harrison's place.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    He said he'd play... And then didn't practice. Who knows.
    That's why I didn't comment, and just posted the link. I kind of feel like it's just talk, but we'll see.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Steel City Mafia # 632
    This is getting old with 92, Hasn't played ball in like 9 months and still not healthy enough to play? You have running backs coming back from ACL injuries already. Love Harrison but this is getting frustrating

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Today is the deciding factor, if he doesn't practice today he won't play on Sunday.

This whole stupid scenario could have been avoided if he would have had that damn surgery back in June instead of waiting until training camp!!

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Harrison returning vs. Jets???

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Today is the deciding factor, if he doesn't practice today he won't play on Sunday.

This whole stupid scenario could have been avoided if he would have had that damn surgery back in June instead of waiting until training camp!!
    I thought I read that this was something different than what was bothering him in June. I am not 100% sure though.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    All I know is that we need a pass rush. With no Harrison, we will see Mark Sanchez sitting back in the pocket knitting baby booties while waiting for Stephen Hill to get open.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information