Thread: Let's get the sack total off to a good start in Denver

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Let's get the sack total off to a good start in Denver

Just thinking about the game this morning, and one of the things that I was thinking about was how many sacks the Steelers can realistically get in this game. Last year we finished tied for 17th in the league (with the Jets), with only 35 sacks. In 2010 we were #1 with 48 sacks, and in 2009 we were second overall with 47 sacks.

Last year was just terrible with all the injuries to the front 7, mainly the Linebackers, so it's no wonder the sack total dropped. This year isn't starting out all that better with Harrison out and probably limited the first few games of the season.

Anyway, this unit has got to get after Manning. You don't beat him by sitting back and dropping extra players in coverage all day long. You've got to get up and get in his face, make him throw sooner than he wants and get him thinking about the pass rush. It won't be easy but our defense is a pressure defense, sitting back in coverage and waiting for a pass isn't how you draw it up.

Ed Bouchette had an interesting stat in his column this morning:

It's not easy getting to Manning. He's been sacked just 231 times in 13 seasons. He's attempted 7,210 passes. The most he's been sacked is 29 times in 2001.

For perspective, Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 314 times in eight seasons. He's attempted 3,313 passes, fewer than half as many as Manning. Roethlisberger has been sacked fewer than 30 times once, in 2005 when he missed four games with injuries.

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Rookie Free Agent
    I'm more concerned with them improving the turnover ratio than sacks this year. I'm not sure where we ranked in turnovers but it was horrible.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheetz View Post
    I'm more concerned with them improving the turnover ratio than sacks this year. I'm not sure where we ranked in turnovers but it was horrible.
    I was just about to post the same exact thing.

However, I do realize that increased sack numbers (increased pressure on the QB) will in turn lead to more turn overs.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I would rather see more turnovers as well.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sacks, Turnovers, passes defensed, it's all important. The more you can get to Manning the more chances you have for turnovers. Yes, splash plays with interception and fumble recoveries is HUGE this year.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Would love to see Ike come away with a pick tonight, hell I'd love to see him have more than 2 on the year. I think he's got it in the bag though, this is going to be a good season for him.

The whole defense needs to step up and hold onto that ball every time it hits your hands...no missed opportunities!

Rookie Free Agent
    sacks lead to turn overs

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    They said Denver would be running alot of no huddle to wear down our D in the altitude.
    I say bring it Denver,and hope to god LeBeau blitzes the living **** outta Manning.
    I love how they always bring up the altitude b.s. in Denver. Either your in shape
    or your not,Manning will be sucking Oxygen as much as the next guy in the no huddle.

Let's get the sack total off to a good start in Denver

I'd be shocked if we sack manning tonight. He just doesn't take them, I just hope he's floating balls so we can start the season with some damn take aways.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information