Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Haley Holding Back ?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Was Haley Holding Back ?

I am curious, does anyone else feel that Haley was holding back? I know a full exposure of the playbook is not the norm in preseason play, but it just seemed that offensive schemes, especially in the first half, were pretty straightforward with not much variety. For example, I did not notice any slant plays, no deep balls from Ben, nor was there much use of the tight ends. These observations lead me to believe that Haley is holding some cards in his sleeves, more so than other teams in normal preseason play. Let me also add that I am aware that every OC has a unique "bag of tricks," these are not the type of plays I am referring to.

Now . . . keep in mind I did not review stats, these are just my perceptions. What do other Addicts think? Is he holding back, or is what we saw what we get for the most part?

Also, I am not complaining about the offense, I think both the first, second, and third teams did great. Brown got it on!

Draft Pick
    I think for the most part what you see is what you get. I've said this a bunch of times recently, but from reading various sites Haley is the king of the 1-2 yard pass. The main complaints about him were the use of the bubble screen, too many 1-2 yard passes, and using the draw on 3rd and long. All of these things led to a bunch of 3 and outs. That's largely what we've seen thus far. Outside of one drive vs the Eagles and the two minute drive last night the starting offense has largely sputtered. How many times did we see the offense facing a 3rd and long situation and the Bills concede the 5 yard pass?

I'm honestly not sure what you think the starters showed last night. If you're being objective outside of the 2 minute drill the starters didn't do much of anything. If it wasn't for a decent play by Dwyer on a poorly thrown ball on 3rd and long that drive would have stalled as well.

Was Haley Holding Back ?

I think he was, why show anything in preseason? Hell the ravens went all out, now every team they play early has their looks.

Ben said the long drive was him calling plays not Haley..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Most definitely he was holding back. Emmanuel Sanders said earlier this past week that lack of big plays on deep patterns is the result of the gameplan, not a lack of talent or ability.

If they can get through the preseason just working on the basics, controlling the line of scrimmage, get some first downs, etc. then they are pretty happy. I think you'll see a whole different offense in Denver.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I think he was, why show anything in preseason? Hell the ravens went all out, now every team they play early has their looks.

Ben said the long drive was him calling plays not Haley..

I don't buy the whole he isn't showing his cards argument for two reasons. First you have to practice to be successful and there's no better gauge than performing against live competition. Secondly that's really only useful for the 1st game after that the cat is out of the bag.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Most definitely he was holding back. Emmanuel Sanders said earlier this past week that lack of big plays on deep patterns is the result of the gameplan, not a lack of talent or ability.

If they can get through the preseason just working on the basics, controlling the line of scrimmage, get some first downs, etc. then they are pretty happy. I think you'll see a whole different offense in Denver.
    That's great, but they haven't controlled the line of scrimmage. They've been giving up sacks and frequently losing the battle at the LOS in the running game. Also Sanders' comment was in regards to Wallace's holdout. Here's the precursor to the comment you're referencing "But according to receiver Emmanuel Sanders, that has nothing to do with holdout Mike Wallace yet to report to camp or the notion that the current group of receivers doesn’t have the skill set to get deep.".
    Last edited by strummerfan; 08-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's freaking preseason,this preseason alone has been better than any preseason under Air head Arians, u don't show your hand until Sep 9th when it actually counts, i like the way we run screens now,i like the way we run the ball now,i believe we all will be pleasantly surprised come opening night,this will be a special season if we don't have anymore seriously injuries...
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 08-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

they are mastering the basics, evaluating players at key positions and trying to stay healthy. Of course they are not showing everything they have. Nor should they. The Broncos can go look at all the Arizona Cardinal tape (with Kurt Warner) that they can find. It won't help them figure us out for this game. Our strengths will be different from those teams so the Broncos have no idea what their in for when they play us. But our defense knows exactly what Manning wants to do.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    I don't buy the whole he isn't showing his cards argument for two reasons. First you have to practice to be successful and there's no better gauge than performing against live competition. Secondly that's really only useful for the 1st game after that the cat is out of the bag.
    If it get's you a win in week 1 it's well worth it. The Bronco's can game plan against what they know of Ben and company. But they really have little to none of actually plays. I'd say there's no doubt that we are holding cards.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Addicted
    Holding back, no doubt.

Thread Information