Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brandon Stokley says Steelers defense was predictable

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Hey that's how it goes everyone has there kryptonite!

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been in transition for acouple of years now but we are still a contender
    The Steelers D is old and slow and none of the past draft picks have been able to step up! This is the problem with drafting late. The double edge sword of being a constant contender has bit us in the ***!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    The Steelers D is old and slow and none of the past draft picks have been able to step up! This is the problem with drafting late. The double edge sword of being a constant contender has bit us in the ***!!
    Is it old and slow? Or is it about scheme and matchups? Old and slow is starting to become the lazy man's analysis on the Steelers defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Is it old and slow? Or is it about scheme and matchups? Old and slow is starting to become the lazy man's analysis on the Steelers defense.
    My wife always calls me lazy.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    Actually connecticutsteel, yes other teams have stopped Peyton Manning. Look at his playoff record. Some of us are upset with LeBeau because he tries the same thing against guys like Manning and Brady (except in 2011) and expects different results. I also love how you say Ben's at fault because he didn't bail the team out at the end of the game, but make an excuse for the defense when Flacco went 92 yards. DON'T LOOK OVER HERE, LOOK OVER THERE!

Over the past 3 or 4 seasons this defense, while it was in the top 5, was far from perfect. Too many fourth quarter leads blown. A lack of in-game adjustments when it's obvious the original game plan was failing (Denver in the Wild Card game). I know the typical response: "But Arians sucked more!" Well no one here is kissing his ***, we're just holding LeBeau to a similar standard.

What you have to understand is a team can be successful playing a certain way for a while and even win a few super bowls. That doesn't mean that style of play will be successful forever. Other teams will study and find a weakness in your style, and when they do, it's time to adapt. LeBeau's defense was the best in 2008, but since then other teams have caught on and found weaknessess in it to exploit. As DC, it's his job to make those adjustments and play to the strengths of his players.
    FIRST OFF I NEVER LIKED ARIANS.Secondly i never made an excuse for the defense on the Flacco drive i said you win some you lose some that's far from an excuse.If you read what i said it says almost every defense .it's my opinion,you have your opinion.that's the spirit of these boards no need for put downs.I can tell you like Ben by your screen name i like ben too but even he took the blame for the loss and one last question just how many points is the defense allowed to give up cause 25 isn't a lot

old and slow the average age of the defense is 26 that's not old
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 09-14-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    FIRST OFF I NEVER LIKED ARIANS.Secondly i never made an excuse for the defense on the Flacco drive i said you win some you lose some that's far from an excuse.If you read what i said it says almost every defense .it's my opinion,you have your opinion.that's the spirit of these boards no need for put downs.I can tell you like Ben by your screen name i like ben too but even he took the blame for the loss and one last question just how many points is the defense allowed to give up cause 25 isn't a lot

old and slow the average age of the defense is 26 that's not old
    And if you're only hope on offense is having Ben bail you out in the last minute, then you win some and lose some. Lost one on sunday night, won a lot before.

No Harrison, and probably no Troy for the Jets game. LeBeau tends to coach scared and less aggressively when Troy's out. This defense is shot right now. The offense needs to get off to a faster start. They need to establish Ben early on and not one of the RBs. They need to let him win early so he doesn't have to bail the team out in the end.

LeBesu is too old yo coach... I realize this may make people upset, but it is evident so far...
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

Are we too predictable on defense, or was it just that Manning is Manning and leave it at that?
    The schemes used are bland, overused and/or too passive. Lebeau has done well, but in my opinion he has become complacent in his calls. It's time for some fresh, aggressive coaching. Do not expect much in the game against the Jets. The Steelers will rarely blitz, if at all. Expect to see the CBs 8 to 10 yards off the scrimmage. The offense needs to come up big.

Waterboy
    Also, is the talent really there? Have the Steelers done well in replenishing players from the Cowher era? Has anyone been impressed with Hood, Timmons, Heyward etc...? I won't bring up Woodley because people are way too sensitive about him.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Actually connecticutsteel, yes other teams have stopped Peyton Manning. Look at his playoff record. Some of us are upset with LeBeau because he tries the same thing against guys like Manning and Brady (except in 2011) and expects different results. I also love how you say Ben's at fault because he didn't bail the team out at the end of the game, but make an excuse for the defense when Flacco went 92 yards. DON'T LOOK OVER HERE, LOOK OVER THERE!

Over the past 3 or 4 seasons this defense, while it was in the top 5, was far from perfect. Too many fourth quarter leads blown. A lack of in-game adjustments when it's obvious the original game plan was failing (Denver in the Wild Card game). I know the typical response: "But Arians sucked more!" Well no one here is kissing his ***, we're just holding LeBeau to a similar standard.

What you have to understand is a team can be successful playing a certain way for a while and even win a few super bowls. That doesn't mean that style of play will be successful forever. Other teams will study and find a weakness in your style, and when they do, it's time to adapt. LeBeau's defense was the best in 2008, but since then other teams have caught on and found weaknessess in it to exploit. As DC, it's his job to make those adjustments and play to the strengths of his players.
    great post.

I want LeBeau gone, because if he is here, it's going to be the same schemes.

2nd String
    I always feel that after that win, the Steelers have thrived on winning by messing up just a little less than the other team. Think about all of our division games with teams like the Browns and Bengals over the years. We never handle them like we should. Games against teams like the Ravens often come down to a single mistake, but common' the Browns and Bengals? I can only recall a handful of games where the Steelers fully handled a team they should have. I think it is the consensus here this team should be scoring 30 points a game, regardless of the opposing D. I am beginning to be convinced that the key to beating the Steelers is just don't make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    Arizona wasn't garbage that year, they were actually pretty talented on both sides of the ball in 2008. Hence they made it to the Super Bowl...

But yes, I see your point and there really isn't an excuse to give up that kind of lead when you're the #1 D in the NFL. And yes, it has been a disturbing trend ever since.

Thread Information