Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall, Redman, or Dwyer...who should start?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Mendenhall, Redman, or Dwyer...who should start?

Not many of us thought that Mendenhall would even be able to take the field in practice yet, let alone work in full pads with the rest of the team so early. He deserves nothing but respect for how quickly he's been able to get back from his ACL surgery. For that many, Starks and Hampton do as well.

If you read the excerpt below, it talks about how Mendy was in practice today, minus the red jersey and teammates were in impressed. Tomlin didn't rule him out of the Denver game, but also said that between Dwyer and Redman it would likely come down to how Redman's ankle holds up this week.

I personally agree with Bouchette that it's a smokescreen but you never know.

It wasn't long ago that Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall was viewed as a shoe-in to start the regular season on the outside looking in. General manager Kevin Colbert talked openly about Mendenhall landing on the reserve/PUP list for the first six weeks of the season following anterior cruciate ligament surgery just eight months ago.

"He looked incredible," Brett Keisel told Jim Wexell of Scout.com.

"I thought he looked great," said Lawrence Timmons. "He was running well, finishing runs. I'm excited for him."

Coach Mike Tomlin is even toying with the idea of starting Mendenhall over Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer in Sunday night's season opener against the Denver Broncos, according to the site.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette told WTZN-FM that he doesn't expect Mendenhall to play and called his return to practice nothing more than Tomlin pulling levers to get the Broncos "thinking a little bit."
    NFL.com

Mendenhall, Redman, or Dwyer...who should start?

Mendy is the best RB on the roster hands down! Dwyer I think has earned the next spot, Red has showed nothing in camp other than he's not tough enough to be a starter in the NFL.

I love Mendenhall, and I'm thrilled he's coming along faster than anticipated. Having said that, I don't him to rush back (no pun intended). The best way to go would be to start Dwyer, have Redman on short yardage and for he and Rainey to both be used (not necessarily at the same time) on third downs. Dwyer has shown that he is the superior back to Redman. I think they should either sit Mendenhall until the 4th game (after the bye) or ease him into it week 2 and 3 (sitiational stuff), to get him ready to carry the load starting week 5.

So, I think Dwyer should start in Denver, though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited to see Mendenhall out there.

Go with the healthiest RB which means Mendy is out and perhaps Redman as well. Glad Mendy is "mending", but would not rush him back unless there was no other option. Key is productive yardage and no turnovers. If Dwyer can do that, and he is the healthiest, then he should get the start.

I agree with Bouchette that this is a smoke screen. I don't believe Mike Tomlin would rush him back.

I think Redman will start, . . he seeded to do okay in Denver last time out . . .

I'd be very surprised if Mendy played at all.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think Dwyer earned the start, but believe Redman will start.

There is no sense rushing (no pun intended) Mendy back. Maybe give Mendy 3 - 5 carries, depending on the game's progress.

C-town

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Dwyer has proven he is ready and he earned the start......Mendy as many have said is a "Smoke Screen"....but I am glad he is practicing.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's just no reason to rush Mendenhall back right now. If Redman is still not quite ready to return then you start Dwyer and maybe use Redman sparingly. Honestly even if Redman couldn't go, I still don't rush back Mendenhall because you'll need him later in the year.

dwyer looks so much better than redman its not even close. redman the former training camp hero has seemed to have fallen off a bit, which is because he cant handle a full load. Dwyer looks quick and decisive.

I love the mendenhall talk, i so not think hes going to play this week but its at least encouraging to see him working really hard and playing well at this stage, i could see him being ready in 2-3 weeks and for sure after the bye

Thread Information