Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keys to victory for week 2

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Foster and Gilbert will be in the game. So they need to run the ball. Running the ball will make everything else work on offense and defense. Yes..defense.

If our offense can run the ball, dominate time of possession, that puts more pressure on Sanchez to have to maximize his offensive possessions against our defense. Keeping our defense fresh and allowing us to put pressure on Sanchez.
    No offense, but with that kind of outdated mentality the Steelers will be an 8-8 team. In Denver the Steelers wasted early opportunities trying to stubbornly establish a running game when they should have been establishing Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, and Heath Miller. Remember the turnover in the first half that set the Steelers up at mid-field? Run, run, sack on 3rd and long, punt away! They were too conservative and very predictable.

Did you notice the Broncos out-rushed the Steelers? Know why? Because they weren't stubbornly trying to pound away when it wasn't working. They unleashed their primary weapon, Manning, and mixed in running plays during the no-huddle when the Steelers were too gassed to stop them. The Steelers didn't do that. Instead of trying to win, they were trying to please the spirit of the late Art Rooney Sr. by stubbornly running on the first two downs, then needing Ben to bail them out on 3rd & long.

The Steelers need to get off to a fast start. Unleash Ben early and often with no-huddle. Mix in running plays to keep the Jets defense off-balance. Then at the end of the game instead of Ben needing to make a comeback drive, maybe instead we'll see that Stiller running game milking the clock.

As for how much rest the defense gets, that's not the offense's problem. The offense's main priority is to SCORE TOUCHDOWNS! It's not a possession league anymore, it's a scoring league. Don't believe me? Look at what the Broncos did with less possession time. Look over the last 8 years at what the Patriots have done to the Steelers with less possession time. Perhaps it's time the Steelers turn a corner and enter into the new NFL.

Keys to victory for week 2

Quote Originally Posted by Get7With7 View Post
    No offense, but with that kind of outdated mentality the Steelers will be an 8-8 team. In Denver the Steelers wasted early opportunities trying to stubbornly establish a running game when they should have been establishing Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, and Heath Miller. Remember the turnover in the first half that set the Steelers up at mid-field? Run, run, sack on 3rd and long, punt away! They were too conservative and very predictable.

Did you notice the Broncos out-rushed the Steelers? Know why? Because they weren't stubbornly trying to pound away when it wasn't working. They unleashed their primary weapon, Manning, and mixed in running plays during the no-huddle when the Steelers were too gassed to stop them. The Steelers didn't do that. Instead of trying to win, they were trying to please the spirit of the late Art Rooney Sr. by stubbornly running on the first two downs, then needing Ben to bail them out on 3rd & long.

The Steelers need to get off to a fast start. Unleash Ben early and often with no-huddle. Mix in running plays to keep the Jets defense off-balance. Then at the end of the game instead of Ben needing to make a comeback drive, maybe instead we'll see that Stiller running game milking the clock.

As for how much rest the defense gets, that's not the offense's problem. The offense's main priority is to SCORE TOUCHDOWNS! It's not a possession league anymore, it's a scoring league. Don't believe me? Look at what the Broncos did with less possession time. Look over the last 8 years at what the Patriots have done to the Steelers with less possession time. Perhaps it's time the Steelers turn a corner and enter into the new NFL.
    I love this!! Good post!

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    Depends on Revis's health...is he cleared from his concussion? Even if he does eliminate Wallace, hopefully Brown and Sanders can step up. I also expect another big night for Heath.
    The jets coverage accross the middle has improved this year with Bell and Landry....Revis should be ok for Sunday......Is Harrison playing ?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream View Post
    The jets coverage accross the middle has improved this year with Bell and Landry....Revis should be ok for Sunday......Is Harrison playing ?
    I'd say no on Harrison..

Waterboy
    Hey all,

Friendly Jets fan (I'm sure you're skeptical) here just to talk about this week's upcoming pigskin match. I typically don't like Steelers week, at least lately, because the Jets offense usually doesn't match up well against the Steelers D. Either way, I'm here and would like to hear what some of you have to say about this weeks matchup, all homerism aside of course.

Steelers

Where the Steelers have the edge: I think the combination of the Steelers defensive scheme, and playmakers like Woodley, Harrison, and Polamalu are what make me nervous. I read before here that someone mentioned Sanchez is either on fire, or cold as ice. This couldn't be more accurate, as consistency has always been his issue. He's incredibly streaky. It wil depend greatly on the protection of Sanchez. The quickest way to get him flustered and rattled is to hit him a few times. If his jersey is clean, he will probably hit his mark. I find his jersey is usually covered with grass stains and mud every time the Steelers come to town (or vice versa)

Where the Steelers are in trouble: Offensive line protection is going to be a big problem. Luckily you have a QB who can stand tall in the pocket, but that can be both a blessing and a curse. More long completions down the field after QB/WR improvisations, but can also lead to Big Ben getting hit from behind as he tries to throw; I know we've all seen that a few times over. The O-Line is thin with the injuries it's taken. As a big DDC fan, I wanted to see him have success with this team. It doesn't look like the O-line issues went away, judging from the 5 sack performance, so I think the Jets front of Wilkerson, Pouha, Coples, Pace, Maybin will be getting to Ben a lot on Sunday. The question is, can they bring him down before one of your speedy WR's get open?

Jets

Where the Jets have the edge: There are not too many, but if anywhere it's in the secondary vs your WRs. I think you will see Revis match up against Antonio Brown, and sadly will neutralize him for the most part. That leaves Cromartie on Wallace. Cromartie covering Wallace makes the most sense as he is a long strider and may be the best suited to recover if Wallace gets behind him, although Wallace would likely have a slight edge in the foot race. You don't see Cromartie getting beat deep often. Cromartie will get beat often if you see him giving Wallace a cushion instead of getting physical with the press; I suspect Wallace will have a good day if that is the case.

Where the Jets are in trouble: Mario Williams may have gotten owned last year, but this complex blitzing defense may have Austin Howard's head spinning. I suspect that he will give up a sack or two, and Sanchez will start forcing passes. Hopefully he's not too beaten and battered, otherwise you have him right where you want him.....which is trigger happy and ready to throw a game-changing pick-6. I've seen it many a time.....

-------

Just looking to engage in some friendly discussion. If you want to throw out predictions too that's fine, but as an opposing fan, we often don't get to hear the other perspective. You know your teams much better, so I'd like to hear what you guys think about this upcoming battle.

If you so wish to hear more from Jets fans (of the intelligent variety, not the homeristic trolls that irritate the hell of our everyone), I'd avoid the larger messageboards that allow their inmate to run the asylum (JI, TGG). Those sites are littered with garbage and typically you spend hours sifting through the trash to find one treasure. I'd suggest coming to a smaller (newer) jets board called youdontknowfootball. You're opinions there would be appreciated, and we'd welcome opposing fans if they come in respectfully. If not, Im still happy to engage you all here.

My Mood
    Manic
    Ben won't get much pressure for the d-line the pressure will come from the lb's

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think the Steelers matchup between Wallace, Brown, and Sanders vs Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson or Lankster will be fun to watch. I fully expect both Wallace and Brown to win some battles and lose some battles on Sunday. I don't think either will be completely taken out of the game. Ben will test Wallace out early on an intermediate or deep pass and see how Revis or Cromartie reacts to it. If he converts that play then you'll see him come back to Wallace more. If they don't complete it then that could signal a day where Wallace doesn't have many yards.

Brown vs Revis, if that one pans out as the normal way that the Jets go then I expect Brown to have a tough time but still be able to make some plays. There's a reason that Revis is the best in the business right now.

Sanders could be the one to have a big day this week in the passing game, he and Heath Miller.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I think the Steelers matchup between Wallace, Brown, and Sanders vs Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson or Lankster will be fun to watch. I fully expect both Wallace and Brown to win some battles and lose some battles on Sunday. I don't think either will be completely taken out of the game. Ben will test Wallace out early on an intermediate or deep pass and see how Revis or Cromartie reacts to it. If he converts that play then you'll see him come back to Wallace more. If they don't complete it then that could signal a day where Wallace doesn't have many yards.

Brown vs Revis, if that one pans out as the normal way that the Jets go then I expect Brown to have a tough time but still be able to make some plays. There's a reason that Revis is the best in the business right now.

Sanders could be the one to have a big day this week in the passing game, he and Heath Miller.
    I completely left out Heath Miller. He might be the wildcard here, but I expect him to be kept in to block a little more than usual to make up for the OLine. He can kill the Jets in the RZ, the Jets LBs are pretty subpar in coverage.

I don't expect who ever Revis is being covered by to have much to do with the game. Big Ben is smart enough to not test him too often. Whoever is in the slot or being covered by Cromartie will likely have the bulk of receiving yards.

I have a feeling they're gonna test Revis, which may or may not be a bad idea..

Draft Pick
    This is from Mark Kaboly. Pretty much goes with my earlier post:

Haley needs to adjust

It's one thing to have a balanced attack, but when you have a quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger, you have to put the ball in his hands at all times. And, eventually, Todd Haley is going to realize that. Haley tried to establish a run game early on with Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman against the Broncos and did well putting together long and time-consuming drives. But those drives didn't take advantage of the best athletes on the team -- Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Until Haley comes to the realization that Roethlisberger playing pickup-style ball is the best way to go, the offense is going to put up 19-point efforts.

Thread Information