Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeCastro may not be put on IR for a few weeks yet

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation DeCastro may not be put on IR for a few weeks yet

Browsing through Twitter this morning and came across Ed Bouchette's tweet in reference to his column talking about Wallace starting, Harrison and Worilds practicing, etc. but also some info as to why Essex has not yet been brought back and also why DeCastro is still on the active roster.

The Steelers did not make a roster move Monday and might not do so until next week -- or even a few more -- for several reasons.

They can put rookie offensive guard David DeCastro on injured reserve with the new special designation that he can be brought back in eight weeks. At the moment, he is on the 53-man roster. DeCastro's injury, which included a torn MCL, will keep him out longer than eight weeks, it has been determined.

If they do nothing now, they keep their options open in case they have another such injury, perhaps to a more vital player they would rather designate for the eight-week injured-reserve spot. Only one player can be given that designation.

Also, if they at least wait until after the first game, put DeCastro on the eight-week injured reserve and re-sign veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex, Essex's salary for this season will not be guaranteed. If they sign him before the first game, he would receive his entire salary -- and it would count against their cap -- no matter what.

From the PG

business as usual

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    So the starters are: Starks, Colon, MP, Foster and Gilbert. Right?
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    Makes sense.

Rookie Free Agent
    I don't get it. This makes no sense to me. I had no idea who the Steelers may have used that roster spot on, but I was hoping it was ST player who came in and made a game changing big play like maybe forcing a fumble on a punt that led to a game winning score etc. etc.

Why would they wait? The rule reads "One thing about the new rule is you are not required to bring the player back after eight weeks. If, for example, DeCastro is not deemed ready after eight weeks, they can keep him on IR and pull him off when they want, say after 12 weeks."

Why wait? What if he really is ready at six weeks to practice and 8 weeks to play. He has to be on the IR for at least 8 weeks. Any delay would negate his chance to play that week. This makes no sense to me. But then again, trying to figure out the Steelers strategy on matters like this I am Zero for Ever.

It is early in the day, however. What time do those league offices close?

Rookie Free Agent
    BRC said: Browsing through Twitter this morning and came across Ed Bouchette's tweet in reference to his column talking about Wallace starting, Harrison and Worilds practicing, etc. but also some info as to why Essex has not yet been brought back and also why DeCastro is still on the active roster.

The Steelers did not make a roster move Monday and might not do so until next week -- or even a few more -- for several reasons.

They can put rookie offensive guard David DeCastro on injured reserve with the new special designation that he can be brought back in eight weeks. At the moment, he is on the 53-man roster. DeCastro's injury, which included a torn MCL, will keep him out longer than eight weeks, it has been determined.

If they do nothing now, they keep their options open in case they have another such injury, perhaps to a more vital player they would rather designate for the eight-week injured-reserve spot. Only one player can be given that designation.

Sep 4 was the day that players could be designated for that IR rule.

In another thread the possibility of waiting a bit and using the PUP rule for DD was mentioned. Suggesting a recovery sooner than expected. But, the most likely reason is that rule about the guaranteed salary.

If 8 weeks is the minimum for the IR'd player to return then why delay.? I also disagree with Essex returning. More than likely he would not even be activated.

I am surprised at the little interest in this matter. Hey! This move could impact this entire season in a very big way.

Also, if they at least wait until after the first game, put DeCastro on the eight-week injured reserve and re-sign veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex, Essex's salary for this season will not be guaranteed. If they sign him before the first game, he would receive his entire salary -- and it would count against their cap -- no matter what.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplaysteel View Post
    I don't get it. This makes no sense to me.
    My thoughts exactly. They could bring back Essex and then cut him again if necessary to bring in another WR or something.

Logic is on the side of DD not being back at all. They are saving the IR spot for a real need, like if a #1 starter breaks a bone.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Logic is on the side of DD not being back at all. They are saving the IR spot for a real need, like if a #1 starter breaks a bone.
    Yeah, that is what many of us do not want to accept. No sense wasting that move. An example would be Mendy's 1st year. Many thought his shoulder could have been healed in Dec.

But, also the opposite could be true. Maybe he is expected to be back much sooner than expected. That is also a possible option.

There also is the possibility they are considering making a major acquisition to fill that spot.

Oh well, regardless whether or not any or no move is made on this the focus is now on the game Sunday

--- On to Denver! HWGS! HWG!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    What's the difference between using a roster spot to carry DD or using a roster spot to carry someone else who may get injured early in the season? Either way, you're still using a roster spot.

Thread Information