Thread: I know its early, but next years defense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Impatient

I know its early, but next years defense

With the probability of Harrison playing this Sunday not good, and the thought that Troy may not play, I was thinking about next year. The Free Agents next year on defense are Lewis, W. Allen, Foote, Hampton and Mundy are unrestricted, with McLendon and Sylvester being restricted. Then you have Troy and Harrison taking up 1/6 of the cap room combined with injury issues. So who do you resign or attempt to, who do you let walk?

I would resign Foote to help with ILB's Spence and Slyvester's development. I would try and resign Lewis for cheap, if he has a good year. I would tender the restricted guys, and that would be it. If Worilds or Carter have a decent year, I would let Harrison go, Clark's cap hit gets pretty big next year, I would consider letting him go and move Lewis or Allen to FS.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    I've been talking about next year's defense since before this past years draft. Clearly it will be a heavily defensive draft. We need a playmaker, first and foremost. Hopefully that will be an OLB or a S. We need Harrison's replacement and Troy's replacement (this is supposed to be a deep S draft too.) We should be looking to play them immediately. I don't expect them to start, but they should be getting 5-7 plays a game or so, just to get some reps and learn to get better.

We should also look for a good solid player in free agency. Either a corner, safety or LB. We cannot ignore free agency forever and expect to contend. We went out and got Farrior and Ryan Clark at one time. We need another signing like that. Even if we need to let someone go to free the money, we need to look into that.

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Have to start with DL and DB's for next year. I know they wont do this, but let all those guys go with the exception of Sylvester and McLendon.

John Jenkins from Georgia is an animal and a perfect 34 NT or 43 DT. I do believe that the 43 is where we need to move toward. Guys like Woodley and Timmons are better suited for a 43 defense. Woodley as a DE and Timmons as a Will Backer

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by MySteelerNation View Post
    Have to start with DL and DB's for next year. I know they wont do this, but let all those guys go with the exception of Sylvester and McLendon.

John Jenkins from Georgia is an animal and a perfect 34 NT or 43 DT. I do believe that the 43 is where we need to move toward. Guys like Woodley and Timmons are better suited for a 43 defense. Woodley as a DE and Timmons as a Will Backer
    You have to cannot convince me the Lamarr Woodley is a better pass rusher with his hand in the dirt he was a Defensive end in College but was too small to play end in the NFL that's why 3-4 teams take the lighter ends cause they are really OLB'S .SINCE 2001 AT LEAST 1 3-4 TEAM HAS BEN IN THE TOP 5 AND THE STEELERS HAVE BEEN #1 5 TIMES IN TEN YEAR ,they don't need to change anything they need to play better

I know its early, but next years defense

Right now we have NO studs or stand out players on defense, they're all flat!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    It's only week 3 we are just getting in shape and in sync we will be fine eveyone get healty on the bye week and we will be an entirely different team. Mendenhall in the back field with a fullback. Harrison and Polamalu WILL BE READYplus Stevenson Sylvester. the only thing that is puzzling is Kelvin Beachum Ryan Lee had a much better Preseason .DOUG LEGURSKY IS PUZZLING TOO THESE GUYS ARE HORRIBLE.

Thread Information