Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definite emphasis on the run game so far in preseason, time to work on the pass?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Definite emphasis on the run game so far in preseason, time to work on the pass?

If the Steelers coaches are trying to deliver a message to their players and to the fans in the preseason that they are going to run the ball this year; message received loud and clear. 75-53 run/pass ratio so far as Ed Bouchette points out. 58.6 percent of the time they are running it so far, even more than the Jerome Bettis days.

It is still preseason so now is the time to work on the basics of your offense but if you're a fan of the run game, so far at least, this offense is for you.

Maybe they start working on the passing game more this weekend against the Bills or maybe they just stick to the run game. I'd like to see them open up just a tad more for the starters, but with an offensive line full of new faces or old faces in new positions, perhaps working on the ground attack is the best way to go indeed.

Mike Tomlin and Todd Haley delivered another strong message without saying anything.

They spoke in deeds and in numbers.

First, with Bruce Arians patrolling the other sideline, the Steelers opened Sunday night's game on offense with three consecutive running plays against the Colts. It wasn't just a gesture but a way in which they are trying to deliver on a desire expressed by the club's president 3 1/2 years ago when Arians was coordinator and Art Rooney said the team needed to run the ball better.

If the team does not do so in 2012, it won't be for a lack of trying.

The Steelers ran 36 times against Indianapolis and passed on just 24 occasions (plus the three when quarterbacks were sacked). After two preseason games, they have run 75 times and, counting 10 sacks, tried to pass just 53 times.
    They have run it 58.6 percent of the time and that tops anything they did at the height of the Jerome Bettis Bus tour.

I think in the first two preseason games, coach Haley wanted to go out there and create that identity and run the football," quarterback Charlie Batch said.

They already know they can throw it, and when Mike Wallace ends his holdout, they should be able to throw it even better. When they did pass on Sunday, they did well again with a combined rating for three quarterbacks at 94.1. That gives the Steelers a combined rating of 109.25 after two preseason games.

From the PG

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-21-2012 at 08:08 AM.

I don't expect to see anything close to that high of a ratio once the season starts. I think they are simply trying to figure out what they have at running back. Along with getting the young lineman some basics.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think it's overall the correct approach, when you want to run the ball more effectively you have to work on it. The best way to get new guys experience is to put them in situations where they can excel, and every lineman loves to run the ball. That said, the pass blocking has been sub par at best for nearly everyone so protection is going to be an issue when the season starts, especially with all the rotation going on at Tackle.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I love the emphasis on the run game so far, it's sending a message that we are going to run come hell or high water. Plus it keeps the interceptions down and sacks down as well, at least in theory. I can't wait to get through preseason to see how these guys really step up when it's for real. How long will it take them to gel and become cohesive...

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Definite emphasis on the run game so far in preseason, time to work on the pass?

I love it. When Wallace ends his holdout and we are still committed to the run, what are defenses going to do. Bring up a safety, not with Wallace, Brown or Sanders. So we will open up the passing game with the run and some play action passes. I still look to see this team with over 50% running plays.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I don't expect to see anything close to that high of a ratio once the season starts. I think they are simply trying to figure out what they have at running back. Along with getting the young lineman some basics.
    I think things will balance out. I too think that if you run the ball, it creates more cohesiveness of the O-line. Which is something badly needed right now.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Manic
    Haley's pass offense is play action based.I think the feeling is if we have a great running game we can always fall back on that

Draft Pick
    This is true to an extent;however, in order to have an effective passing game it needs to be practiced as well. A qb and wr can't just flip a switch and suddenly they're on the same page and the timing issues are all worked out. OUr strength lies with Ben, Wallace,Brown, and Heath not a couple running backs that have less then 200 carries and 3 starts combined. One other thing to keep in mind is that it would be beyond stupid to pay a qb 20million per year and your top two receivers 8-10 million per year each and then revert to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

From Super Bowl XIV til Ben hit town, there was an emphasis on the running game and one Super Bowl appearance and a loss. Marty/Cowher ball chalked up wins, not championships. You have a GREAT QB for 5-8 more years, you sure as hell better take advantage of him. THIS IS A PASSING LEAGUE. I have a hell of a lot more faith in Ben and his WR core than Redman and Dwyer et al.

I am not saying forget the running game, but like strummerfan said above, it is crazy to believe the Steelers are going to tie up their money in Ben, AB, etc then play Bear Bryant ball. The rules in the NFL against touching a WR and the Steelers strengths at the QB, WR positions dictate we throw the ball....

I do think Haley will keep the D's guessing more than Arians did in the past which is a good thing, but I cannot believe a former coach of Warner, Fitz, Boldin, and Breston will all of a sudden change his stripes..............

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    I hope we do run the ball 58% of the time. That would mean we're doing well. Plus it keeps the clock moving and the D off the field so they are fresh for the 2nd half and for the whole season.

Thread Information