Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainey vs Antonio Brown in return game

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Rainey vs Antonio Brown in return game

Mike Tomlin did mention the fact that while Rainey is listed on the depth chart as the primary returner, he's not exactly comfortable with him in that role just yet. If you noticed, Rainey wasn't in any situations where the ball was potentially going to be kicked inside the 10 yd and he would have to field it in a smaller area than if it were being punted from say the opponents 20 yd line. I bet we'll continue to see Antonio Brown field those types of punts and let Rainey continue to work more in on the kickoff return game.

He was itching to come out on those kickoffs though wasn't he? LOL, you could see him just chomping at the bit to try and his hands on the ball and take off.

he was pissed at the up man for telling him to stay and then he was pissed they called him out of bounds, the man just wants to run lol

He almost did! lol

I like AB but would like to see Rainey get a shot! Why does Rainey's facemask sit so high up on his face?

My Mood
    Addicted
    AB is by far a better returner but putting him in the return game and increasing the chance of injury I am not a fan of.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    AB is by far a better returner but putting him in the return game and increasing the chance of injury I am not a fan of.
    There's no way anyone can say that "AB is by far the better returner"... Chris Rainey could be the best return man in the game for all we know... What I'm saying is, let the man return a few before you write him off lol.

I would bet a ton of money that if Tomlin stopped being such a pussy and let Rainey be the primary returner, that he would take at least a few back this year. The man is unbelievable in open space. He's faster than Antonio, quicker than Antonio, has better balance than Antonio, and his vision in the open field is fantastic... Just give the man a chance.

Keeping Rainey in kick returns only would be a HUGE mistake. Like Hester, he can be a good kick return guy, maybe even break one here and there, but punt returning is where he'll make his money...

Draft Pick
    He sure did want to get out there, but that is what makes me nervous. Primarily you don't want to try and take every return that is 8-9.9 yards deep and try to take it to the house. Returns, like most every other play need to be be handled as the situation merits at that time in the game, so I'd like to see someone work with Rainey to try and help him understand when returns are more advantageous.

That being said I have absolutely no problem letting him take over the return duties. AB will stay fresher, have less chance of injury, and if after a few weeks we discover Rainey isn't exactly blowing it up we could always use AB as the returner as necessary when the game calls for it in more specialized situations.

any other team would have had him in from the outset after what Rainey accomplished in that final pre-season game . . .

NO, . . not Tomlin, he hates rookies!! Ridiculous!!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Rainey will get his chances but I'm betting that Tomlin just doesn't have the confidence in him yet to return kicks that close to the goal line. I'm ok with AB returning punts and Rainey doing kicks for the time being. Now that we are out of Denver you won't have them sailing into the stands all the time.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    There was no chance for a return in the Denver game but I'm betting Rainey gets a shot or two come Sunday.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    There's no way anyone can say that "AB is by far the better returner"... Chris Rainey could be the best return man in the game for all we know... What I'm saying is, let the man return a few before you write him off lol.
    Speaking from what I saw in the preaseason. Rainey seems to have good vision but you just can't beat the speed that Brown brings in the return game.

That being said, I would also rather not have Brown returning kicks. Special teams isn't important enough to risk injury over.

Thread Information