Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To screen or not to screen

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question To screen or not to screen

Todd Haley and the offense are going to be using the screen pass and short dump offs as a significant part of the offense this year. At least if you've watched either preseason game or any of training camp you would get that feeling. We know that those quick passes help keep Big Ben off the turf, the clock moving, and the defense honest. The bubble screens though have gotten a bad wrap when BA was here because that's about the only screens we ever saw with any consistency and teams were quick to key on it as soon as they lined up with 3 receivers to either side. I wonder if how many bubble screens we'll see this season..LOL

This year they should be able to keep the defense a bit more honest by mixing things up with not only personnel but also using those types of short passes much more effectively by not being so predictable with them.

Chris Rainey, assuming he makes the team, could be a beast in that role and in the quick slant passes too.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I like it, with our speed, and the way Brown and Wallace , and now Raimey can juke up the field.... then surprise them one the cb cheat up! Maybe thats the plan, in preseaon show everyone the screen, dink and dunk, then bust the downfield once they move up!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

We were sick of seeing all the bubble screens but they were very effective. I think we averaged 7 or 8 yards a catch on them. Mixing it up with other screens should only be a positive and open up all aspects of the offense. It was frustrating to watch Ben get sacked so much knowing the screen is a great tool to combat that and never see it get called.

Against the Eagles the screen works to perfection. Their lineman have one thing on their mind sacks and they always over commit. The Pats 3rd string offense killed the Eagles with screens the other night too.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I didn't hate the fact that we ran bubble screens, I hated the fact that we ran bubble screens to a 35 year old receiver who couldn't beat Casey Hampton in a foot race.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That was a huge gripe too, running them to Hines 5 years ago was fine. Running them last year was just a disaster. Being tough is all well and good but you have to have a quick first step to run that effectively.

Wallace and Brown on the slant patterns and Rainey on the screens could be lethal.

And now playing the part of Hines Ward - Reggie Wayne. I got a little nostalgic just watching him the other night.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like the screen play. Very good weapon in keeping your QB healthy but slowing a pass rush. With our WR corp they can take a screen to the house on any given play.

C-Town

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: To screen or not to screen

Don't forget as Wexell tweeted it was a play action screen pass not just a screen pass.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    I like it, with our speed, and the way Brown and Wallace , and now Raimey can juke up the field.... then surprise them one the cb cheat up! Maybe thats the plan, in preseaon show everyone the screen, dink and dunk, then bust the downfield once they move up!

We all cringed when Arian kept doing the bubble screens. But...with Rainey on the team, we'd be crazy not to run that play atleast twice a game. Rainy, Brown, Wallace could all excel at that. We've got weapons on offense. Just a matter of utilizing them properly and timely.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    And now playing the part of Hines Ward - Reggie Wayne. I got a little nostalgic just watching him the other night.
    i thought wayne looked good the other night

Thread Information