Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clark says his comments affected the Steelers in 2011

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Clark says his comments affected the Steelers in 2011

Looks like Ryan Clark is going to tone down the off field chatter this year. Although if and when the situation arises where a flag is thrown for a legal hit and a subsequent fine is handed down that he or the Steelers don't agree with, I'm sure there will be words said.

Don't underestimate Clark's value to this defense, chatter or not, he's a big reason that Troy can do all the free lancing that he does.

The Steelers have always been known as a hard nosed team, a physical team, people have always called them dirty. By people, I mean idiot rival fans or the occasional player from another AFC North team. You can't stop that completely, there will always be haters.

When being forthright starts to affect the way your team is viewed and the perception of the organization, it’s time for a change.

Following a year in which Clark routinely denounced NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (referring to him as Roger in an admitted sign of disrespect) and was seemingly involved in a daily war-of-words with somebody, the veteran Steelers’ safety is going quiet — all for the greater good of the team.

“Some of the attention that you draw when the statements you make are against the people who make the rules, I think it makes it harder on your team,” Clark said. “When it starts to affect the way your team is viewed, when it starts affecting the perception of your organization, you have to look at it and understand the greater good.”

The Steelers were the only team that didn’t vote in favor of the new collective bargaining agreement last August, citing Goodell would have too much power when it came to disciplinary actions.

“The perception of our team was starting to be tainted,” Clark said. “It went from us being hard-nosed, tough football players to maybe being dirty and not really caring about rules. That wasn’t the case; It was that you were feeling that you were mistreated.”

The realization that the organization was being viewed in a negative light was a big factor for Clark’s sudden change of philosophy.

“I think image is important for a lot of things, especially in the entertainment industry,” said Troy Polamalu, who Clark had a conversation with about toning it down this year.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Clark’s decision of not lashing out this year was not mandated by the organization.

“We believe that players are entitled to their opinions, but we try to give them guidelines as the best way to go about it for themselves and the organization,” Colbert said. “We encourage them to handle their business in a professional manner because it is a part of their job.”

Clark has never been disciplined by the league or the organization for what he’s said publicly, but he has had to repeatedly defend himself, mostly after critical social media posts.

Clark tweeted about the Saints bounties and the “snitches” that turned them in, how “nobody” wanted to sign with the Dolphins because general manager Jeff Ireland is “not a good guy making decisions” and boasted about the New England’s Super Bowl XLVI loss to the N.Y. Giants when he tweeted “0-2 post spy gate!”

And then there was that public feud between Clark and ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless this spring on “First Take.”

“As players, we are expected to be muted soldiers,” guard Willie Colon said. “They want us to play and not complain and not have opinions and not express emotions. I have never had problems with what he said because when he would lash out, I always can count him talking with an educated mindset.”

“We were starting to fight other people’s battles,” Clark said. “Any time a hit came up, they asked us and we would go off about the commissioner … and that wasn’t helping us out at all.”

“I want to focus on football,” Clark said. “Our time to win a championship is winding down so I want to put all my focus into that. But I am (still) going to give my opinion.

“There is no situation where I said I am going to shut up. I am going to be me, I am going to speak out and be honest.”
    TribLive

I love the way Colbert put it. They didn't mandate it but they certainly let him know how they think he should act, along with some of the more mature team mates. Ryan certainly didn't decide this on his own. But he had to add:
    “There is no situation where I said I am going to shut up. I am going to be me, I am going to speak out and be honest.”
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Clark says his comments affected the Steelers in 2011

I hope he does keep quiet. Sometimes I feel like Clark is the little dog from the cartoons that always talked big because he had that huge dog with him. He is the weakest link on that defense.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

2nd String
    Clark is underrated to this defense ... I agree maybe like a single person he's the weakest, but in a team overall scheam of things he is not the weakest, no where close

He might not be the fastest, but i believe he is smart player, and he and troy are comfortable with each other and he allows troy be troy and do what ever he wants. He doesn't let people get behind him to much, and he's quick up to the box to stuff the run ... He is a great fit for the defense and Troy

Ex. #1 pass def last year only giving up like what 4 plays of 40+ yards all year... Denver game what happened without Clark?? ... now I agree the game plan was horrible but not having Clark def. hurt a lot

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm not the biggest Ryan Clark fan. I wish they groom someone to take his place. I don't like what he brings. Too much mouth, can't play in Denver (and it seems like we are in Denver every year) and he drops a ton of balls that should be intercepted.

I really would like to upgrade his position.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    I don't .like guys who are running their mouth all the time. It just gives ammunition to the other team.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's nobody to groom right now in his position, he and Troy are still the best at what they do and each one feeds off the other on the field. Ryan Mundy is a very capable backup, solid but not spectacular. The secondary is different when either Troy or Ryan aren't in there.

He's still got two years left on his contract so I would expect them to seriously go after a Safety pretty high in the draft next year.

As far as his talking, it's gets to be over the top now and then but in reality it's usually true. The Steelers were the only team to not vote in favor of the new CBA for a reason. They all believe what they believe and they'll stand behind it. I honestly don't care if Clark talks or doesn't talk all that much but the penalties for late hits or questionable helmet to helmet contact are what drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

As far as his talking, it's gets to be over the top now and then but in reality it's usually true. The Steelers were the only team to not vote in favor of the new CBA for a reason. They all believe what they believe and they'll stand behind it. I honestly don't care if Clark talks or doesn't talk all that much but the penalties for late hits or questionable helmet to helmet contact are what drive me nuts.
    The problem is all the bitching about it does no good. Maybe it makes them feel like they are big honest men but it doesn't help win games. In fact it hurts them. The refs hear their whining and they take is as an insult. No one likes to be insulted especially a power hungry ref. So Ryan should shut up and play. If he wants to talk get a job talking after he retires.

You attract what you think and even more what you say.

“A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes. – Gandhi”
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think that's what made the light bulb come on for Clark last year. They get so much bad press as it is between Harrison's fines and Clarks fines and talking that he figures it's time to just tone it down a bit. I'm sure he'll have something to say at least a few times this year but flying under the radar of the league, if that's even possible anymore, isn't a bad thing.

He needs to keep quiet..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information