Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Haley's offense after week 1?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Thoughts on Haley's offense after week 1?

There were some good things and some not so good things after watching the Steelers unveil the new regular season Todd Haley offense last night.

Good:

No huddle: The Steelers executed this better than I've seen them do so in a long, long time. They weren't afraid to go to it in the middle of the game, not just when they were down in the 4th quarter. Ben was able to get rid of the ball quickly and consistently beat the blitz.

Heath Miller: He was money as usual, 4 catches for 50 yds and the Touchdown in the redzone. He was consistently able to get yards after the catch just like we're used to seeing.

Spreading the ball around: Brown was 4/74, Sanders 4/55, and Wallace was 4/37 yds. Each one was able to make some big plays and draw some personal fouls too for helmet to helmet contact by the defense.

Not so good:

Running game struggled last night, nobody was really able to get on track but if anything Dwyer was fairly effective in both the pass and run game. He had 2 catches for 11 yds and 9 rushes for 43 yds. Redman was just 11 rushes for 20 yds.

You can blame some of that on the offensive line injuries yet again, but either way the Broncos were able to make it largely ineffective for most of the game.

Redzone scoring: Here we go again, settling for Field Goals instead of Touchdowns. That 16 play, 64 yd drive that took almost 9 minutes ended up in just a Suisham Field Goal. You just can't have that type of ineffective output when finishing off drives, especially against Peyton Manning.

I liked the potential overall, and it's just going to take time to perfect.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRg. I'll I can say is that we neeed wooooork. Our out side offensive line men are huge but too slow, any one with quick feet are going to get around them time n time again. Ben is taking oo much time and letting the defense adjust.
    They are watching troy like crazy and already learned that if he's back they can run. Troy needs to be free !!!!!! Unleash him.

The early play calling was dreadful. Those dumbass delayed draws on 2nd and long were annoying, keeping us in 3rd and long. But I will say the play calling later was very good. I'm encouraged by what I saw last night in offense.
    Last edited by Big T; 09-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.

My Mood
    Mellow
    At least with this horrendous O-Line the quick passes will keep BR7 alive a little longer.....I am not concerned with the O as I am the Defense......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    3rd down: 11/19 and countless 3rd and long conversions. That's something that was pretty impressive. Anytime you can get over 50% you're doing something right.

The long conversions though, especially in the 3rd quarter where we held the ball for all but 36 seconds of the quarter, that's something to build on.

Those delayed draws though, man you are right on..I was blowing a gasket thinking what in sam hell are they trying to accomplish. Draws are fine to slow down a pass rush but delayed draws just invite disaster in Pittsburgh.

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    The early play calling was dreadful. Those dumbass delayed draws on 2nd and long were annoying, keeping us in 3rd and long. But I will say the play calling later was very good. I'm encouraged by what I saw last night in offense.
    I have to agree....I was saying alot early on....

Thanks for the sig Flea

Rookie Free Agent
    I was highly encouraged by what we saw last night. I agree that the quick passes are going to add some longevity to Ben's career. Hopefully, with more practice, he can get more accurate and stop throwing to the guys on the other team.

Also not a fan of the delayed draws.

Loved, loved, loved the use of Heath Miller. Hopefully that is something we will be seeing much more of.

Not worried about the redzone performance yet. Should have had a TD when Miller was wide-open in the endzone. Great playcall, poor pass.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Another bad: in the redzone, we're passing it on first and goal at the 3? This where you want to see them lineup and that jumbo formation, man vs man, and pound it in.

I get that you had 2 guys out with injury and the Broncos are crashing the middle of the field so I can't completely blame them. Still though, is it Haley's idea on offense to normally pass down here? Will they try and run more? How much balance will they be able to have with the injuries on the OL.

To add though, I did like some of the new formations we showed. Particularly with Rainey lined up at FB lol

And is it just me or does it look like Heath put on some weight? I mean good weight... Looks like he's been hitting the gym hard. Looks like he added like 10 lbs of muscle...

Redzone struggles were frustrating, but we did great on 3rd down conversions. I thought the recievers looked pretty good too. Once Wallace gets in sync and Mendy comes back, this offense has serious potential.

Defense looked less than average most of the night, and of course the fourth quarter made me punch my own head.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Thread Information