Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts on the Game

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

My Thoughts on the Game

If Ben had the same kind of time that Manning did, the score would be 31-19 Steelers.
    Steelers tried to address Oline with draft picks. Great long term strategy. But Steelers needed key Oline vets for the short term. They failed to do that.
    The Steelers looked better than last years opening loss, 35-7 against the Ravens
    LeBeau tried not to give up the big play. But he gave up the big play. The book on Manning, mainly written by the Patriots, is to pressure him. The Steelers gave up on the pressure after the 1st half. Manning took the Steelers secondary apart. Great QB's will do that.
    Steelers had too many key players out, DeCastro, Harrison, Clark, Gilbert, Foster.
    Worlids looked fast. Why not unleash him more?
    The defense looked like they succumbed to the altitude while playing only 3 quarters. Is the D as flabby as the head coach?
    The Steelers were not looking for revenge. Why not? Is the coach losing his intensity as the fat accumulates?
    Haley is a fraud. He's worse than Arians. Poor game plan. Poor adjustments. Poor 4th quarter play calling. He waits until the 4th quarter to go deep. Hey, Haley, if you want to run the ball, you've got to set it up with the deep pass. Watch how Fox set up the run and sliced and diced the Steelers in the 4th.
    What happened to those quick passes to Rainey in the flat?
    A two or even three tight end set might be a good option. Check Pats gameplan.
    Peyton Manning is very good.
    Bronco's line is good.
    Porter is very good.
    Steelers receivers are very good.
    One game out of 16, big deal.
    It's not how you start the season, but how you end it. The Steelers have a lot of room to improve.

Dwyer is better than Redman or he wants to play more.

I've followed this blog for years:

Monday, September 10, 2012
    Post-Denver thoughts

Sunday's game was about missed opportunities for the Steelers.

The Steelers recovered a fumble in the first quarter at the Denver 47, made a first down and then punted from the Denver 45.

You have to turn that into some points.

If the Steelers at least get a field goal there, they go into the half up 13-7 and have the ball to open the third quarter.

That changes the entire complexion of the game.

@ Through three quarters, Ben Roethlisberger was 10 of 11 for 129 yards on third downs and the Steelers converted 10 of 16 third downs.

Roethlisberger converted his first third down in the fourth quarter - a 3-yard TD pass to Mike Wallace - but then missed Heath Miller on third-and-three on his next attempt, giving the ball back to the Broncos.

That allowed Peyton Manning and company to eat up a bunch of clock on a field goal drive.

When you're playing a future Hall of Fame quarterback on the road, you've got to be nearly perfect. Roethlisberger was just short of that on third downs.

@ I thought it was a curious decision that Casey Hampton got so much playing time over Steve McLendon.

Not that Hampton necessarily played poorly, but McLendon is more of a pass rusher than Hampton, who had barely played in the preseason.

Speaking of pass rush, where was it? Larry Foote had a sack and a couple of QB hits and Jason Worilds had a sack and hit, but that was it.

Nothing from anyone else.

Peyton Manning completed just one pass more than 20 yards down the field, so they were getting the ball out quickly. But how about knocking a ball or two down at the line of scrimmage?

@ The Steelers gambled with their offensive line, keeping just eight healthy guys and going into Sunday's game with just seven guys active.

Ramon Foster got poked in the eye and was unable to return, while Marcus Gilbert suffered a hyperextended knee.

They were one injury away from Heath Miller playing tackle.

@ I've been beating this drum for a while now, but Jonathan Dwyer has got to get the ball more than Isaac Redman.

@ I have no problem with Mike Tomlin challenging Eric Decker's 17-yard catch at the 1. The ball was fumbled through the end zone and the Broncos hurried to the line of scrimmage to run another play before Tomlin or any of his coaches upstairs could see a replay.

If Decker had fumbled out of the end zone, it would have been Pittsburgh ball with a 19-14 lead. It was a risk worth taking.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 2:25 PM 0 Comments Links to this post
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    @ The Steelers gambled with their offensive line, keeping just eight healthy guys and going into Sunday's game with just seven guys active.

This is a problem this year and has been a problem for I don't even know how long. I hate only dressing 7 guys on the OL.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

This is a problem this year and has been a problem for I don't even know how long. I hate only dressing 7 guys on the OL.
    I hate Tomlin's thinking sometimes!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I hate Tomlin's thinking sometimes!
    I love his thinking, I just wished it matched reality. I would love to never need more than 7 O lineman in a game.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Four View Post
    Haley is a fraud. He's worse than Arians. Poor game plan. Poor adjustments. Poor 4th quarter play calling. He waits until the 4th quarter to go deep. Hey, Haley, if you want to run the ball, you've got to set it up with the deep pass.
    I was agreeing with a lot of what you said until I hit this wall.

Haley has a high football I.Q., Arians was the resident dumbass who counted on "rag-tag, sandlot football" as a game strategy.

The first 2 possessions were about settling in and finding a rhythm in a very high energy hostile environment. Had he been able to establish the run in the 1st Qtr., we would have been talking about how great he was that he broke the passing game wide open the rest of the game. Lot's of missed execution left on the field that prevented this. Haley was limited in what he could do in the 2nd half as a result of injuries; a pourous patchwork O-line that was leaking worse than a rusty bucket.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSteelerFan View Post
    I was agreeing with a lot of what you said until I hit this wall.

Haley has a high football I.Q., Arians was the resident dumbass who counted on "rag-tag, sandlot football" as a game strategy.

The first 2 possessions were about settling in and finding a rhythm in a very high energy hostile environment. Had he been able to establish the run in the 1st Qtr., we would have been talking about how great he was that he broke the passing game wide open the rest of the game. Lot's of missed execution left on the field that prevented this. Haley was limited in what he could do in the 2nd half as a result of injuries; a pourous patchwork O-line that was leaking worse than a rusty bucket.

YOu do realize that the only bright spot from last night was Ben's sandlot **** on 3rd down. Under 2 yards per attempt on 1st down? Yeah Haley's a genius.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    YOu do realize that the only bright spot from last night was Ben's sandlot **** on 3rd down. Under 2 yards per attempt on 1st down? Yeah Haley's a genius.
    There was a lot of good that I saw from last night .... you just need to look deeper into the game to see it.

Haley is a very solid upgrade to Arians ... and you'll eventually see why.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSteelerFan View Post

Haley is a very solid upgrade to Arians ... and you'll eventually see why.
    Some only see the final score.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

I understand what most are saying about having more active linemen but they weren't needed against the Broncos. Adams was shaky and Legursky was flat out horrible. Anyone after them would not have been any better.

Manning is a great QB and ran the no huddle like a pro. The defense couldn't handle it, especially without Harrison and Clark. Manning knew how to eliminate Troy's game too.

My biggest dissapointment was the TD Ben missed when Wallace was wide open and the pick 6. Ben had no business throwing that ball whatsoever. He had 3 or 4 other passes that should have been picked off too. If he continues down that road, it's going to be a long season.

Thread Information