Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Stokley says Steelers defense was predictable

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Our defense has been predictable for the past 3 seasons. I ready for a new DC, not saying DL is bad, just need new schemes
    Maybe so. But Tomlin should also be stepping up and telling LeBeau to adjust when something isn't working. After all, he is LeBeau's boss.

We've become accustomed to our defense digging us out of holes, holding the opposition to minus 20 points and winning us the vast majority of our games . . .

that mindset is going to have to change, . . . our stars are fading, the new talent just isn't as good, drafting low down in the draft order you don't find too many studs...

The offense has a lot of potential and i'ts the offenses time to step up and do what the defense has done for so long, get us wins, trouble is the offense is new, and the o'line is a work in progress still, there are signs of life on offense, it needs to kick ingto gear quickly because this defense is not going to win us many games this year.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    For me I started noticing a drop off in the SB against AZ.. been going down hill since.
    Same here.

After leading the Cardinals 20-7 through the first 3 quarters, and having the game practically won, the defense began its downward spiral. That shouldn't happen, especially to garbage teams like Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Forged in Steel View Post
    After leading the Cardinals 20-7 through the first 3 quarters, and having the game practically won, the defense began its downward spiral. That shouldn't happen, especially to garbage teams like Arizona.
    Arizona wasn't garbage that year, they were actually pretty talented on both sides of the ball in 2008. Hence they made it to the Super Bowl...

But yes, I see your point and there really isn't an excuse to give up that kind of lead when you're the #1 D in the NFL. And yes, it has been a disturbing trend ever since.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Maybe so. But Tomlin should also be stepping up and telling LeBeau to adjust when something isn't working. After all, he is LeBeau's boss.
    We said this about BA for years! It's not gonna happen, it's not his M.O.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    Arizona wasn't garbage that year, they were actually pretty talented on both sides of the ball in 2008. Hence they made it to the Super Bowl...

But yes, I see your point and there really isn't an excuse to give up that kind of lead when you're the #1 D in the NFL. And yes, it has been a disturbing trend ever since.
    Fourth quarter leads have been a problem for the defense ever since. Yes, there were times the offense may have put them in a bad position, but there are other times when there was just no excuse - like letting Flacco go 92 yards for a game-winning TD.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    Connecticutsteel, do you understand that Peyton Manning led three consecutive 80-yard drives after the offense possessed the ball for long periods of time? Ben didn't have his greatest game, but to put the loss all on his feet shows a lot of ignorance. But I guess some fans still see LeBeau as Teflon. Remember yinzer nation, it's okay to rip the OC apart, but don't you dare day anything about LeBeau. Don't look over here, look over there!
    I am not opposed to blaming anyone including LeBeau let's face facts 7with7 Peyton Manning has multiple 80 yrd drives on almost every defense. The bottom line is does anyone really stop Peyton Manning .Look of course LeBeau bears some blame but not all the blame. It was a winable game until the pick six. So if i don't think that Le beau all of a sudden forgot how to coach or game plan i'm ignorant hmmmm i don't think so .I assign blame without prejudice .

It's funny how DL has had a top 5 defense for 10 years but he's out of touch he doesn't understand the new NFL that is complete udder rubbish.

I love how you say They let Flacco drive 92 yds ummm it's called the offense adjusting to the defense and the defense ajusting too late you can't win them all .I have an idea walk up to James Harrison and say "why did you let Joe Flacco drive 92 yds " I'm 100% sure he would say he didn't let him do it.That is if he didn't laugh first.
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 09-14-2012 at 11:06 AM.

The other guy for the Bronco's carved up this same D last year, it's not just Manning!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    Hey that's how it goes everyone has there kryptonite!

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been in transition for acouple of years now but we are still a contender
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 09-14-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I am not opposed to blaming anyone including LeBeau let's face facts 7with7 Peyton Manning has multiple 80 yrd drives on almost every defense. The bottom line is does anyone really stop Peyton Manning .Look of course LeBeau bears some blame but not all the blame. It was a winable game until the pick six. So if i don't think that Le beau all of a sudden forgot how to coach or game plan i'm ignorant hmmmm i don't think so .I assign blame without prejudice .

It's funny how DL has had a top 5 defense for 10 years but he's out of touch he doesn't understand the new NFL that is complete udder rubbish.

I love how you say They let Flacco drive 92 yds ummm it's called the offense adjusting to the defense and the defense ajusting too late you can't win them all .I have an idea walk up to James Harrison and say "why did you let Joe Flacco drive 92 yds " I'm 100% sure he would say he didn't let him do it.That is if he didn't laugh first.
    Actually connecticutsteel, yes other teams have stopped Peyton Manning. Look at his playoff record. Some of us are upset with LeBeau because he tries the same thing against guys like Manning and Brady (except in 2011) and expects different results. I also love how you say Ben's at fault because he didn't bail the team out at the end of the game, but make an excuse for the defense when Flacco went 92 yards. DON'T LOOK OVER HERE, LOOK OVER THERE!

Over the past 3 or 4 seasons this defense, while it was in the top 5, was far from perfect. Too many fourth quarter leads blown. A lack of in-game adjustments when it's obvious the original game plan was failing (Denver in the Wild Card game). I know the typical response: "But Arians sucked more!" Well no one here is kissing his ***, we're just holding LeBeau to a similar standard.

What you have to understand is a team can be successful playing a certain way for a while and even win a few super bowls. That doesn't mean that style of play will be successful forever. Other teams will study and find a weakness in your style, and when they do, it's time to adapt. LeBeau's defense was the best in 2008, but since then other teams have caught on and found weaknessess in it to exploit. As DC, it's his job to make those adjustments and play to the strengths of his players.

Thread Information