Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sean Kugler Asset or liability?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Preseason...comparing to the Colts or any team fur that matter isn't really fair at this point...
    WHY isn't it fair too compare one teams progress to another they are learning a new system too and there line played solid

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I don't have much of an opinion on Kugler. But to talk about progress or lack thereof of the current OL after two preseason games, with injuries and limited starter play, is very shortsighted IMO.

This line(and to some extent, Kugler) will be better evaluated after game 5/6 of regular season.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Well this seasonwill let us see the real Kugler he has talent to work withso there are no excuses..
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by tburg68 View Post
    I don't have much of an opinion on Kugler. But to talk about progress or lack thereof of the current OL after two preseason games, with injuries and limited starter play, is very shortsighted IMO.

This line(and to some extent, Kugler) will be better evaluated after game 5/6 of regular season.
    So if you were the coach it would be ok to under achieve for the first six weeks?.if that is the case why play preseason let's just go willy nilly through the first 5 weeks

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    So if you were the coach it would be ok to under achieve for the first six weeks?.if that is the case why play preseason let's just go willy nilly through the first 5 weeks
    It's not under achieving. An O Line gets better the more it plays together as a unit. Young guys need real game experience to get up to speed in the pro game, and need to play with the same teammates repetitvely. Preseason games are not a true test for growing O Line continuity because the lineup is changing continuely. They will need a few games to gel.

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Sean Kugler Asset or liability?

Dont forget Adams and decastro had no OTA's. They were true rookies starting camp with limited pad practices because of the CBA. They just need time.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    My Main point is that pouncey,Colon,Gilbert are all great run blockers so at least we should be able to run block and we can't .I am recovering from an injury so i have watched just about every pre-season game so far and the steelers look terrible
    Terrible? Dwyer ran with the starting unit last week and had 8 rushes for 43 yards (5.4YPA). That is "terrible?" It would have tied the league lead with Carolina last year whose numbers were inflated because they had a running QB. Even if you count the stats with the Wendy's drive-thru crew that played for 3/4 of the game, they still had 4.1 YPA which would have been in the middle of the pack of last years NFL team rushing leaders. They ran for 136 yards total, which would have put them sixth in the league for yards rushing per game if extrapolated over an entire season.

...the colts line was far better in all phases
    The Colts ran for 85 yards on 24 carries for 3.5 YPA. How is that better than the "terrible" performance of our OL?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

they looked good run blocking, even adams looked good run blocking

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Terrible? Dwyer ran with the starting unit last week and had 8 rushes for 43 yards (5.4YPA). That is "terrible?" It would have tied the league lead with Carolina last year whose numbers were inflated because they had a running QB. Even if you count the stats with the Wendy's drive-thru crew that played for 3/4 of the game, they still had 4.1 YPA which would have been in the middle of the pack of last years NFL team rushing leaders. They ran for 136 yards total, which would have put them sixth in the league for yards rushing per game if extrapolated over an entire season.

The Colts ran for 85 yards on 24 carries for 3.5 YPA. How is that better than the "terrible" performance of our OL?
    Truth will not be tolerated on this forum!

My Main point is that pouncey,Colon,Gilbert are all great run blockers so at least we should be able to run block and we can't .I am recovering from an injury so i have watched just about every pre-season game so far and the steelers look terrible
    Gilbert is not a "great" run blocker. He's not terrible by any means, but pass protection is his forte. He was ranked 13th in the NFL last season in Pass Bloking Efficiency by PFF, out of all tackles in the league.

Now Colon, Pouncey, and DeCastro are all very very good run blockers, even Adams has looked good in that department. Seriously just give then time. I swear Steelers fans tend to put way too much stock, good and bad, into preseason play.

Thread Information