Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Thoughts on Haley's offense after week 1?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

    Thoughts on Haley's offense after week 1?

    There were some good things and some not so good things after watching the Steelers unveil the new regular season Todd Haley offense last night.

    Good:

    No huddle: The Steelers executed this better than I've seen them do so in a long, long time. They weren't afraid to go to it in the middle of the game, not just when they were down in the 4th quarter. Ben was able to get rid of the ball quickly and consistently beat the blitz.

    Heath Miller: He was money as usual, 4 catches for 50 yds and the Touchdown in the redzone. He was consistently able to get yards after the catch just like we're used to seeing.

    Spreading the ball around: Brown was 4/74, Sanders 4/55, and Wallace was 4/37 yds. Each one was able to make some big plays and draw some personal fouls too for helmet to helmet contact by the defense.

    Not so good:

    Running game struggled last night, nobody was really able to get on track but if anything Dwyer was fairly effective in both the pass and run game. He had 2 catches for 11 yds and 9 rushes for 43 yds. Redman was just 11 rushes for 20 yds.

    You can blame some of that on the offensive line injuries yet again, but either way the Broncos were able to make it largely ineffective for most of the game.

    Redzone scoring: Here we go again, settling for Field Goals instead of Touchdowns. That 16 play, 64 yd drive that took almost 9 minutes ended up in just a Suisham Field Goal. You just can't have that type of ineffective output when finishing off drives, especially against Peyton Manning.

    I liked the potential overall, and it's just going to take time to perfect.

  2. #2
    Rookie Free Agent Airbrush1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sweet valley, pa
    Posts
    27
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRg. I'll I can say is that we neeed wooooork. Our out side offensive line men are huge but too slow, any one with quick feet are going to get around them time n time again. Ben is taking oo much time and letting the defense adjust.
    They are watching troy like crazy and already learned that if he's back they can run. Troy needs to be free !!!!!! Unleash him.

  3. #3
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,419
    The early play calling was dreadful. Those dumbass delayed draws on 2nd and long were annoying, keeping us in 3rd and long. But I will say the play calling later was very good. I'm encouraged by what I saw last night in offense.
    Last edited by Big T; 09-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Snake Champion steelersgal86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    painesville, ohio
    Posts
    14,757
    My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    The early play calling was dreadful. Those dumbass delayed draws on 2nd and long were annoying, keeping us in 3rd and long. But I will say the play calling later was very good. I'm encouraged by what I saw last night in offense.
    I have to agree....I was saying alot early on....


    Thanks for the sig Flea

  5. #5
    2nd String FlatsSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    647
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    At least with this horrendous O-Line the quick passes will keep BR7 alive a little longer.....I am not concerned with the O as I am the Defense......

  6. #6
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    3rd down: 11/19 and countless 3rd and long conversions. That's something that was pretty impressive. Anytime you can get over 50% you're doing something right.


    The long conversions though, especially in the 3rd quarter where we held the ball for all but 36 seconds of the quarter, that's something to build on.

    Those delayed draws though, man you are right on..I was blowing a gasket thinking what in sam hell are they trying to accomplish. Draws are fine to slow down a pass rush but delayed draws just invite disaster in Pittsburgh.

  7. #7
    Rookie Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    107
    I was highly encouraged by what we saw last night. I agree that the quick passes are going to add some longevity to Ben's career. Hopefully, with more practice, he can get more accurate and stop throwing to the guys on the other team.

    Also not a fan of the delayed draws.

    Loved, loved, loved the use of Heath Miller. Hopefully that is something we will be seeing much more of.

    Not worried about the redzone performance yet. Should have had a TD when Miller was wide-open in the endzone. Great playcall, poor pass.

  8. #8
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Another bad: in the redzone, we're passing it on first and goal at the 3? This where you want to see them lineup and that jumbo formation, man vs man, and pound it in.


    I get that you had 2 guys out with injury and the Broncos are crashing the middle of the field so I can't completely blame them. Still though, is it Haley's idea on offense to normally pass down here? Will they try and run more? How much balance will they be able to have with the injuries on the OL.

  9. #9
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Another bad: in the redzone, we're passing it on first and goal at the 3? This where you want to see them lineup and that jumbo formation, man vs man, and pound it in.


    I get that you had 2 guys out with injury and the Broncos are crashing the middle of the field so I can't completely blame them. Still though, is it Haley's idea on offense to normally pass down here? Will they try and run more? How much balance will they be able to have with the injuries on the OL.

    Your right. And then after half time, they virtually abandon the run and the score was 14-13. They didn't call a running play until like the 6 play of the drive after half time. I kept wondering what was the panic for? And if they went to Cotchery in the slot, he was open often. We should have won that game. I can't stand the situation with the O-line. I"m tired of the FO not really fixing the O-line. Stupid *** old ways; they could of went out and added an O-lineman from free agency. It's time they learn that using free agency a little bit doesn't hurt. Gzzzzzzzz
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  10. #10
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Your right. And then after half time, they virtually abandon the run and the score was 14-13. They didn't call a running play until like the 6 play of the drive after half time. I kept wondering what was the panic for? And if they went to Cotchery in the slot, he was open often. We should have won that game. I can't stand the situation with the O-line. I"m tired of the FO not really fixing the O-line. Stupid *** old ways; they could of went out and added an O-lineman from free agency. It's time they learn that using free agency a little bit doesn't hurt. Gzzzzzzzz
    2010 - 1st round pick on Offensive line
    2011 - 2nd round pick on Offensive line
    2012 - 1st and 2nd round picks on Offensive line

    It's not like they aren't trying here. I don't see how injuries are the front offices fault. The steelers don't make big moves in free agency. They just don't. It's a bitter realization, but its the truth. And why would they have this offseason anyway? Coming into the season, our line was penciled in as a potential strength. Now due to injury and a rookie who isn't quite ready to take over yet, we have line issues again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 07:55 AM
  2. Thoughts on Ben & the offense
    By weidnerr in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 06:39 AM
  3. Post Draft Roster Thoughts (offense)
    By steelcityrockers in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
  4. Overall thoughts on the offense; play calling
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 01:05 PM
  5. Some thoughts on the offense
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •