Thread: Plans changed: Browns will not recognize Modell

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Horny

Plans changed: Browns will not recognize Modell

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/09/08/1...mp;feedID=3724

The Browns have honored the request of Art Modell's family and decided not to recognize his death prior to Sunday's season opener against the Eagles.

Browns president Mike Holmgren talked with Modell's son David, who asked on behalf of the family that nothing be done in Cleveland. The team's original decision to "appropriately" recognize Modell's death brought strong reaction from some Browns fans still angry at Modell's decision to move the team in 1995.

The team had not planned a moment of silence or tribute to Modell, merely a brief statement of condolence to the Modell family similar to the statement the team released after his death on Thursday.

Every other city in the league will hold a moment of silence or tribute to Modell prior to their openers. But in Cleveland, feelings remain too raw. Letting it go avoids potential expressions of anger the Modells -- and probably the Browns -- would rather not see.

Modell owned the Browns from 1961-1995, but earned the vitriol of Browns fans when he decided to move the team to Baltimore after the '95 season. Modell later said he did so to avoid filing bankrutpcy.

Pretty sad that the Modell family thinks that the clowns fans will disrespect him!!!! Stay Classy Cleveland!!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ja, the Browns would of booed like crazy especially tha "dawg pound"... and it would of looked bad as well.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Probably a good call by the Modell family.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wouldn't expect anything different from Cleveland. They hate Modell with a passion, regardless of whether it's a classy move or not to honor him there's no sense bringing up bad blood on gameday

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    The fans here are the definition of classless. Either way, Cleveland can't stop looking bad!
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Draft Pick
    Would we be any less livid if someone tried to move the Steelers to Baltimore??

My Mood
    Cool
    Think about it before crucifying the Browns fans on this one guys/gals. If someone had taken the Steelers away from Pittsburgh, how would you feel? Probably the exact same as they do. If the team had the kind of success that the Steelers do now, it would hurt that much worse too.

I respect that the Browns granted the Modell family that much, and love him or hate him, Art did a lot for the NFL community during his lifetime. No sense to have the family hear reports of what some bitter Cleveland sports fans think of him.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Art Moddell did what was best financially. The city screwed him over. They bought the Indians a new stadium and they were horrible, and they shared the old stadium with the browns so the revenues dropped. Then they bought the cavs a new crib way before Lebron. They told Art they couldnt afford a new palce for him, he paid millions of dollars out of his own pocket to redo the old stadium, no help from the city. As soon as he left mysteriously they came up with the money for a new stadium. Cleveland does nothing right, screw them, R.I.P. Art

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenal TJ View Post
    Think about it before crucifying the Browns fans on this one guys/gals. If someone had taken the Steelers away from Pittsburgh, how would you feel? Probably the exact same as they do.
    I totally get what you're saying, but after last night I really wouldn't mind if the Rooneys packed up the entire black and yellow bus and shipped it to Turdbirdville. When pop Rooney owned this team they made better decisions. Now that baby Rooney is calling the shots it's been one stupid move after another.

Yeah, I know my opinion isn't gonna be popular but there it is. I've been bleeding black and yellow for 40 years and the last few seasons has made me sick.

My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool58 View Post
    I totally get what you're saying, but after last night I really wouldn't mind if the Rooneys packed up the entire black and yellow bus and shipped it to Turdbirdville. When pop Rooney owned this team they made better decisions. Now that baby Rooney is calling the shots it's been one stupid move after another.

Yeah, I know my opinion isn't gonna be popular but there it is. I've been bleeding black and yellow for 40 years and the last few seasons has made me sick.
    Interesting view on things there, any specific examples?

Thread Information