Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oline still a mess

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Oline still a mess

What was shaping up as the best offensive line in the NFL has gone to shambles. The Steelers will head into the 2012 season much like the 2011 season, with a poorly built Oline. To the Steelers credit they did address it in the off season. Decastro and Adams were drafted. They did resign Max Starks. Fortunately, Willie Colon is back. That may be the only good news for the Steelers. Decastro's season has been derailed with an injury. Adams needs a year or two to develop.

Now, the Steelers will have Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, instead of Adams, Colon, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert. It's not that Starks is a bad player. He ranks 29th in the league for left tackles. But if you want a formidable run offense, you're going to need a good line. The Steelers don't have that. If one of the starters goes down, then the steelers reserves is quite thin. No one wants to rely on the likes of Beachum to protect Ben's blindside. I imagine Krugler would switch Gilbert to the left side.

I would expect a few games like the Ravens and Colts. Ben will have to revert to his signature scrambling. Five sacks a game minimum. Let's just hope the D can win a few games that the O probably can't.

Oline still a mess

I've not been impressed with the play of Pouncey this preseason. I can agree this line is a mess right now and needs some work but like every year we've gotten use to it!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I too am upset with the way the O-line has seemed to turn. I really wanted us to get back to a more balanced offense. I'm scared for Ben. Seriously. I'm tired of watching him take the *** beatings he takes. At this point, I'd actually welcome them trying to call plays that roll the pocket to keep him out of harms way. I'm kinda down on our hopes of being able to run the ball as effectively as we need to.

Adams has been disappointing but In hindsight, I guess there was a reason he was available when we got him. He needs another year of maturation, practice and growth.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I've not been impressed with the play of Pouncey this preseason. I can agree this line is a mess right now and needs some work but like every year we've gotten use to it!
    Well..atleast Pouncey knows what to expect and what he needs to elevate his play to in the next two weeks. linebackers are thin, O-line is thin...and between the tackle runningbacks are thin. Guess it's no secret what we do in the next draft huh?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The play calling (short passes, screens, etc.) will be the only salvation this year. BA could never understand we had a woeful offensive line that could not block a 7-step drop to give time for the home-run ball.

The play calling will improve the line's play this year. It has to.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Trade Mike Wallace for some O-Lineman around the league.

Good ones as well.

My Mood
    Manic
    Crazy talk the o-line will be fine as long as they stay at the same position and stay heatlhy
    'ty

Oline still a mess

I agree they'll be fine, just need to feed them some wheaties!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Crazy talk the o-line will be fine as long as they stay at the same position and stay heatlhy
    'ty
    Better play calling will immediately help the OL.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Key for any offensive line is the health of the starting 5. If Foster is the guy for the whole season and they can keep everyone else healthy then I like the chances of this group. If they go into musical chairs mode again, Ben is going to get killed and we'll be talking about the same issues we have in years past with how the offensive line needs help.

Thread Information