Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line a tough call in final roster cuts for Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Offensive Line a tough call in final roster cuts for Steelers?

How much does the offensive line complicate final roster cuts?

If you're on twitter and you follow Jim Wexell or Neal Coolong of BTSC (I'd highly recommend both) then you might have seen the short debate they had going on this morning. Wexell is one of my favorite Steelers media guys because he'll tell it like it is and doesn't care who he calls out.

Neal is good friend of SA and writes for BTSC, I personally enjoy his work quite a bit.

They were talking about the number of offensive lineman the Steelers could carry, and still keep DeCastro, and how other positions may be more questionable than the OL.

The Steelers only carry 7 active offensive lineman each week for a game so let's assume that you have Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Legursky, and Essex. There's your 7.

Then you figure in guys like Kelvin Beachum, Chris Scott, John Malecki and DeCastro for roster spots. Beachum would almost definitely clear waivers and could be placed on the PS, same goes for Malecki. Chris Scott would likely as well. If they did want to keep 8 lineman on the active roster than Scott could be that guy. If they carry DeCastro then there's 9. Keeping 10 isn't out of the question but you wonder what the need would be when most would last on the PS.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    and because of what you just said Blitz, it's going to make the final cuts for the whole team very interesting.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    How much does the offensive line complicate final roster cuts?

If you're on twitter and you follow Jim Wexell or Neal Coolong of BTSC (I'd highly recommend both) then you might have seen the short debate they had going on this morning. Wexell is one of my favorite Steelers media guys because he'll tell it like it is and doesn't care who he calls out.

Neal is good friend of SA and writes for BTSC, I personally enjoy his work quite a bit.

They were talking about the number of offensive lineman the Steelers could carry, and still keep DeCastro, and how other positions may be more questionable than the OL.

The Steelers only carry 7 active offensive lineman each week for a game so let's assume that you have Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Legursky, and Essex. There's your 7.

Then you figure in guys like Kelvin Beachum, Chris Scott, John Malecki and DeCastro for roster spots. Beachum would almost definitely clear waivers and could be placed on the PS, same goes for Malecki. Chris Scott would likely as well. If they did want to keep 8 lineman on the active roster than Scott could be that guy. If they carry DeCastro then there's 9. Keeping 10 isn't out of the question but you wonder what the need would be when most would last on the PS.
    You left Adams out of the first seven so the choice is legs or trai they would have to cut one of them and carry 9 with DeCastro personally i think they are sandbagging us with his injury don't get me wrong it's serious but not near season ending. this is the perfect case for a disabiled list like in baseball that would be cool
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 08-30-2012 at 10:06 AM.

This should help:

@AdamSchefter: NFLPa Agreed to move trade deadline back and the new IR rule.

@AdamSchefter: Teams now will be allowed to re-activate one player from Reserve/Injured during the 2012 season, subject to certain restrictions.

Only players with a "major injury" who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.
    Last edited by Big T; 08-30-2012 at 11:55 AM.

The IR rule rules for Decastro.. Adams and Ryan Lee missing..

Would Adams see some playing time early on this season?
    "HAIL TO PITT"

My Mood
    Manic
    I think Tomlin will rotate Starks and Adams often throughout the season .

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    The IR rule rules for Decastro.. Adams and Ryan Lee missing..
    I think Decastro should sit the entire yr regardless ...when/if he returns he will be a rookie coming off a severe knee injury...no experience or chemistry with team in the most important time of year....

My Money says Decatro doesent play a Single down this yr

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantman View Post
    I think Decastro should sit the entire yr regardless ...when/if he returns he will be a rookie coming off a severe knee injury...no experience or chemistry with team in the most important time of year....r
    Uhhhhhhhh. . . . .

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If and when DeCastro returns, they aren't going to just stick him in after Ramon Foster has done the job all year. If Foster is playing well and the team is doing well they will keep DeCastro as a backup in case something happens late in the year or the post season. Even as a first round draft pick, I couldn't justify putting him in over Foster if things are going well.

Thread Information