Thread: The importance of avoiding an 0-2 start in the NFL - Lamarr Woodley agrees

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Lightbulb The importance of avoiding an 0-2 start in the NFL - Lamarr Woodley agrees

I'm not one who's jumping off a bridge by any means, but starting 0-2 is not exactly the best case scenario for any team in the league. History shows the following as pointed out in this ESPN article today..

"And we won’t be 0-2," Woodley told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Every week the mindset is to go out there and win a football game, and not start the season off bad. So far we’re 0-1, and we’ll manage to not go 0-2."

It's hardly a revelation that the Steelers want to avoid an 0-2 start, but you can pick up the sense of urgency. And rightfully so. According to ESPN Stats & Information, just 12 percent of teams to start a season 0-2 (22-184) have reached the playoffs since the playoffs expanded to 12 teams in 1990.

That being said, the Steelers did make the playoffs the last time they started off 0-2. In 2002, after falling to New England and Oakland, Pittsburgh won five of its last six games to win the AFC North and advance to the divisional playoffs, where it lost at Tennessee in overtime.

The Steelers, who face the New York Jets on Sunday, are one of only three teams that hasn't started 0-2 since 2003. The Broncos and Patriots are the others.

The Steelers, who face the New York Jets on Sunday, are one of only three teams that hasn't started 0-2 since 2003. The Broncos and Patriots are the others.
    i never would have guessed that.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Draft Pick
    Getting off to a faster start is the key. With Revis covering Wallace and the guy with a bunch of unknown kids covering Brown, Sanders, Miller, and Cotchery need to have a big game.

And no more of that run, run, pass crap please. Mix it up a bit.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Some people seem to think that Woodley is trash talking with this statement. I don't get it, it's hardly trash talk but then again the media will jump at anything for a story.

What else would we expect him to say?

As far as the 0-2 start, there's no way you start out in that kind of hole and expect to climb out of it without some help. Now if they do but the rest of the AFC North falters then things aren't quite as bad but I'd rather now be looking at that scenario.

Draft Pick
    0-1-1

The concern about Harrison is obviously well justified given how long he has been on the shelf. Polamalu missed many practices last season only to be on the field come the day of the game, so we’re a bit less convinced that he will be out of the lineup as the Steelers try to make good on linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s guarantee of a tie or victory.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-steelers/

Gotta love how the media twists things.

he's right! but he may have to go out there and get more then 1 solo tackle for that to happen..

Thread Information